Is it good to have substrate

will making the enclosure bio-active save a lot of time, and if i do not what will i pt on the bottom of the enclosure to ensure that there is no bacteria to harm my vieled chameleeon

You should check out the chameleonacademy.com you can listen to the podcast if you don’t have the time to read through the website.

you need a drainage tray for the water to drain into. Are you hand misting or do you use an automated misting system?

In my experience it’s much easier for the other people on here to help with questions if you don’t make a bunch of threads with the same questions. That way people can see what other people have suggested or said about the topic you’re curious about

Can anyone tell me how bacteria can harm a chameleon when they never crawl on the ground or if you clean up after them?

Can anyone tell me how bacteria can harm a chameleon when they never crawl on the ground or if you clean up after them?

bacteria doesn’t only live on the floor of the cage.it lives on/ in basically every surface, in the air, in water. And chameleons do in fact go to the bottom from time to time. Not usually to often though.

bacteria can cause things such as a respiratory infection, mouth rot, temporal gland infection, eye infections just to name a few.

along with bad bacteria there is also beneficial bacteria.

Personally I think the bio active enclosures are gross. I get it, they work like a septic system and beneficial bacteria (along with actual bugs) eventually break down fecal matter so you don’t have to clean up daily. But how hard is it to get in a cage and clean up a poop? And who wants to have their chameleon living four feet above an OPEN SEPTIC SYSTEM? Why don’t you try that for yourself a few days and see how unpleasant and unnatural it is. Seriously! Some people lay paper towels on the bottom and you just change out the paper towels, give the floor a spot wipe with a reptile safe cleaning agent and boom you’re done. I set up my first (newbie) enclosure with ground up coconut husk substrate for a natural look and believed that was OK. I thought..this will help retain humidity and why can’t a healthy chameleon pass some inadvertently ingested finely ground soil just as they would in the wild? Additionally I loved the thought of having a chameleon litter box where I could scoop away the poop with the surrounding coconut husk and call it a day. But this isn’t the wild and yes that dirt may pass through their system but it may have also been in contact with some fecal matter which could make your cham sick. You can never watch them at all times so you don’t know what they do when you’re gone. Bare bottom with items raised a few inches from the surface is the winner. Spot clean the area where the poop was with a reptile safe disinfectant. If it’s a female make sure she has a sufficient lay bin so she doesn’t become egg bound. Trust the advice on this site but sometimes you will get conflicting ideas about what works best. Just use your best practical judgment and research a variety of reputable sources if necessary. Seek advice from your local exotic pet veterinarian too. Everyone has the best intentions for your pet.

Last edited:
Personally I think the bio active enclosures are gross. I get it, they work like a septic system and beneficial bacteria (along with actual bugs) eventually break down fecal matter so you don’t have to clean up daily. But how hard is it to get in a cage and clean up a poop? And who wants to have their chameleon living directly above an OPEN SEPTIC SYSTEM? Why don’t you try that for yourself a few days and see how unpleasant and unnatural it is. Seriously! Some people lay paper towels on the bottom and you just change out the paper towels, give the floor a spot wipe with a reptile safe cleaning agent and boom you’re done. I set up my first (newbie) enclosure with ground up coconut husk substrate for a natural look and believed that was OK. I thought..this will help retain humidity and why can’t a healthy chameleon pass some inadvertently ingested finely ground soil just as they would in the wild? Additionally I loved the thought of having a chameleon litter box where I could scoop away the poop with the surrounding coconut husk and call it a day. But this isn’t the wild and yes that dirt may pass through their system but it may have also been in contact with some fecal matter which could make your cham sick. You can never watch them at all times so you don’t know what they do when you’re gone. Bare bottom with items raised a few inches from the surface is the winner. Spot clean the area where the poop was with a reptile safe disinfectant. If it’s a female make sure she has a sufficient lay bin so she doesn’t become egg bound. Trust the advice on this site. Everyone has the best intentions for your pet.
It's not a septic tank, its an eco system. Like the one you encounter everyday outside, just in a smaller more compact version that you control what goes in there. It's also a food chain.

Even if you put paper towels down or bare bottom, unless you are there immediately as soon as your cham is pooping then your cham could go down and walk through it, feeders go in it etc and then your cham eats the feeders. Chams like most other living beings have good flora in their intestine to help combat the bad. Just like you and I.

Bioactive or no substrate is a personal choice. As long as you set up the bioactive enclosure correctly and give it time to bed in and have the correct drainage then it won't cause your cham any problems.

It's not a septic tank, its an eco system. Like the one you encounter everyday outside, just in a smaller more compact version that you control what goes in there. It's also a food chain.

Even if you put paper towels down or bare bottom, unless you are there immediately as soon as your cham is pooping then your cham could go down and walk through it, feeders go in it etc and then your cham eats the feeders. Chams like most other living beings have good flora in their intestine to help combat the bad. Just like you and I.

Bioactive or no substrate is a personal choice. As long as you set up the bioactive enclosure correctly and give it time to bed in and have the correct drainage then it won't cause your cham any problems.
I would like someone to explain how a bio active system benefits chameleons in captivity? It’s solely for the benefit of those owners who want to clean up less often because having waste lay around can only pose a hazard. The likelihood of a chameleon stepping on or ingesting fecal matter in the wild is slim to none, considering the expansive areas in which they live. We typically provide them with a 24” x 24” (or about) floor and to leave their droppings on that small of a space... in close proximity to where they live, eat, and sleep...to me at least...seems contrary to the principles of good husbandry.

Last edited:
Personally I think the bio active enclosures are gross. I get it, they work like a septic system and beneficial bacteria (along with actual bugs) eventually break down fecal matter so you don’t have to clean up daily. But how hard is it to get in a cage and clean up a poop? And who wants to have their chameleon living four feet above an OPEN SEPTIC SYSTEM? Why don’t you try that for yourself a few days and see how unpleasant and unnatural it is. Seriously! Some people lay paper towels on the bottom and you just change out the paper towels, give the floor a spot wipe with a reptile safe cleaning agent and boom you’re done. I set up my first (newbie) enclosure with ground up coconut husk substrate for a natural look and believed that was OK. I thought..this will help retain humidity and why can’t a healthy chameleon pass some inadvertently ingested finely ground soil just as they would in the wild? Additionally I loved the thought of having a chameleon litter box where I could scoop away the poop with the surrounding coconut husk and call it a day. But this isn’t the wild and yes that dirt may pass through their system but it may have also been in contact with some fecal matter which could make your cham sick. You can never watch them at all times so you don’t know what they do when you’re gone. Bare bottom with items raised a few inches from the surface is the winner. Spot clean the area where the poop was with a reptile safe disinfectant. If it’s a female make sure she has a sufficient lay bin so she doesn’t become egg bound. Trust the advice on this site but sometimes you will get conflicting ideas about what works best. Just use your best practical judgment and research a variety of reputable sources if necessary. Seek advice from your local exotic pet veterinarian too. Everyone has the best intentions for your pet.

Wow you have no clue what you're saying and probably should not post regarding the subject before doing more research. And BTW, bio enclosures are simply the most beautiful. Bio enclosures a septic system? How do you take the time to post all of that while being so far off?

People, please be aware of the experience/knowledge of the people you take advice from on these forums.

Last edited:
I would like someone to explain how a bio active system benefits chameleons in captivity? It’s solely for the benefit of those owners who want to clean up less often because having waste lay around can only pose a hazard. The likelihood of a chameleon stepping on or ingesting fecal matter in the wild is slim to none, considering the expansive areas in which they live. We typically provide them with a 24” x 24” (or about) floor and to leave their droppings on that small of a space... in close proximity to where they live, eat, and sleep...to me at least...seems contrary to the principles of good husbandry.

And yes we should all beware of what information we receive. I would like to know who among those making the argument for a bio active system is a veterinarian or microbiologist or what veterinarian or microbiologist said it was a safe and a good alternative to a bare bottom.

I would like someone to explain how a bio active system benefits chameleons in captivity? It’s solely for the benefit of those owners who want to clean up less often and having waste lay around can only pose a hazard. The likelihood of a chameleon stepping on or ingesting fecal matter in the wild is slim to none, considering the expansive areas in which they live. We provide them with a 24” x 24” floor and to leave their droppings on that small of a space...to me at least...seems contrary to the principles of good husbandry.

Once again, proving how little you know what you're talking about. I'm all for helping people with bio, but making statements like these means you've done next to no actual reading on what bioactive is, yet you're ranting about it. Many/most of the best keepers in the world use bio. Breeders often don't in order to track fecals easier and many newbies don't because they think it's complicated(it's not). I've had a dozen or more bio enclosures for my female and male panthers and my yellow lip parsonii. I've never had a single issue. I haven't seen anyone on these forums have an issue from bio keeping. I also keep my feeders bioactive, which keeps them cleaner. It is the safest way to prevent build up of bad bacteria or fungi. Barebottom is fine too if you prefer, but my chams have all seemed more at ease in bio enclosure. Humidity is also easier to control, prevents bad bacteria/fungi build up from aerobic beneficial bacteria outcompeting, poop is gone within hours from cleaners, and it just looks better...

Read the attached post from Erklerose about veiled chameleons and how bioactive systems are not good for them, since they have a propensity toward eating substrate.... The original question was about whether a bio active system is recommended for a veiled chameleon. So no, I also would not recommend a bio active system for her veieled chameleon. I guess you need to do some more reading.

Attachments

• 9B16C3EF-BC73-44B1-BB08-DAD1F7487AB2.jpeg
    9B16C3EF-BC73-44B1-BB08-DAD1F7487AB2.jpeg
    334.2 KB · Views: 51
I don't have the sources, maybe @jamest0o0 can help me there, but most of the time Veileds eat the soil because of a mineral imbalance.

Yes veiled are like toddlers and put everything in their mouth but with having a bioactive enclosure the CUC and good bacteria override the bad in there therefore less issues. The main issue with the veiled eating their bioactive substrate is if you haven't mixed correctly or put the wrong quantities in of moss and bark.

Kids eat sand and dirt from outside when they are young (or used to at least) and you can't test what is in that before they put it in them. They are all fine.

In the wild its not just their own faeces think of the areas they inhabit. Insects, other reptiles, primates, birds, I'd even go as far as to say human sewage. They will be ingesting bacteria and faeces all the time in the wild. Nothing lives in a completely sterile environment.

Back
Top Bottom