international moving

jandie

it's not a definite or anything at this point...won't know till closer to may officially, but just wondering, from any of you that may have experience - what all is involved in moving your animals (chams and non-chams) internationally? i realize there is typically a quarantine period and it may be lengthy depending on where you go....but as far as what's "allowable" and shots or vet requirements, etc.

any recs/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! i'd rather start finding out early and have time to get prepared vs. waiting till we know for sure, in case it's pretty immediate after that.. :D

You'll need to check with the country you may be moving to first. They all have different requirements for quarantine periods, vaccinations, etc. but all cats, dogs, ferrets and applicable livestock must be currently vaccinated for rabies to move pretty much anywhere (even across most state lines in the US). Sometimes it needs to be done more than 30 days before moving to be accepted so that would be something to look into now for sure. Even if you have to get vaccinations more than 30 days in advance, you'll also need to get a veterinary health certificate less than 30 days in advance (but more than 10). Those are rules that I'm familiar with for some countries, but it may vary or differ completely depending on the country you're considering. If you can't find the regulations yourself you can ask your vet to find out the specifics, if they don't know them already. I don't know about exotics like reptiles though...I'm sure some countries have regulations about importing certain species, again it depends on the country.

Just out of curiosity, where might you be going?

I'm actually curious about this as well. We may have to move to Germany and I was worried about our chameleon and our snakes. I don't want to have to get rid of them but I'm not sure if we can take them. My husband is suppose to find out when he goes to work tomorrow, but we're not sure if anyone will know about taking the more exotic pets with you since I'm sure most people just have dogs and other more "normal" pets.

I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on this thread to see what people say.

the good news, on the pups at least...lol..is that they recently got ALL of their shots updated...it was licensing time again... our kitties..might need to check on, though to be honest, i know a couple good homes willing to take them even if we weren't moving.. ;) lol

i'm not even sure how likely it will be to be honest...there are 6 billets open....but he's only a LT. the good thing is...only 1 dependent to move, which might actually help us... :) but our top 6 on slate choices are for naples.

ironically, the slate just came out a day or two ago and this whole weekend has been dedicated to staining the custom stands a friend of ours build for our cham cages. lol. i'm also not sure when the billet "start dates" are....i only know that the CO will get the final slate around april 28th. so after it comes back, not sure how much time we'll have to prepare for whatever he gets.... hopefully not before june/july (we have eggs incubating!!!) but there's no guarantee...

from the choices available, we are quite likely to be moving one way or another...but state to state i'm not so much worried about...we've done that before. lol. just wanting to start learning the international part of it in case. :)

I'm actually curious about this as well. We may have to move to Germany and I was worried about our chameleon and our snakes. I don't want to have to get rid of them but I'm not sure if we can take them. My husband is suppose to find out when he goes to work tomorrow, but we're not sure if anyone will know about taking the more exotic pets with you since I'm sure most people just have dogs and other more "normal" pets.

I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on this thread to see what people say.
we had a possibility of germany, too...but looked like another "sea" tour and we're just coming off the second deployment in 2 years, so.... we decided not to put that one high on the options list. lol.

Jandie, hi its Anne
LLL ships internationally, so im sure they would have all the info you would need to know.
vac's, quarintine, etc.
See what they have to say :)

Jandie, hi its Anne
LLL ships internationally, so im sure they would have all the info you would need to know.
vac's, quarintine, etc.
See what they have to say :)
awesome, thanks!!!

i need to go by there tomorrow if i can anyway, so that would work out perfectly!

To move overseas it will cost you $1000's in permits along with a qurantine period that will not be favorable for your animals. I think it would be best to rehome your reptiles rather than put them through it. Please let us know when you find the exact cost and quarantine periods-it will be good info.

we had a possibility of germany, too...but looked like another "sea" tour and we're just coming off the second deployment in 2 years, so.... we decided not to put that one high on the options list. lol.

I don't blame you. My husband has been stationed at the same base for 8 years now - crazy, right? He's worried about getting orders somewhere soon and would rather volunteer for Germany than get stuck being sent somewhere that neither one of us would enjoy. But he'll only put his name on the list if they okay bringing the reptiles.

Back
Top Bottom