Is 4 weeks too young?

lisa h

I have the opportunity to get a cbb Flapneck cham in the next couple of weeks. They are 4 weeks now. Isn't that really young? What age would be best. If 4 weeks is ok, do I start him in a small enclosure or is my big one ok if I cup feed? Thanks.

id wait till they are minimum of 8 weeks, keep them in small enclosures so they can find food easily, i cup feed all of my chams, i also feed by hand and let a few feeders roam about

rob

That's great that you can get a CBB Flapneck! Are you going to have it shipped to you or go pick it up? I just think that age is so young for a Flapneck to be shipped because of their sensitivity, but since you have so much experience with chameleons already and you know how to raise them, having a 4 week old be in your care is no different than having that chameleon stay with the breeder. The only thing I worry about is the mortality rate of Flapnecks. Does anyone know if it is high for hatchlings? If it is high when they are young, if I were you, I would wait another couple months if possible, then the healthiest ones will still be alive and you can still get one from the clutch. My Senegal hatchlings are about 6 weeks now, but I know that they could all very well die within the next month, so I would never let them go because of that.
Ask the person how many have died from the clutch already, and if none or one or two have, i'd say you are ok (if you are picking them up that is) and if they have a 30 day replacement if it dies, that's even better :)!

An experienced keeper can handle a 4week cham. But I wouldnt ship a 4 wk cham ever. If you dont have alot of exp i'd let the breeder keep him another 2 months. If they are unwilling to do that for you I'd look for another breeder. aas they should be thinking of the animals well being not the quick buck. Even if you do have the exp think about how your going to have to deal with small feeders for the next 2-3 months and it can be a major pita to get pins and ff's. I personally would wait til 10-12 weeks at that age he should take 1/8" crix which are much easier to find in stores. Jmpo

Im no expert in flapnecks but I would say that 4wks is to young to get any cham at. I would wait until at least 8wks to get him if your going to get one.

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to wait. The cham was to be shipped, and when I think what my sternfeldi were like at 4 weeks -- geez -- so tiny! As for small feeders, that's all I know LOL. All I have left are pygmies and mantellas (frogs), so ff and tiny crix are the norm around here. Thanks for the help everyone!

Back
Top Bottom