Information please on reptisun 5.0

BocaJan

Sorry for that big title, but I just bought 2 new Reptisun 5.0 bulbs, same sku as the old ones, printing on the box is the same except for a little thing on the end which says 36W. The old ones were 40W. Anyone else just bought bulbs? Will this pose a problem or is it just the energy that takes to run the bulb. I do want my chams to get the right UVB.

This is a new stock by the store, so if you haven't bought bulbs recently you may not have experienced it yet.

The wattage on the bulb is just what it takes to run it. If your ballast is still a 40 watt then that's what is going to be put to your bulb. I've overdriven floros a few times for my planted tanks. This is where you install a bigger ballast than what is recommended for your bulb. Last one was a ballast for a 48 inch put to an 18 inch bulb. I never bothered to check the wattage. But it works just fine. The only thing with doing this is it reduces the life of the bulb. Your 36 watt on a 40 watt ballast isn't enough to really worry about this.

Back
Top Bottom