Im new and a first time owner.

my two cents

You can't have too much greenery or fake vine in there - make sure the fake vine is appropriately sized for her feet - it's really effective to wrap a large vine with a small one.

Jackson's Chameleons are very tolerable of cooler temperatures. Depending on what part of California you are in, she may more difficult to keep cool than keep warm. But they like it damp. You should get a a quality spray bottle from a garden supply store (a really good reptile place might have one, too), one with a pump to build pressure. Mist the whole area, all the leaves at least once a day. Use hot chlorinated water - it won't be hot when it hits her, as long as you turn the nozzle to fine. If she's drinking water from the drip, that's great. When she's older, she will grow to like the misting and will sit in it and drink. The mist will coat the leaves and provide her with drinking opportunities other than the dripper, and she will also breathe in the moisture through her nasal passage. It will also help her moisten her eyes, although she will shut them and bulge them out while you do it. She won't like it at all if the water is cold.

She looks to be no older than four or five months to me - anyone else want to chime in? You may want to set up a feeding cup so that you can monitor her eating, and so that fewer crickets escape.

You can't have too much greenery or fake vine in there - make sure the fake vine is appropriately sized for her feet - it's really effective to wrap a large vine with a small one.

Jackson's Chameleons are very tolerable of cooler temperatures. Depending on what part of California you are in, she may more difficult to keep cool than keep warm. But they like it damp. You should get a a quality spray bottle from a garden supply store (a really good reptile place might have one, too), one with a pump to build pressure. Mist the whole area, all the leaves at least once a day. Use hot chlorinated water - it won't be hot when it hits her, as long as you turn the nozzle to fine. If she's drinking water from the drip, that's great. When she's older, she will grow to like the misting and will sit in it and drink. The mist will coat the leaves and provide her with drinking opportunities other than the dripper, and she will also breathe in the moisture through her nasal passage. It will also help her moisten her eyes, although she will shut them and bulge them out while you do it. She won't like it at all if the water is cold.

She looks to be no older than four or five months to me - anyone else want to chime in? You may want to set up a feeding cup so that you can monitor her eating, and so that fewer crickets escape.
thanks!
cool cool, i do have alittle mister bottle that also has a nozzle for watering plants, but i havent been using hot water, more of room temp, so next time ill warm it up,
ad i think ill be setting up a feeder cup today, but i kinda was also wanting to try and having a feeding box out side of her cage so wen id take her out, she would like coming out.

so she keeps going to the bottom of the cage, and sits there, now she is climbing down the screen and walking on the floor.. i think its weird sice they usually are high up..
is something wrong with her???

From looking at your cage, I don't see too many branches and perches high up in the cage.

She needs a basking spot under the heat lamp, which should be no closer than 6 inches away from the light, and should be about 85 - 90 degrees for Jacksons.

Again, humidity for Jacksons are the key.

If you say she's shying away from a heat lamp where the basking temp is only 76 degrees... that sounds a little odd to me.

I haven't seen anyone else advise this, so I will - since your chameleon is wild-caught go look for a herp vet (sounds like you're in a good area for this) and have her checked for parasites.

okay another concern today, my cham is relaxing right next to the basking light, but she is white with dark spots... is this normal?
the picture isnt clear enough but she is a grayish white. with those spots being black.
33zb784.jpg

You can give Chams chlorinated water? I thought that would make them sick?

you know, that was a really dumb thing for me to say. The water should be dechlorinated, but what I was really trying to convey was to use hot tap water. And I should have mentioned to spray it on himself, first. I just wouldn't want someone to try to use boiling water or water from the hot tap of a a water dispenser.

maybe she misses her boyfriend =(

maybe, maybe not.

I've heard of stories where a cham will go brown (im assuming from being unhappy) and after being left outside in the sun for most of their days, they turned green again. Again this is a story I heard and it was about Veiled's I think. It might not be a good Idea since Jackson's are mountain chameleons' and they are used to cooler tems.

Jackson's are awesome, It has been cold in the mornings in so cal and warm mid day. I usually take my family's chams out around 10 or 11 and leave them out till they find a spot to sleep (around 4 or 5)

but then again, I'm no cham expert.

Back
Top Bottom