Baby Veiled Not Eating

Raymond1412

Established Member
Hello all! I have a baby chameleon, and I got her about 3-4 weeks ago. She started off great, eating all of the big, chonky gut load crickets, soldier fly larvae, etc. But about 1 and a half weeks ago, she started her shed. She finished it the next day, and she looked healthy! She wouldn't eat after her shed, and that's normal because shedding takes up a lot of a chameleon's energy and can be really stressful on them and their bodies. But, a few days later, she still wasn't eating and was showing signs of an upper respiratory infection. We took her in to see an exotic vet, they had to give her some extra fluids, and we now have to give her IM shots in her tiny little baby arms every day for 10 days :( It is now day 4 with the shots and she is still not eating, and barely even drinking, even though we have a dripper system and mister system. What should I do?

Hi and welcome. I’m sorry to hear that your little one isn’t doing well. The best thing would be to do a full husbandry review to see if there’s possibly anything that is off and could cause a problem. Let’s start with some pics first though. I’d like to see your little one and her entire enclosure, including the lights. Pics of the supplements that you’re using and how often each is given too please.

Thank you! Sorry for the late response, I had to eat dinner lol. For the enclosure, I am using all chameleon-safe plants and lots of vines. (the vines are synthetic) For the lights, I am using a ceramic lightless heat lamp, a 6% UV light, and a grow light. Also at the top, I made a makeshift dripper. The supplements I'm using are the ZooMed calcium without D3 every feeding, and the ZooMed Reptivite Vitamins with D3 twice a month. The picture of her was taken today after we gave her IM shot. Every cham deserves a little field trip! SORRY about the weird picture layout. It bugs me, get it?
unnamed (14).jpg
unnamed (15).jpg
unnamed (16).jpg
unnamed (17).jpg

Ok…so I’m not so sure that you really need a full review since it looks like you got so much already correct. She is a cutie! I do have to ask…are you sure the feeders are small enough for her? I like to give feeders a bit smaller than my chams can handle and just give more of them. Is she drinking that you can tell? You may need to give her some liquid nutrition like ReptaBoost or Carnivore Care. If she isn’t eating in the next day or so, you’ll need to call your vet and ask about that. I wish I had a better answer for you. The little ones are extra fragile as they haven’t any resources to fall back on.

Ok…so I’m not so sure that you really need a full review since it looks like you got so much already correct. She is a cutie! I do have to ask…are you sure the feeders are small enough for her? I like to give feeders a bit smaller than my chams can handle and just give more of them. Is she drinking that you can tell? You may need to give her some liquid nutrition like ReptaBoost or Carnivore Care. If she isn’t eating in the next day or so, you’ll need to call your vet and ask about that. I wish I had a better answer for you. The little ones are extra fragile as they haven’t any resources to fall back on.
Thank you so much for your help! I will definitely look into getting her some liquid nutrition. I give her the small size of all the bugs I feed her, and I have seen her eat them before. I just haven't seen her eat in 1 and a half weeks. I will reach out to my vet and ask them about it!!

Sorry to be replying again this late.. I know it's past midnight over there. I was just wondering, what liquid nutrition do you recommend??

Sorry to be replying again this late.. I know it's past midnight over there. I was just wondering, what liquid nutrition do you recommend??
I’m a night owl. 🦉 Do make sure to ask your vet about this before doing and they will advise what is best to use. Until then, try different or smaller feeders. If you can get a couple of tiny hornworms, see if she’ll take those. When and if your vet does advise liquid nutrition, keep in mind the airway is in the front of the mouth, so you have to aim for the back of the throat.

I’m a night owl. 🦉 Do make sure to ask your vet about this before doing and they will advise what is best to use. Until then, try different or smaller feeders. If you can get a couple of tiny hornworms, see if she’ll take those. When and if your vet does advise liquid nutrition, keep in mind the airway is in the front of the mouth, so you have to aim for the back of the throat.
Yes! Thank you so much! I don't think my vet will advise me to use liquid nutrition since she is still a baby and she is very fragile.

Back
Top Bottom