Is it necessary to ''de-worm'' WC's?

Yes, yes it is....................

Contribute and add some reasoning before just making a comment.... With wild caught animals, they will often come in dehydrated, and packed full of parasites. Deworming/treating for other parasites a cham allows its immune system to reach its full potential. Worms and other parasites that come with wc chameleons effect the animals metabolism, and ability to fight off everyday pathogens really to put it in simple terms. Its amazing the difference between a wc animal that has gone through proper quarantine and deworming/parasite ridding processes. They'll take on weight, eat and drink much better for you, and in the long run, live a stronger healthier life because there is nothing leaching nourishment and nutrition from their body's.

Contribute and add some reasoning before just making a comment.... With wild caught animals, they will often come in dehydrated, and packed full of parasites. Deworming/treating for other parasites a cham allows its immune system to reach its full potential. Worms and other parasites that come with wc chameleons effect the animals metabolism, and ability to fight off everyday pathogens really to put it in simple terms. Its amazing the difference between a wc animal that has gone through proper quarantine and deworming/parasite ridding processes. They'll take on weight, eat and drink much better for you, and in the long run, live a stronger healthier life because there is nothing leaching nourishment and nutrition from their body's.

Eat a Peach!!! simple question gets a simple answer....it was to the point with no bla bla bla of why. Since he didnt ask "WHY" I didnt tell

LOL you two!

As my vet put it, "With wild caughts, just because the fecal is clean doesn't mean they are parasite free, always treat for them."

As Nicodemayo, Pure, and FearAffect all said in their own special way the answer is yes. :D My veterinarian said if the paracites are there, he wants to get rid of them. In the end, it makes for a healthier animal. In the wild, paracites generally don't kill the host. That wouldn't make for a very successful parasite. But in confined enclosures, it is something you need to think about. ALSO, if you bring a WC in to your collection and don't quarantine / treat for paracites, you could be introducing something to your healthy chameleons. I would feel pretty badly if I inadvertently gave my other chameleons something which could have been prevented.
Open wide...

Attachments

• Medication.JPG
    Medication.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 219
Eat a Peach!!! simple question gets a simple answer....it was to the point with no bla bla bla of why. Since he didnt ask "WHY" I didnt tell

And you should start to think about it. Just because it's a simple question, the answer don't have to be simple. Damn ! Nicodemayo explained it very well and make jokes about it.:mad:

It depends highly on the species, the condition etc, etc...

There is some debate with this topic. Some think it's too much stress to rid the body of a buildup of parasites, others think it's fine to start medicating right away. There is also the issue of losing viable eggs from WC females if they are medicated, or the potential for organ failure should the animal not be ready to take the meds.

I personally feel that if the WC animal is healthy enough to get back to a stable and thriving state, then it's really a non issue and I don't usually medicate, but in some cases WC animals will require a bit of assistance by the time you acquire them. We just received two WC deremensis in which the female didn't come in lookin gas good as we had hoped, but i felt the stress of medicating her would have been a bit too much and decided to let her relax and "do her thing" in a well planted, heavily watered enclosure. After less than a week she looks ten times better than she did when she arrived and is becoming more active and healthier looking everyday. I'll be running some fecal's soon but I didn't want to continue the stress until she settled in a little bit. Now if she started to look worse the second or third day, test would have been run sooner and medication would definitely be an option, but as long as she continues to look better I don't see the need to medicate until shes recouped and can handle it.

Luis

Complete my opinion !

@Fearaffect: Please try to deworm wiedersheimi or bitaeniatus or merumontanus... But please don't start a thread after it with the topic "My new WC ones died, although I medicate it..." :rolleyes:

On top of all that, I doubt you enjoy the sight of big round worms swirling around on the bottom of your chameleon's cage after they were expelled from your chameleon's gut from overcrowding.

13.png

Luis, very well said and I agree 100%. In my long history with true chameleons, the majority of the species I have worked with (25ish, 1 dwarf) have been wild caught. When I receive them now, I have the same hydrate well for a few days and then assess the situation procedure. For instance, I got a wc panther a few weeks ago that was very emaciated. After a few days it became clear that he'd arrived with a respiratory infection as well. He's now off the anti-biotic for that but I still would be afraid to give him anti-parasite medications until he looks much more solid. And, also, for the record I've kept wild caught specimens of many, many species long term without ever "deworming" them. But, in general, I believe the rationale behind the first posts to always deworm them, when a vet believes they can survive it, is sound and good advice.

I can only speak from my own experience and I've always been lucky to have chameleon-experienced vets near me. I now have 3 that I would trust 100% and another that is certainly experienced enough to deal with parasites within a 25-minute drive for me. But, yes, I meant to add the disclaimer that the vet should be one experienced, and trusted.

Luis, very well said and I agree 100%. In my long history with true chameleons, the majority of the species I have worked with (25ish, 1 dwarf) have been wild caught. When I receive them now, I have the same hydrate well for a few days and then assess the situation procedure. For instance, I got a wc panther a few weeks ago that was very emaciated. After a few days it became clear that he'd arrived with a respiratory infection as well. He's now off the anti-biotic for that but I still would be afraid to give him anti-parasite medications until he looks much more solid. And, also, for the record I've kept wild caught specimens of many, many species long term without ever "deworming" them. But, in general, I believe the rationale behind the first posts to always deworm them, when a vet believes they can survive it, is sound and good advice.

I took two WC Panther's to the vet recently and he put them on Ponazuril and Panacure. However, I waited a few weeks to start treatment for the very same reason luevelvet and you mentioned... I wanted the chameleons to settle in and become more "solid" before starting the regiment. Just seems like the right thing to do.

Be realistic. Probably 70% of all vets know about as much about chameleons as my granny do...

+1. Best thing to do is do research on your own to find a good vet and challenge the vet with questions at the examination to see what their responses are in a friendly and open environment. Talk to them and see what they can teach you. You may find out pretty quick you should take your chameleon and run or they may set your heart at ease! ;)

I can only speak from my own experience and I've always been lucky to have chameleon-experienced vets near me. I now have 3 that I would trust 100% and another that is certainly experienced enough to deal with parasites within a 25-minute drive for me. But, yes, I meant to add the disclaimer that the vet should be one experienced, and trusted.

I don't think you needed a disclaimer... it was just fine as-is. :)

I'm glad someone asked, as it has been on my mind too. A week ago I acquired two pygmy leaf chams at a reptile show. I don't know if they are wc or cb, though I do suspect wc. The female seems fine, the male perhaps a little thin. They seem to be eating well, getting lots of misting. I can't find any feces (must be in the plant dirt somewhere). Is it even possible to medicate something so small? Also, for those who have heard of Reptaid, what are your thoughts on it?

I don't think you needed a disclaimer... it was just fine as-is. :)

Thank you. I think of these animals as being the type that you just wouldn't consider taking them to someone who doesn't know what they're doing. When I started in 1991 I knew that and therefore got recommendations from others. Today there is the internet and that makes it even easier. I think that "experienced" should always be implied when vets are recommended.

Forget it. Optimize their enclosure, seperate them and hope the best. That's better than any medication for pygmies

Thanks! I hadn't planned on buying anything at the show, but of course I couldn't resist a cham or two. I had to do some really quick research on this forum as to their care. I had researched other types, but never thought I'd have pymies. I'm glad I got them!

What species is it ? One of the most important points is to avoid any stress = seperate them. This and a good hydration will enlarge your chances to establish healthy WC ones

Back
Top Bottom