Incandescent Light Bulbs gone in 2013?

I dont think governments care all that much about the cost of keeping exotic animals. Not very vote catching to cater to our unusal hobby. :)
Yeah, and that is what I am trying to get at. Start stockpiling, people. If anything get them shipped in from CHINA! :rolleyes:
And that is the biggest truth of all we are a minority, so who cares?
LOL for some reason when I read this I thought of, "I hate everyone equally unless you pay me to think otherwise." Seems like that's what some politics are trying to get at.

I've worried about this for a while as I knew it was coming.

There are some real stupid things surrounding the change, but I guess that's kind of par for the course these days.

One thing that bugs me- these cfl bulbs have mercury- enough that if you look into it, you are supposed to clean up broken bulbs very carefully (as in treat it like a bio-hazard in your home). They are also supposed to be disposed of only at authorized centers so the mercury can be handled properly- most are probably being dumped in the landfills.

That said, I use them for basking lights and providing extra light for my chameleon enclosures. They do put off a very mild heat that in my situation is enough for species like jacksons and cooler mountain chameleons, and I like the penetration the lights give for supplemental ambient light in my large enclosures.

I'm guessing we may have to go with solutions like UV-heat type bulbs for many of our lizards here when the change comes over. I'm actually already drawing up plans for trying out below ground cold-frame caging for some of my lizards similar to what bert langerwerf used, but modified some...

And that is the biggest truth of all we are a minority, so who cares?

Sadly, this is true. It isn't supposed to be- that was the whole point of the USA being a republic where an individual has freedom rather than a true democracy where two wolves and a sheep vote on what they will eat for dinner...

Last edited:
They are also supposed to be disposed of only at authorized centers so the mercury can be handled properly- most are probably being dumped in the landfills.

I hope most people do understand its necessary to properly dispose of CFLs, and for that matter Florescent tubes. You'd have to be fairly ignorant not to understand they (like most things) need to be properly recycled. But then again, some people dump batteries, dead cell phones, plastic, paint and more in the garbage, so maybe its just my circle of aquaintance that reads packaging and thinks about the environment.:(

Time to bump this related thread:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/disposing-old-uv-bulbs-19250/

I have the answer… Get a BIG CFL! As an electrician I just had to buy this when I saw it at Home Depot. This here is a largest CFL I have come across, im sure it will put off some heat. Im going to need MUCH MUCH larger dome lights. haha.

167647_486618686715_501451715_6453523_6021692_n.jpg

The thinner the tube the more light and less heat the tube puts out.Thin tubes like t5 will last upwards of 18 months before losing their color because of less heat as compared to the 6 months a t8 will last.Those screw in compacts are just flourescents bent up into a ball with an internal ballast.So you don't want to replace a 100watt incandescent with a 100 watt compact.It will be super bright,about twice.My 4 bulb 216 watt high output t5 lights over my reef tank are putting out about as much light as a 400 watt metal halide bulb.There is a catch though.The ballasts get hot hot hot.I would need fans if my ballast was inside the fixture.I moved it on top outside the fixture so it can get air.The Led lights I had were cool but the ballast was in a seperate box and it got so hot I was afraid of fire so I sold them.The screw in ones ballast gets hot as well but the tube part does'nt get quite as hot.There is no need to stock pile or worry.There is so many options and by the time incandescents are gone there will be a newer better choice.worst case you may have to add a heat lamp.

Well we could just attempt to do what Siegfried Rotthaeuser is doing in Europe, where incandescents are being phased out. Hes just repacking them as "heat balls" or small heating devices. Apparently our bulbs we use now covert 95% of their power to heat and only 5% to light. So our "light" bulbs are actually better "heat balls"! Where there is capatilism there is a way!

Heres a Link:

http://http://thepeoplescube.com/peoples-blog/great-new-product-from-europe-heat-balls-t6648.html

A while back from Yahoo News

Incandescent light bulb

Last production date: Sept. 2010

The incandescent light bulb (invented by Thomas Edison) has been phased out.

Our last major factory that made incandescent light bulbs closed in September 2010. In 2007, Congress passed a measure that will ban incandescents by 2014, prompting GE to close its domestic factory.

Note: A reader pointed out that the Osram/Sylvania Plant in St. Mary's, Penn. is still producing light bulbs to fill old and international contracts. However, the plant has announced plans to wind down incandescent production.

Well we could just attempt to do what Siegfried Rotthaeuser is doing in Europe, where incandescents are being phased out. Hes just repacking them as "heat balls" or small heating devices. Apparently our bulbs we use now covert 95% of their power to heat and only 5% to light. So our "light" bulbs are actually better "heat balls"! Where there is capatilism there is a way!

Heres a Link:

http://http://thepeoplescube.com/peoples-blog/great-new-product-from-europe-heat-balls-t6648.html
I CALL DIBS. :D I'll buy one or two a day and have a huge stockpile and resell them! SUCCESS!

Pharox LED Bulb Here you go. The wave of the future. It lasts 25 years and a 6watt LED is comparable to a 60 watt incandescent. The perfect bulb for Chams.

I know that most LED's put off a good amount of heat. Not sure about these. They sell for about $35.00

Pharox LED Bulb Here you go. The wave of the future. It lasts 25 years and a 6watt LED is comparable to a 60 watt incandescent. The perfect bulb for Chams.

I know that most LED's put off a good amount of heat. Not sure about these. They sell for about $35.00

Pharox LED bulbs come in a number of shapes, sizes and soft white light that stays cool to the touch.

Harry

just gonna have to stock pile my 60/ 40 watt house bulbs... bulb prices have sky rocketed massively in price as well.. used to be a buck or 2 for a 4 pack, now its like 4 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom