Is he underweight? Incomplete shed, hunger strike...

Hughesy

Good morning all, in advance, apologies for not using the 'how to ask for help template', I'm using a mobile/cell phone so its quite difficult writing it all up!

In a nutshell, Digit is a one year old panther kept in a 4x4x2 wood, glass and mesh enclosure with a t5 5% d3 tube and basking light over the top, misted twice a day and gets to use the bathroom shower once a week! Previously I'd feed him once a day and dust 3 times a week with Repashy and every week or so with sticky tongue miner-all. Feeders are given left over fresh fruit and veg, typically oranges, apples, spinach carrots etc. As he approaches adulthood, now eats less frequently so hes fed every other day.

The issue:
Digit's hardly eaten over the last couple of weeks (a couple of locusts and four waxworms). During this time he has shed but im not convinced that this has been completed; his head still seems dark. He never eats when when approaching his shed but his appetite has all but disappeared. He's drinking as normal and passing urate but hardly any faeces but this is to be expected with no food intake.

My questions are as follows, any help will be hugely appreciated.:

-Do you think that he looks underweight?
-Do panthers ever undergo sheds covering only part of their body?
-Do you have any advice on beating a hunger strike?

20131023_075530_zpsf200b8d9.jpg

20131023_075340_zps52e95093.jpg

In no expert and still new to it all but I was told on here that as an adult they will part shed ad takes slightly longer. My boy is already slowing up on his sheds, last one took just under 2 days for a complete shed. I was also told it's not unusual for them to slow up on their food at this time of year but maybe not as much as you are saying.

My lad has slowed up but this maybe due to the stress he is going through at the moment which I can seem to sort out. He may only eat a dozen at most feeders. Week which to me seems nothing compared to what I read! Is his behaviour reflected but the amount of food intake?

What does his urate look like? Has he decreased in drinking as well? What are his energy levels like, is he lethargic?

I agree with everything Shaunny stated, but I think if a chameleon goes past a week without eating there is something larger at play. If you could fill out the how to ask for help form it would help greatly.

But you chameleon has good color, his eyes look good, but he could have more fat on his head and do you know how much he weighs? My advice to end a hunger strike is to order up some silks and horns they always bring my cham back to top notch if he becomes dehydrated. Also you can order some reptaid I've used it to spark up my boys appetite as well.

Hi both, thank you for the informative replies.

I've just ordered some silkworms (im in the uk so where we cant get hornworms), cockroaches, soldier fly larvae, dubias and morios to add to the locusts and waxworms ive got at home! Hopefully that'll rule out any problems with food choice.

He hasnt decreased his drinking and is as active as normal, im not sure if his grip has weakened but that may just be me looking for issues. His urates are fine, white with a slight touch of yellow.

Tonight I'll give him a good old soak and have a look in his mouth and update this thread with the how to ask for help template.

It doesn't look like we can get reptaid here in the UK; any oyher ideas? Thanks again for your advice.

Theres nothing wrong with him.

He could do with a bit more food, as his fat pads should be a bit fuller, and he could probably use some more water, if his urates have any yellow in them.

But he looks just fine.

A healthy adult cham can go over aweek with no food and be fine. they might lose a bit of weight, but that happens,

My suggestion for hunger strikes, new bugs to eat, and don't offer ANY food for a couple days, then try again, if he doesn't eat, do it again.

Morning!

Thanks for all the input. I've upped the auto mister to 4 x 2 minute intervals and taken all the food out. Will leave him till Friday and will have a range of insects to feed then.

I'll let you know how it goes!

All the best,
David

Morning all, an update here. I took Digit to a well known reptile vet last Wednesday and the he prescribed baytril for a slight infection inside his mouth along with an iodine solution for cleaning.

This is not an URI but the result of getting a cut somehow and it becoming infected. This surprised me as his enclosure is always kept clean but he does spend a fair amount of time roaming; something i've put a stop to for the time being!

Since I've administered the baytril, Digit has been very very dark and does not look good at all. I'm in the process of organising a follow up appointment but in the interim, I'm hoping for your input on whether baytril can cause them to look distinctly unhappy?

I'm keeping him hydrated with 4 automated mistings a day, dripper on until it runs out and a shower ever other day in the bathroom! I've got a drainage at the bottom of the enclosure so it does dry out in between. He continues to eat the occasional silkworm and waxworm (a couple a day).

Keen to hear your thoughts and thank you for the continued advice.

They can get cut from feeders inside their mouths. That would explain why he did not want to eat. Always good to check inside their mouths on a regular basis to see if something might be brewing. Glad you got to the bottom of this and he will hopefully being eating again soon!

Back
Top Bottom