Incandescent Light Bulbs gone in 2013?

TrueCut

I just heard on NBC Nightly news last night that as of 2012 incandescent light bulbs will no longer be manufactured and as of 2013 will no longer be sold in stores. They will be replaced by those new energy saving light bulbs the spiral ones. Can you use those in place of the incandescent bulbs for a heat source?

I am also wondering what we will do after they have taken all of bulbs, as the others do not give off heat. We must have people on here with plans??

no energy saving bulbs dont really give off much heat. Are halogen bulbs also being stopped?

I put a household coil cfl in my hood for my panther the other day because I ran out of the regular bulbs and his burnt out. IMMEDIATELY started squinting and keeping his eyes closed! Freaked me out but once I got rid of it he was fine. Doesn't bode well for us...

I have to think specialty heat bulbs for plants and animals will still be produced. It's just going to cost us more.

let the stockpiling and hoarding of incandescent lightbulbs begin. lol. I have a f veiled and can keep perfect temps (82 to 83 in basking spot) using two 27 watt (6500k which is good for plant growth) fluorescent bulbs in a double hood.

let the stockpiling and hoarding of incandescent lightbulbs begin. lol. I have a f veiled and can keep perfect temps (82 to 83 in basking spot) using two 27 watt (6500k which is good for plant growth) fluorescent bulbs in a double hood.

Yes I am pretty sure this is where I am headed.

I think you could go with spot light type bulbs. I know Hd And Lowes sell some 50 watt spots that would prob work. May have to raise the fixture a bit over a normal household bulb to keep temps the same. Of course they cost a bit more than normal bulbs also. :rolleyes: I cant believe they are doing away with reg household bulbs.

I wonder if they are still going to
sell reptile brand incandescent bulbs?

I am sticking to halogen though

The plan is to phase out all current old tech tungsten incandescents, but the demise of the incadescent bulb is a ways off.

In BC Canada (and I think California) already 100 watt and 75 watt incandescents are no longer allowed to be produced. Old tech 40and 60 watt bulbs are still available. There is a plan to improve the incandescent technology, such that the amount of lumens currently given off at 100watts will reduce to needing only about 75watts for the same light. I expect this will reduce the amount of heat given off.

The desire here is to drive people towards CFLs and LED for household lighting. But incandesent wont dissappear quite yet. Halogen isnt going anywhere anytime soon either. And "specialty reptile bulbs" will still be available (at a higher price of course).

I've stock piled a few 75watt bulbs, but mostly I only use 40 and 60 watt bulbs, which are not yet banned. I'll be sure to stock up prior to any production stoppage of those!

Do they not realize that people need some of the bulbs for the heat or for other reasons than just lighting? *sigh*

Do they not realize that people need some of the bulbs for the heat or for other reasons than just lighting? *sigh*

Of course most people use them for lighting, not heating. A purpose for which they are inefficient and thus wasteful / harmful to the environment
We do have other heat options.

Yes, they are wasteful/harmful when used just for lighting. Yes, we do have other options.. but are they cheap?

Well I did not mean to create such a stir I havent been on these boards in over a month (life is busy u know) and I saw that on the news last night come on here to ask a lil question and i come back 1hr later and see its 2 pages long.
^.^ Sorry was just curious as to what to do but I guess I will have to go to Sams and buy a 100pack of bulbs or something. maybe even get some storage units so when they do take them off the market I can compete with Zoo meds.

Yes, they are wasteful/harmful when used just for lighting. Yes, we do have other options.. but are they cheap?

I dont think governments care all that much about the cost of keeping exotic animals. Not very vote catching to cater to our unusal hobby. :)

Back
Top Bottom