Important Health Issue, Please Help!!!

Hello once again everyone. I'm sorry for posting such graphic pictures, but I figured they would help you guys get a better idea of what my little guy is going through. Please, if anyone has experienced anything similar or has any ideas that may be helpful, I would appreciate it if you would share. I've taken Yoshi to the vet three times and they could not figure out what is wrong with him. I'm fairly certain that his spine may be the root of his problems since he has "kinks" all the way to the end of his tail. On the most severe spinal curvature at the end of his lower back, there are two bumps that stick out on his left side, and when I touch them (gently) he attempts to bite me, though his bite is very weak. :(

So sorry to see these pics of Yoshi! He is miserable regardless of the cause, and even if it was MBD (which I also doubt) you are not going to be able to repair much of the current damage. He may continue to suffer even if you can keep him alive. I highly doubt your husbandry caused this, aged UV light or not so please don't beat yourself up about that.

I also think we forget that sometimes deformities happen despite our care and good intentions. Was it genetic, unintentionally carried by a wc stock founder and magnified by inbreeding? Without major analysis hard to say. Was it an individual congenital defect that expresses itself over time? Possibly. If he shows signs that he wants to keep going (such as eating, drinking, taking some pleasure in basking and reacting to the world around him) I think I'd keep working on him. If he has shut down and stopped trying I think I'd let him go.

So sorry to see these pics of Yoshi! He is miserable regardless of the cause, and even if it was MBD (which I also doubt) you are not going to be able to repair much of the current damage. He may continue to suffer even if you can keep him alive. I highly doubt your husbandry caused this, aged UV light or not so please don't beat yourself up about that.

I also think we forget that sometimes deformities happen despite our care and good intentions. Was it genetic, unintentionally carried by a wc stock founder and magnified by inbreeding? Without major analysis hard to say. Was it an individual congenital defect that expresses itself over time? Possibly. If he shows signs that he wants to keep going (such as eating, drinking, taking some pleasure in basking and reacting to the world around him) I think I'd keep working on him. If he has shut down and stopped trying I think I'd let him go.
Well said Carlton!
Kevin our thoughts are with you but I don't believe this was your fault.
Don't let him suffer. please give us an update. I don't reach out with my story often, but I wanted you to know that sometimes all the best care can't cure genetic defects

Rest In Peace little buddy

Hello everyone, I'm sad to say that I had to put my little Yoshi down yesterday. He showed no signs of wanting to continue on, and after consulting with a vet, I decided that it was time to end his suffering. My little guy brought me tons of joy in the year that I had him, and I was lucky enough to see him grow up. I didn't think I could get so attached to an animal that shows little to no affection (unlike a dog, for example), but seeing the little guy grow up and being able to feed him and have him willingly walk onto my hand on an almost daily basis really brought me close to him, and it hurts to have let him go. I want to thank everyone here on the forums who gave me their input and made suggestions as to which course of action to take. Ultimately, I feel that I did Yoshi one last favor by ending his pain. He was my first chameleon, which makes this even more difficult to bear, but he wont be my last. Please, although his cause of illness was undetermined, if anyone here reads this post and sees any way my husbandry can be improved, I'd appreciate your input. If interested in seeing some pics, I just posted an album on my profile with pictures of my little guy from the first day that I brought him home. Here's the link...

https://www.chameleonforums.com/members/kevinn1-albums-yoshi.html

Hello everyone, I'm sad to say that I had to put my little Yoshi down yesterday. He showed no signs of wanting to continue on, and after consulting with a vet, I decided that it was time to end his suffering. My little guy brought me tons of joy in the year that I had him, and I was lucky enough to see him grow up. I didn't think I could get so attached to an animal that shows little to no affection (unlike a dog, for example), but seeing the little guy grow up and being able to feed him and have him willingly walk onto my hand on an almost daily basis really brought me close to him, and it hurts to have let him go. I want to thank everyone here on the forums who gave me their input and made suggestions as to which course of action to take. Ultimately, I feel that I did Yoshi one last favor by ending his pain. He was my first chameleon, which makes this even more difficult to bear, but he wont be my last. Please, although his cause of illness was undetermined, if anyone here reads this post and sees any way my husbandry can be improved, I'd appreciate your input. If interested in seeing some pics, I just posted an album on my profile with pictures of my little guy from the first day that I brought him home. Here's the link...

Kevin my heart goes out to you. You did the right thing, and he brought you a lot of joy when you had him. I will look at your link and try to help, but you sound pretty conscientious.

Kevin my heart goes out to you. You did the right thing, and he brought you a lot of joy when you had him. I will look at your link and try to help, but you sound pretty conscientious.
The photo titled" What a daredevil. It was a high drop" I can already see the spine curve at the base of the tail that my Blaze also developed . How old was he in that photo?
I believe my guy has neurological problems too from the defect. He has trouble aiming his tongue even though it shoots just fine and he sees fine, he just can't hit the mark.
As far as your husbandry I saw nothing wrong just a loving cham keeper. Take care Kevin

Hello everyone, I'm sad to say that I had to put my little Yoshi down yesterday.

Ultimately, I feel that I did Yoshi one last favor by ending his pain.

my condolences, kevin. i cannot agree more about your last sentence...it is one of the reasons i chose veterinary medicine over human. it is so much better imo to be able to choose to end suffering with a painless, quiet, dignified death. i think you made the right decision.

i have little doubt that we will see you again with a new lil' buddy! should that day come, please let us know!

o-

My husband and I cried after we found your initial post and followed your and Yoshi's progress. Our son saved up for a veiled chameleon. He is our frst chameleon, we've had for two days now ... We live on a farm and are resigned to losing some animals here and there but your story and pictures were both touching and heartbreaking for us.

We are so sorry and know that you did everything you could to save Yoshi ... In the end you made the hard, and correct decision.

So sorry to hear about Yoshi, but you did the right thing for him. Even though I'm inexperienced, but i feel also that it isn't your husbandry. You did all the right things for him in trying to figure out what was going. It's not easy to lose any animal, but letting them go is something that takes a strong heart to do. Don't beat yourself up.

Back
Top Bottom