illegality?

willow2415

Can anyone inform me of the laws to owning a chameleon in the state of Rhode Island? I just went to a pet store and they said they were illegal.:confused: But I found this online:

Summary of Law: No person may possess, without first obtaining a permit from the department, animals of the following orders, families, and genera: Primates, Carnivores, Amphibia, Reptilia, Canidae, and Insecta. All person obtaining a permit must demonstrate they have both adequate facilities, and adequate knowledge of animal health and husbandry to ensure both public safety and health.

But this pretty much means that all reptiles are illegal?
Anyone have any input?
Thanks

Are reptiles illegal there, cause I see you have other reptiles, were they bought in Rhode Island? Perhaps ask a person involved with county animal control, cause guessing they would be the ones issueing the permits.

Can anyone inform me of the laws to owning a chameleon in the state of Rhode Island? I just went to a pet store and they said they were illegal.:confused: But I found this online:

Summary of Law: No person may possess, without first obtaining a permit from the department, animals of the following orders, families, and genera: Primates, Carnivores, Amphibia, Reptilia, Canidae, and Insecta. All person obtaining a permit must demonstrate they have both adequate facilities, and adequate knowledge of animal health and husbandry to ensure both public safety and health.

Anyone have any input?
Thanks

man this is awesome, for the animals I mean, there is too many animals that end up in bad homes, this for sure reduce those number

I understand the benefits of this law, but what if I wanted to breed them? do I get a license for each baby, is breeding aloud at all?

This is just the basic summary of the law. There are a lot more nuances than that. Here is a link to the rules: http://www.dem.ri.gov/pubs/regs/regs/agric/xotkanml.pdf You will see an explanation of what species are considered domestic animals (and thus not included in the law) and what species are otherwise exempt from the law. You are required to have a permit to keep chameleons in RI.

As mentioned, this was all recently discussed at greater length in this thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/gov-exotic-animal-permits-introduction-111036/

Chris

That other forum was of great help! It just sucks. Y chameleons? Mayb we can do something to change this law. .........who's with me?

That other forum was of great help! It just sucks. Y chameleons? Mayb we can do something to change this law. .........who's with me?

It probably didn't have anything to do with chameleons specifically, but a larger classification of herps. Hard to say without knowing the history of the law.

The main point here is that keeping a chameleon is NOT completely ILLEGAL, it is RESTRICTED by a permitting system! If you give the state it's little pound of flesh you CAN have a chameleon! The pet store you asked may not want to bother selling chams because they don't want to deal with permitting paperwork and recordkeeping.

I bought my first cham in NJ where they require permits for many exotics, and filled out the $10 permit application right at the shop counter during the sale. It was quite simple.

Hey...I brought mine from NewYork, i just dont care, as long as the animal control didnt see your animal. I even brought him to the vet before, the vet told me that chameleon is illegal but the vet promised me she wont tell anybody...What part of RI are you in?

I actually like this law. Yeah you need to get a permit (I think) but this helps filter out some of the people that are not fit to care for chams or other animals. I think the people that really want the animals would be the ones to go through this whole process of permits and such and this would really prove who would be the right candidate for being a pet owner. Some people aren't cut out to own and care for another life. This does seem like a bit of a hassle though. JMO

Anyone have any input?
Thanks
Based on the legal verbiage in your original post you wouldnt be able to own a dog or a cat either?!

Based on the legal verbiage in your original post you wouldnt be able to own a dog or a cat either?!

People, read it again. You CAN own these animals IF you have the proper permit (ie...license). Just how hard is this to understand? I'm sure a quick call to any local animal shelter or animal control office would tell you the same.

@willow2415 I'm the guy who started the other thread about the permits and such. It seems there is no real easy way of doing this. Did the pet store happen to be critter hut BTW? I love that place...I would be with you to tweak the law to make it just a bit easier to obtain these permits if only with chameleons.

@vicky undercover huh... what vet would that be, I'm just curious.

Back
Top Bottom