Indoor K. Multi. mating

Mike Fisher

Established Member
I finally had success with an indoor mating with this species. These are long term captive WC, the male has been quite restless lately. I tried several times putting him in the female's enclosure but got no interest from either of them.

This time I put her in his enclosure. That did the trick. :D

Hoping to get more than one clutch from her this year. Last year they mated so close to the winter cool down, I only got one clutch. 100 percent of those eggs are still going strong to hatch later this year. Probably about the same time my K. mats and T. perreti will be hatching so I'll be overrun with babies.

Awesome news! Congrats! :D Can't wait for updates on all of these little babies! :)

Thanks! I'm pretty happy about it since there have been more then a few experienced keepers that claimed that they would not breed indoors under artificial lighting. Another myth debunked. And they bred under standard lighting available at any home improvement store (no UV bulbs).

Thanks everybody. Just a few more months of waiting on last years eggs. I've kept the eggs really cool so it could drag out an extra month or two though. Might not have hatching till late fall/early winter.

Independence Day Eggs!

I dug up 17 eggs this morning from the indoor mating on 5/23/14. All look viable.

She seemed a bit restless yesterday morning, I found her on the bottom of the enclosure in the afternoon, so put her in the laying bucket. She started digging right away and two hours later I peeked in on her. She was perched on the plant, not a bit of sand on her, and looking same as ever. She didn't look deflated at all. :confused:

I was confident she had layed but knowing how combative a female that has just layed can be if you remove her too soon, I left her be and turned off the light in the bucket for the night.

This morning I put her on the scale, and sure enough she was lighter. I set the eggs up in a box and compared their sizing to the 16 she layed a year ago. It is a really big difference. I forgot how small they start out.

I really like this species. They are really easy to work with, similar to T. quadricornis.

Attachments

• eggy.jpg
    eggy.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 301
Back
Top Bottom