If there were new CITES species quotas?

Other than Calumma parsonii parsonii, here is another new Madagascar quota species that is living in my montane greenhouse. I am going to be picking up a male to pair with this female soon. Can you guess the species of this Madagascar chameleon? There is new Madagascar CITES quotas species!!!

GxEobx.jpg

DKlFpA.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Other than Calumma parsonii parsonii, here is another new Madagascar quota species that is living in my montane greenhouse. I am going to be picking up a male to pair with this female soon. Can you guess the species of this Madagascar chameleon? There is new Madagascar CITES quotas species!!!

GxEobx.jpg

DKlFpA.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

all and all I do wish you and the rest who is working with this species success :) but only if we get to see the pics of the future hatchlings:D

Very healthy looking female Furcifer willsii. I kept this species back in 2000/2001. I was particularly fond of the females.

BTW, the 2015 CITES quotas have been released: http://cites.org/sites/default/files/common/quotas/2015/ExportQuotas2015.pdf

Chris

A female Furcifer willsii is the answer. I have heard many great things about this species in captivity from back in the 1990's and have always looked forward to the opportunity to keep and breed this species. This female is great.

This years CITES Madagascar chameleon quotas are the same as last years CITES quotas for Calumma and Furcifer. One note the "prep" listed next to Calumma crypticum did not translate into a new quota species this year. They shortened the list to just quota species and Calumma crypticum is not listed hence the species does not have a prep next to the species name and was not listed this year. That species is a species of Least Concern. To elaborate I think Calumma crypticum is a prospect species to becoming a quota species. Even then I am not complaining at all about the species listed on these new quotas.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
I did not want to say anything too soon. However the female Furcifer willsii is looking gravid. When she rests she looks as though she is going to pop!!!!

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

We have got breeding groups forming for many of these new Madagascar species. We have just keep conserving their natural habitat and I say we have got a some what slow however good start.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I have known for a while and upon review that not all of the Non Threatened and Vulnerable species are on the Madagascar Chameleon quota list. I absolutely think not all the Non Threatened species should be on the CITES quota list and it should stay that way. There are several Non Threatened species and several Vulnerable species that won't be imported on the CITES quota list.

Here is a list of Brookesia
Brookesia ambreensis- Near Threatened
Brookesia antakarana- Near Threatened
Brookesia brunoi- Near Threatened
Brookesia confidens- Near Threatened
Brookesia micra- Near Threatened
Brookesia tuberculata- Vulnerable

Here is a list of the Furcifer
Furcifer angeli- Least Concern
Furcifer labordi- Vulnerable
Furcifer rhinoceratus- Vulnerable
Furcifer timoni- Near Threatened

Here is a list of Calumma

Calumma amber- Near Threatened
Calumma ambreense- Near Threatened
Calumma capuroni- Vulnerable
Calumma crypticum- Least Concern
Calumma cucullatum- Vulnerable
Calumma guibei- Near Threatened
Calumma jejy- Vulnerable
Calumma peltierorum- Near Threatened
Calumma peyrierasi- Vulnerable
Calumma tsaratananense- Vulnerable
Calumma tsycorne- Vulnerable

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I have known for a while and upon review that not all of the Non Threatened and Vulnerable species are on the Madagascar Chameleon quota list. I absolutely think not all the Non Threatened species should be on the CITES quota list and it should stay that way. There are several Non Threatened species and several Vulnerable species that won't be imported on the CITES quota list.

Jeremy as I'm sure you know commercial collection is illegal in most special designated areas of Madagascar. Since you didn't explain why the species you listed aren't or won't be collected I did for you.

Brookesia ambreensis- Near Threatened-Montagne d'Ambre National Park
Brookesia antakarana- Near Threatened-Montagne d'Ambre National Park
Brookesia brunoi- Near Threatened-Anja Reserve
Brookesia confidens- Near Threatened-Ankarana National Park
Brookesia micra- Near Threatened-Nosy Hara Marine National Park
Brookesia tuberculata- Vulnerable-Montagne d'Ambre National Park

Furcifer angeli- Least Concern-Parc National d'Ankarafantsika, Parc National Baie de Baly, Parc National de Namoroka and Bongolava New Protected Area
Furcifer labordi- Vulnerable-Réserve Spéciale d'Andranomena, Parc National Mikea, Parc National Kirindy Mitea andas well as in two other protected areas that are currently under development (Antimena in the Menabe Region and PK32 Ranobe in the Atsimo Andrefana Region).
Furcifer rhinoceratus- Vulnerable-Parc National Ankarafantsika. More surveys are needed to confirm existence outside of park boundries.
Furcifer timoni- Near Threatened-Montagne d'Ambre National Park

Calumma amber- Near Threatened-Montagne d'Ambre National Park
Calumma ambreense- Near Threatened-Montagne d'Ambre National Park
Calumma capuroni- Vulnerable-Parc National d'Andohahela
Calumma crypticum- Least Concern-
Calumma guibei- Near Threatened-Réserve Naturelle Intégrale de Tsaratanana
Calumma jejy- Vulnerable-Parc National de Marojejy
Calumma peltierorum- Near Threatened-Réserve Naturelle Intégrale de Tsaratanana and Réserve Spéciale d'Anjanhajaribe-Sud
Calumma peyrierasi- Vulnerable-Marojejy National Park Calumma tsaratananense- Vulnerable Réserve Naturelle Intégrale de Tsaratanana
Calumma tsycorne- Vulnerable Réserve Spéciale Kalambatritra, Parc National d'Andohahela and Parc National Midongy

Carl

Jeremy as I'm sure you know commercial collection is illegal in most special designated areas of Madagascar. Since you didn't explain why the species you listed aren't or won't be collected I did for you.

Brookesia ambreensis- Near Threatened-Montagne d'Ambre National Park
Brookesia antakarana- Near Threatened-Montagne d'Ambre National Park
Brookesia brunoi- Near Threatened-Anja Reserve
Brookesia confidens- Near Threatened-Ankarana National Park
Brookesia micra- Near Threatened-Nosy Hara Marine National Park
Brookesia tuberculata- Vulnerable-Montagne d'Ambre National Park

Furcifer angeli- Least Concern-Parc National d'Ankarafantsika, Parc National Baie de Baly, Parc National de Namoroka and Bongolava New Protected Area
Furcifer labordi- Vulnerable-Réserve Spéciale d'Andranomena, Parc National Mikea, Parc National Kirindy Mitea andas well as in two other protected areas that are currently under development (Antimena in the Menabe Region and PK32 Ranobe in the Atsimo Andrefana Region).
Furcifer rhinoceratus- Vulnerable-Parc National Ankarafantsika. More surveys are needed to confirm existence outside of park boundries.
Furcifer timoni- Near Threatened-Montagne d'Ambre National Park

Calumma amber- Near Threatened-Montagne d'Ambre National Park
Calumma ambreense- Near Threatened-Montagne d'Ambre National Park
Calumma capuroni- Vulnerable-Parc National d'Andohahela
Calumma crypticum- Least Concern-
Calumma guibei- Near Threatened-Réserve Naturelle Intégrale de Tsaratanana
Calumma jejy- Vulnerable-Parc National de Marojejy
Calumma peltierorum- Near Threatened-Réserve Naturelle Intégrale de Tsaratanana and Réserve Spéciale d'Anjanhajaribe-Sud
Calumma peyrierasi- Vulnerable-Marojejy National Park Calumma tsaratananense- Vulnerable Réserve Naturelle Intégrale de Tsaratanana
Calumma tsycorne- Vulnerable Réserve Spéciale Kalambatritra, Parc National d'Andohahela and Parc National Midongy

Carl

To be collected and be qualified as a Vulnerable species or less threatened their range has to be much larger than just than one or two National Parks. Look at the google map on the IUCN Red List page for an accurate range size for these species. There is most probably more smaller preserves other than National Parks protecting these species as well.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Sorry, Jeremy, but from your list, Calumma amber, C. capuroni, C. cucullatum, C. guibei, C. jejy, C. peltierorum, C. peyrierasi, C. tsaratananense, C. tsycorne, Furcifer angeli, and F. labordi remain under the 1995 trade suspension pending recognition by CITES of compliance with paragraphs 2(a) and 3 of Article IV by Madagascar. Further, Brookesia ambreensis, B. antakarana, B. brunoi, B. confidens, B. micra, B. tuberculata, F. timoni, C. amber, C. ambreense, C. capuroni, C. guibei, C. jejy, C. peltierorum, C. peyrierasi and C. tsaratananense are not currently documented as occurring in sites from where collection is permitted. That leaves F. rhinoceratus and C. crypticum from your list, so most of those species are unlikely to get quotas until the suspension on them is lifted and/or occurrence outside of protected areas is confirmed.

Chris

To be collected and be qualified as a Vulnerable species or less threatened their range has to be much larger than just than one or two National Parks. Look at the google map on the IUCN Red List page for an accurate range size for these species. There is most probably more smaller preserves other than National Parks protecting these species as well.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Also, the maps on the IUCN Red List are based on the Extent of Occurrence, which is "the area contained within the shortest continuous imaginary boundary which can be drawn to encompass all the known, inferred or projected sites of present occurrence of a taxon". The Area of Occupancy, on the other hand, is "the area within its 'extent of occurrence' which is occupied by a taxon". The Extent of Occurrence measurements are generally much larger than one or two national parks, but the Area of Occupancy is often not, particularly since some of these parks are extremely large.

Chris

Sorry, Jeremy, but from your list, Calumma amber, C. capuroni, C. cucullatum, C. guibei, C. jejy, C. peltierorum, C. peyrierasi, C. tsaratananense, C. tsycorne, Furcifer angeli, and F. labordi remain under the 1995 trade suspension pending recognition by CITES of compliance with paragraphs 2(a) and 3 of Article IV by Madagascar. Further, Brookesia ambreensis, B. antakarana, B. brunoi, B. confidens, B. micra, B. tuberculata, F. timoni, C. amber, C. ambreense, C. capuroni, C. guibei, C. jejy, C. peltierorum, C. peyrierasi and C. tsaratananense are not currently documented as occurring in sites from where collection is permitted. That leaves F. rhinoceratus and C. crypticum from your list, so most of those species are unlikely to get quotas until the suspension on them is lifted and/or occurrence outside of protected areas is confirmed.

Chris

Chris

You did not understand me then. I was stating that these species listed as Non Threatened or Vulnerable species are not listed as quota species. If there becomes a trend of new quota chameleon species (seems to be happening) I think for the most part that most of these Non Threatened and Vulnerable species should stay off the CITES quota list. As this gives Eco Tourist something to look forward too that is not in their living room and keeps wildlife areas wild and not totally on the Agricultural (pristine wild areas/exploitation ranched or collected wild areas) side of things.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Chris

You did not understand me then. I was stating that these species listed as Non Threatened or Vulnerable species are not listed as quota species. If there becomes a trend of new quota chameleon species (seems to be happening) I think for the most part that most of these Non Threatened and Vulnerable species should stay off the CITES quota list. As this gives Eco Tourist something to look forward too that is not in their living room and keeps wildlife areas wild and not totally on the Agricultural (pristine wild areas/exploitation ranched or collected wild areas) side of things.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Jeremy,

You're right, I missed the "not" part. In either event, the above are reasons are why we will be unlikely to have those species added to a quota list, at least until a number of things change.

Chris

Jeremy,

You're right, I missed the "not" part. In either event, the above are reasons are why we will be unlikely to have those species added to a quota list, at least until a number of things change.

Chris

Chris

I actually think it is good to have some non threatened species that are not on the quota list.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Just an update Furcifer angeli has been added to the Madagascar CITES Quotas list. The quota is similar to Furcifer antimena as it is for 150 Furcifer angeli to export a year. Furcifer angeli is a Western Madagascar species. Looks as though a quota of 500 Furcifer viridis is a late add as well. Here are some links.

The CITES quota page for Madagascar
https://cites.org/eng/resources/quo...full_name_tid=&field_export_quotas_year_value

http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/172962/0

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom