Is it necessary to ''de-worm'' WC's?

ah, the 100% natural and organic panacea. If you believe it probably works the same way then holy water...:rolleyes:

Well, I am an ordained Minister......

I ya want there Benny, I can bless your misting system, that way all your Chams will be cured of all ailments!!!:rolleyes::p

RepTaid has worked just fine for me........

Are you talking here about calyptratus and pardalis ?

pardalis, lat.lat., calyptratus, Varanus niloticus, Pogona vitticeps, Varanus acanthurus.

If Gesang has used it and stands by it, then I stand by it.......give it a try......if you dont try it how will "YOU" know if it works or not.......I've read enough of your posts to know that you are stuck in your ways...........give it a try there Benny......

I'm definitly not "stuck in my ways"...just think about the list of reptils you mentioned here and then imagine if those are easier to keep alive than the ones I mentioned...:rolleyes:

I would not have said what I said about my vet's comments had he not been a vet with chameleon experience. I wouldn't even bother seeing a vet who hasn't worked with Chams. I will say my vet had not ever worked on Melleri, but that wasn't much of a surprise.:rolleyes:

I'm not saying anyone thought different, just thought I should clarify after Benny's post.

*smacks* LOL it's awwwrighttt. You'd think after 7 months on the forum I'd know.. hmm, I always thought it meant Which Chameleon

Kent said..."When I receive them now, I have the same hydrate well for a few days and then assess the situation procedure"...I have to agree with you! IMHO if the chameleons are hydrated and fed and allowed to adjust to the new environment for a few days, the parasite load may decrease somewhat and give you a better chance of killing off the parasites without killing the chameleon in the process.

It was explained to me (after I figured out the above) that if the chameleon has a heavy load of parasites and you treat it for them then the waste created by the dead parasites can become toxic to the system. The system can't deal with such a heavy burden all of a sudden all at once....and you will likely lose the chameleon.

I really just hydrate, feed, let WC's settle in and then access the situation before doing anything...generally. There is always an exception to every "rule".

There is always an exception to every "rule".

And I think that's the best thing to remember. What works for one won't necessarily work for another. There's always the possibility of an exception and using your (and your vet's) best intuition is what I'd recommend first.

I've never used Reptaid...I go to a vet who tests for the species of parasites the chameleon is carrying so that its not just a "shotgun" treatment and I treat with the appropriate medication for the parasites that the chameleon is carrying.

Isn't Reptaid designed to boost the immune system and does not really kill off the parasites....no??

That would be a negative.
x2

It seems to me that the general consensus around here is that reptaid is a miracle drug and its the answer for any wc chameleon:rolleyes:. While I am not doubting it because I have never used it, the drugs administered by a vet have been thoroughly and carefully developed to treat for specific parasite issues. They are not over the counter drugs for a reason, and should be given properly and if used correctly, solve your parasitic issues(providing other parameters are correct ie. clean cages etc). But overall Adamlaskis, the proper thing to do would be to let the animal acclimate properly before begging any treatment as the others mentioned. If this is your first chameleon, I would not recommend a wc animal.

Back
Top Bottom