If there were new CITES species quotas?

To state again keepers who are planning on keeping and breeding any of these new quota species are encouraged to read Old CIN Issues or collaborate with experienced keepers from Europe or Asia.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Everyone reading this thread should read my Blog. It is a fair warning about these new Madagascar quotas species and there difficulty to breed.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-new-2014-madagascar-cites-quota-species.html

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

This is a quote from another thread however it applies here to this thread too.

"I have stated stay away from species that are listed as Endangered and especially species that are listed as Critically Endangered. Allow conservationists to take care of their job and restore populations/habitat. Collecting species that are Endangered while active conservation programs are going on could be said as undermining the restoration program. As well I have got concerns about exporting populations that are listed as Vulnerable. They are a bubble species to me."

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

To state again keepers who are planning on keeping and breeding any of these new quota species are encouraged to read Old CIN Issues or collaborate with experienced keepers from Europe or Asia.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I don't want to be confrontational but I must ask: what qualifies you to tell people how to approach breeding and keeping chameleons? What species have you bred? Don't you own a solitary male parsonii? I am a biology educator and former zoo professional with both personal and professional experience breeding endangered animals and I don't feel nearly qualified enough to make the kind of declarative statements that you are making here and in other threads. You clearly care about chameleons, which is commendable, but caring does not equate to authority.

I don't want to be confrontational but I must ask: what qualifies you to tell people how to approach breeding and keeping chameleons? What species have you bred? Don't you own a solitary male parsonii? I am a biology educator and former zoo professional with both personal and professional experience breeding endangered animals and I don't feel nearly qualified enough to make the kind of declarative statements that you are making here and in other threads. You clearly care about chameleons, which is commendable, but caring does not equate to authority.

Well said, Frank. Here is more information on your inquiry:

Jeremy just out of curiosity what species have you bred and produced offspring in the last 5 years?

I produced eggs from Furcifer pardalis and Chamaeleo africanus. All were infertile. I am working with Trioceros deremensis as well. I until 2012 when I graduated was mostly concerned with classes at UC Davis. My UC Davis apartment only allowed me to keep a couple of chameleons. I am not breeding chameleons as much as I would prefer such as in the past.

You say in the past, what species did you breed and produce?

I have bred and produced Furcifer pardalis, Furcifer lateralis, and Furcifer verrucosus semicristatus. The ranch house would only allow for my brother and I to keep and work with warm weather species.

You should use this app.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/species/experience.php

Since it was mentioned in the above post, here is the specific list of species experience: https://www.chameleonforums.com/species/experience.php?user=7257

Chris

I am not posting my resume however this is my background with regards to Conservation Biology. Actually I have got an UC Davis Degree in Agricultural Management and Rangeland Resources. Not apparent to most however the agricultural sciences study extensively both plant and animal biology and before my degree and during my UC Davis schooling I lived on "The Rich Ranch" for 15 years (a 15 year ranch internship) where I managed relationship between wildlife and ranch life. I was allowed 15 years of home taught conservation biology such as Mountain Lion relationship with Cattle, managing the 12 acre ranch pond as a sport fishery with contemporary fishery management techniques, and Wood Duck nesting management. As well during my studies at UC Davis I studied in depth Forestry which is a branch of AGRICULTURE and the importance of staying to the Endangered Species Act. Or making certain endangered species are not exploited when they are on a path to recovery.

As well because of my cross over interests of Agriculture and Conservation Biology I was recruited by Professor Peter B. Moyle Ph.D. (Department of Wildlife Fish and Conservation Biology) for a 2 year UC Davis Independent Studies Program of a 1200 acre reservoir I am Co Managing as a Sport fishery. That program officially ended in 2011 however I am still actively managing the reservoir and continuing the program as a continuation of the independant studies program as a whole and have already produced good results with some of the data collected. As well I am actively talking/consulting with two other UC Davis Professors Professor Douglas Kelt Ph.D. and Professor Dirt Van Vuren Ph.D. and second UC about the reintroductions Pronghorn Antelope (Antilocapra amaricana oregona) and Tule Elk (Cervus canadensis nannodes) to the Sierra Nevada rangelands and foothills. This is an attempt to conserve the gold countries western heritage, conserve native species/ecosystems, provide financial incentives to local ranchers to keep cattle ranches long term, provide jobs localy to the area, and provide recreation for people.

As well at an extremely early age, grammar school, I learned ecology and essentials biology from one of the nations top schools UC Berkley Summer Science Camps programs. There I was always surrounded by scholars one of whom I happened to meet again at a recent symposium James J. Siegel Ph.D. a Biologist from U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Through out all my schooling I have always been top of the class or near top of the class for classes in the sciences. As well during some of my junior college schooling in Southern California during the 1990's I was offered a job on the California Condor Recover team by Senior Biologist Jan Hamber after regular consultations at the Santa Barbara Natural History Museum. That I passed on because I moved to Malibu even though I am consult with the California Condor program today. Plus I just completed a six month internship restoring Endangered Salmonid habitat in Marin County located in Northern California.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-...angered-salmonid-habitat-marin-county-136575/

While with Salmon Water And Protection Network the people I approached about restoration programs in Madagascar were extremely interested and I am keeping tabs with their organization. However they are absolutely not for anyone undermining their restoration programs. All that plus some other things I have got going on I think qualifies my to speak and have an opinion about Forestry and Conservation Biology.

You being a former biology educator from a Zoo are saying we should go and collect species that are IUCN Red List Species listed as Endangered and allow them to be sold to the hobby? As an educator that sounds totally against and undermining the ethics of a Zoo's breeding program? These Endangered species are serving no Academic, Conservation, or Scientific purpose? They are not even going to a Zoological society a place that can provide those three attributes.

Since it was mentioned in the above post, here is the specific list of species experience: https://www.chameleonforums.com/species/experience.php?user=7257

Chris

I am good that I only acquired my one male Calumma parsonii parsonii. Actually with how much of a gamble it was before the new quotas were made I am glad I held off on buying a female Calumma parsonii parsonii. I was extremely reluctant to role the dice and buy 12 prospect black market animals and undermine conservation efforts. Chris you are shallow in your depth again I was apart of a Calumma parsonii parsonii breeding program in the late 1990's that produced baby Calumma parsonii parsonii. I did not incubate the eggs however I provided the best food imaginable during the summer from my families ranch that produced the babies. Good job Ed! I contributed. I have bred multiple species. However if I finally stayed next to the greenhouse for a extended length of time I would breed more chameleons (I have got a gravid female now). However I am more concerned with keeping the opportunity to keep and breed these chameleons in captivity than how many I have actually bred at this time. Captive breeding chameleons for profit and the hobby actually sounds as branch of Agriculture not a branch of Biology.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Chris

I am good that I only acquired my one male Calumma parsonii parsonii. Actually with how much of a gamble it was before the new quotas were made I am glad I held off on buying a female Calumma parsonii parsonii. I was extremely reluctant to role the dice and buy 12 prospect black market animals and undermine conservation efforts. Chris you are shallow in your depth again I was apart of a Calumma parsonii parsonii breeding program in the late 1990's that produced baby Calumma parsonii parsonii. I did not incubate the eggs however I provided the best food imaginable during the summer from my families ranch that produced the babies. Good job Ed! I contributed. I have bred multiple species. However if I finally stayed next to the greenhouse for a extended length of time I would breed more chameleons (I have got a gravid female now). However I am more concerned with keeping the opportunity to keep and breed these chameleons in captivity than how many I have actually bred at this time. Captive breeding chameleons for profit and the hobby actually sounds as branch of Agriculture not a branch of Biology.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

You are welcome to claim that I am "shallow in my depth" all you want, Jeremy, but at the end of the day claiming other people's successes as your own doesn't help your cause. You've been talking down to and acting like an authority over some of the best, most experienced, and most successful keepers and breeders in the hobby today. People like Kevin have forgotten more about breeding chameleons than you have actual experience doing it, and its no wonder that once again people are voicing their frustration with you pretending to be something you are not. I quoted you on your experience and referenced the experience list you tell others to use, and it speaks volumes.

Chris

I am not posting my resume however this is my background with regards to Conservation Biology. Actually I have got an UC Davis Degree in Agricultural Management and Rangeland Resources. Not apparent to most however the agricultural sciences study extensively both plant and animal biology and before my degree and during my UC Davis schooling I lived on "The Rich Ranch" for 15 years (a 15 year ranch internship) where I managed relationship between wildlife and ranch life. I was allowed 15 years of home taught conservation biology such as Mountain Lion relationship with Cattle, managing the 12 acre ranch pond as a sport fishery with contemporary fishery management techniques, and Wood Duck nesting management. As well during my studies at UC Davis I studied in depth Forestry which is a branch of AGRICULTURE and the importance of staying to the Endangered Species Act. Or making certain endangered species are not exploited when they are on a path to recovery.

As well because of my cross over interests of Agriculture and Conservation Biology I was recruited by Professor Peter B. Moyle Ph.D. (Department of Wildlife Fish and Conservation Biology) for a 2 year UC Davis Independent Studies Program of a 1200 acre reservoir I am Co Managing as a Sport fishery. That program officially ended in 2011 however I am still actively managing the reservoir and continuing the program as a continuation of the independant studies program as a whole and have already produced good results with some of the data collected. As well I am actively talking/consulting with two other UC Davis Professors Professor Douglas Kelt Ph.D. and Professor Dirt Van Vuren Ph.D. and second UC about the reintroductions Pronghorn Antelope (Antilocapra amaricana oregona) and Tule Elk (Cervus canadensis nannodes) to the Sierra Nevada rangelands and foothills. This is an attempt to conserve the gold countries western heritage, conserve native species/ecosystems, provide financial incentives to local ranchers to keep cattle ranches long term, provide jobs localy to the area, and provide recreation for people.

As well at an extremely early age, grammar school, I learned ecology and essentials biology from one of the nations top schools UC Berkley Summer Science Camps programs. There I was always surrounded by scholars one of whom I happened to meet again at a recent symposium James J. Siegel Ph.D. a Biologist from U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Through out all my schooling I have always been top of the class or near top of the class for classes in the sciences. As well during some of my junior college schooling in Southern California during the 1990's I was offered a job on the California Condor Recover team by Senior Biologist Jan Hamber after regular consultations at the Santa Barbara Natural History Museum. That I passed on because I moved to Malibu even though I am consult with the California Condor program today. Plus I just completed a six month internship restoring Endangered Salmonid habitat in Marin County located in Northern California.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-...angered-salmonid-habitat-marin-county-136575/

While with Salmon Water And Protection Network the people I approached about restoration programs in Madagascar were extremely interested and I am keeping tabs with their organization. However they are absolutely not for anyone undermining their restoration programs. All that plus some other things I have got going on I think qualifies my to speak and have an opinion about Forestry and Conservation Biology.

You being a former biology educator from a Zoo are saying we should go and collect species that are IUCN Red List Species listed as Endangered and allow them to be sold to the hobby? As an educator that sounds totally against and undermining the ethics of a Zoo's breeding program? These Endangered species are serving no Academic, Conservation, or Scientific purpose? They are not even going to a Zoological society a place that can provide those three attributes.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Jeremy, it really is very difficult to parse what you are trying to get across from your text. I don't see how having further discourse with you will benefit me, you, or anyone else. I am leaving this conversation.

You are welcome to claim that I am "shallow in my depth" all you want, Jeremy, but at the end of the day claiming other people's successes as your own doesn't help your cause. You've been talking down to and acting like an authority over some of the best, most experienced, and most successful keepers and breeders in the hobby today. People like Kevin have forgotten more about breeding chameleons than you have actual experience doing it, and its no wonder that once again people are voicing their frustration with you pretending to be something you are not. I quoted you on your experience and referenced the experience list you tell others to use, and it speaks volumes.

Chris

Chris, absolutely spot on. Thank you.

Chris

Why the accusations Chris? You seem to want to use your devils advocate approach to talking to me? If you would not over look accomplishments such as a breeding group that actually accomplished its goals, that would count for something. Especially any kind of Calumma parsonii parsonii breeding group in the 1990''s, that I was a part of and that hatched Calumma parsonii parsonii? As well your mentioning Dooley? The only problem I had with Dooley is that in the middle of a thread conversation about if Furcifer campani breeding was going on he stated nothing was happening when he was incubating 2 clutches of eggs? I never mentioned his Furcifer lateralis breeding so why is him breeding chameleons even a point being brought up at all? If you look at experience points I have got 3 going on 4 he has got 0 listed! If he bred Furcifer campani the would be possibly 2. Who have I down talked to on these forums about breeding? Steve once and I did have more experience about breeding Calumma parsonii parsonii then. 90% of my posts on these Forums are to advocate for keepers to look to buy and produce captive bred chameleons and for chameleon conservation. Your statement are off about me.

Jeremy, it really is very difficult to parse what you are trying to get across from your text. I don't see how having further discourse with you will benefit me, you, or anyone else. I am leaving this conversation.

Chris, absolutely spot on. Thank you.

You ask for some background and do not understand? Yet you think Chris's comments are spot on about something you do not understand? Absurd!

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
You ask for some background and do not understand? Yet you think Chris's comments are spot on about something you do not understand? Absurd!

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich[/QUOTE]

To be more specific, what I meant is that your grasp on the English language in typed form is so tenuous that I have a hard time understanding what points you are trying to make. You apply so many fallacies in your arguments it's hard to keep up. Examples of which include: ad hominem, argument by question, fallacy of the general rule, reductive fallacy, argument by vehemence, argument from false authority, ambiguous assertion, et cetera, et cetera. I really do not want any more part of this conversation but when I'm personally attacked and called "absurd" I feel the need to respond and defend my statements.

If you look at experience points I have got 3 going on 4 he has got 0 listed! If he bred Furcifer campani the would be possibly 2.[/QUOTE said:
Jeremy,

I don't feel offended, I am just curious...what does the above mean? Does that mean a spot of the forum to list breeding experience?

....update on the above....

That feature is pretty cool and I just recorded the species. I should really see what features this forum offers! Haha!

Last edited:
Jeremy,

I don't feel offended, I am just curious...what does the above mean? Does that mean a spot of the forum to list breeding experience?

That feature is pretty cool and I just recorded the species. I should really see what features this forum offers! Haha!

You just aren't very experienced Kevin. I mean only 0 points!

Jeremy,
You didn't even mention me teaching you how to breed Schistocerca shoeshone!!

I could never figure out why you got so mad when I refused to wright up a care and breeding guide for them, but now that I see your selling care sheets for them I understand.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Chris you are shallow in your depth again I was apart of a Calumma parsonii parsonii breeding program in the late 1990's that produced baby Calumma parsonii parsonii. I did not incubate the eggs however I provided the best food imaginable during the summer from my families ranch that produced the babies. Good job Ed! I contributed.

Who have I down talked to on these forums about breeding? Steve once and I did have more experience about breeding Calumma parsonii parsonii then.

Jeremy,

I could never figure out why you got so mad when I refused to wright up a care and breeding guide for them, but now that I see your selling care sheets for them I understand.

Steven,

I hope you've acknowledged the person you buy your crickets from for their success in your efforts breeding and hatching C. p. parsonii. After all, they deserve credit for your success just as much as you do!

Chris

Last edited:
You just aren't very experienced Kevin. I mean only 0 points!

Up until about an hour ago I also had zero. I normally don't go for such things because anybody can put whatever they want there, but seeing how some members actually put a value on that I went ahead and participated in it.

The only two species on my list that have photos of representative animals are veiled and panther.:rolleyes:

Up until about an hour ago I also had zero. I normally don't go for such things because anybody can put whatever they want there, but seeing how some members actually put a value on that I went ahead and participated in it.

The only two species on my list that have photos of representative animals are veiled and panther.:rolleyes:

Same here Mike.

Hey Everyone

Since my breeding is the topic I just captive hatched 14 Triocero wererni today:D!

Jeremy,

I would not use that feature Dooley. Chris and Frank used this application to twisted this thread put me on the spot about my breeding history. When this thread is about species status in the wild and prospect CITES quotas. That is a completely twisted direction of what the topic this thread is a about. If anyone wants to hear about my conservation biology background send me a pm.

Jeremy,

Steve yeah right. Again then I was angry because our arrangement was that, from the beginning, you would contribute knowledge for a Schistocerca care sheets and you openly were going to renege on that arrangement/deal. You did not teach me I provided most of the information (I taught you) about Schistocerca shoshone and the information I got from you I had to pry from you. As well I did the captive breeding for Schistocerca nitens, that has a much different life history than Schistocerca shoshone, completely without you. I have done the breeding for both species and even though you openly reneged on our deal I did give you some acknowledgement in the Schistocerca shoshone copyright. Steve you openly stated with Fish and Game around you did not want your name to be posted on a Schistocerca care sheet acknowledgements.

Steven,

I hope you've acknowledged the person you buy your crickets from for their success in your efforts breeding and hatching C. p. parsonii. After all, they deserve credit for your success just as much as you do!

Chris

As stated I listed him somewhat in the acknowledgements even though he initially reneged on our arrangement/deal. Our arrangement (Steve and mine) even with new CITES quotas and especially Calumma parsonii parsonii quotas could prove to be extremely important food source resource!

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom