Should There Be or Why Aren't There CITES Quotas for Cameroon?

Motherlode Chameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
Talking to exporters it appears chameleons coming from Cameroon have to have CITES papers to be legally exported. However upon review (and I have asked myself this for a long time) when reviewing the current CITES export quotas page, Cameroon is not listed as have any quotas for any of its chameleon species? Why is there not CITES quotas for the Trioceros ( and other genera) species that are exported from Cameroon (and other west African countries)? The quota system is a documented on the book way of managing and maintaining imports while monitoring species in the wild. This is huge progress from non documented, non monitored and non regulated to a hunter gather approach to collecting and exporting. Even though it appears CITES paperwork is required to export these non quota species to other countries.

http://cites.org/sites/default/files/common/quotas/2014/ExportQuotas2014.pdf

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Talking to exporters it appears chameleons coming from Cameroon have to have CITES papers to be legally exported. However upon review (and I have asked myself this for a long time) when reviewing the current CITES export quotas page, Cameroon is not listed as have any quotas for any of its chameleon species? Why is there not CITES quotas for the Trioceros ( and other genera) species that are exported from Cameroon (and other west African countries)? The quota system is a documented on the book way of managing and maintaining imports while monitoring species in the wild. This is huge progress from non documented, non monitored and non regulated to a hunter gather approach to collecting and exporting. Even though it appears CITES paperwork is required to export these non quota species to other countries.

http://cites.org/sites/default/files/common/quotas/2014/ExportQuotas2014.pdf

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

CITES permits are required to transport any CITES Appendix II or Appendix I species across international boarders (and thus to export), regardless of whether there are annual CITES quotas issued for that species or not. Thus, all chameleons except Rhampholeon spectrum being exported from Cameroon and other west African countries (no other non-CITES listed chameleon species occur in these areas) require CITES permits to be exported legally.

That said, there is no requirement for CITES parties (signatory nations) to establish export quotas to limit trade in CITES species as long as trade levels are non-detrimental. CITES requires that trade in CITES species be monitored and documented. They may make resolutions recommending the suspension of trade if there is reason to suspect trade levels are detrimental to the survival of the species, but if trade levels are non-detrimental and the parties are abiding by reporting requirements and requests for information, quotas are not required.

Typically trade levels in CITES species are explicitly managed, but this management can occur within national management authorities (an example would be a quota system established in house or simply a review process required for permits) rather than via CITES. Now, annual CITES quotas can be imposed (following a detrimental finding or lack or response to a review of significant trade) or can be set by the CITES party themselves. The CITES quota system, as you said, is and effective tool for managing trade levels, and many countries use the CITES quota system so do so, but Cameroon does not consistently do so.

Chris

CITES permits are required to transport any CITES Appendix II or Appendix I species across international boarders (and thus to export), regardless of whether there are annual CITES quotas issued for that species or not. Thus, all chameleons except Rhampholeon spectrum being exported from Cameroon and other west African countries (no other non-CITES listed chameleon species occur in these areas) require CITES permits to be exported legally.

That said, there is no requirement for CITES parties (signatory nations) to establish export quotas to limit trade in CITES species as long as trade levels are non-detrimental. CITES requires that trade in CITES species be monitored and documented. They may make resolutions recommending the suspension of trade if there is reason to suspect trade levels are detrimental to the survival of the species, but if trade levels are non-detrimental and the parties are abiding by reporting requirements and requests for information, quotas are not required.

Typically trade levels in CITES species are explicitly managed, but this management can occur within national management authorities (an example would be a quota system established in house or simply a review process required for permits) rather than via CITES. Now, annual CITES quotas can be imposed (following a detrimental finding or lack or response to a review of significant trade) or can be set by the CITES party themselves. The CITES quota system, as you said, is and effective tool for managing trade levels, and many countries use the CITES quota system so do so, but Cameroon does not consistently do so.

Chris

Chris

A detail many of the chameleon keeping community are alert too, West Africa especially "Cameroon" has got some great highly prized chameleon species especially from the genus Trioceros. That area is a hostile area and has other conservation problems, such as conservation of Forest Elephants, Lowland Gorillas or Chimpanzees. I just assume that an area that has conservation problems of treasured and non replaceable wildlife could use a quota system to manage the exports of some of their wildlife (chameleons). Even if it is chameleons allowed for occasional export or to close exports. That could be seen as a start of conservation programs (more organized other than just CITES permits to other countries) and could lead to other worthy programs in that country or area of Africa. The thing with conservation is conservation should happen sooner than later if you want the results. Waiting around without conservation or management of your prized chameleons if you want to keep your chameleons in the hobby is a receipt for disaster. I think if Cameroon and other West African countries could be convinced they should have quotas made for the chameleons they plan to export. Even though they have other huge problems to deal with it is addressing an agenda of conservation biology and a step toward a more developed Cameroon.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Chris

A detail many of the chameleon keeping community are alert too, West Africa especially "Cameroon" has got some great highly prized chameleon species especially from the genus Trioceros. That area is a hostile area and has other conservation problems, such as conservation of Forest Elephants, Lowland Gorillas or Chimpanzees. I just assume that an area that has conservation problems of treasured and non replaceable wildlife could use a quota system to manage the exports of some of their wildlife (chameleons). Even if it is chameleons allowed for occasional export or to close exports. That could be seen as a start of conservation programs (more organized other than just CITES permits to other countries) and could lead to other worthy programs in that country or area of Africa. The thing with conservation is conservation should happen sooner than later if you want the results. Waiting around without conservation or management of your prized chameleons if you want to keep your chameleons in the hobby is a receipt for disaster. I think if Cameroon and other West African countries could be convinced they should have quotas made for the chameleons they plan to export. Even though they have other huge problems to deal with it is addressing an agenda of conservation biology and a step toward a more developed Cameroon.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Yes, but since CITES is an international agreement that parties (countries) agree to sign on to voluntarily, the requirements of it have to avoid imposing restrictions on the economy of those parties unless there is significant cause to do so. Otherwise, countries would not sign on to the agreement and it would be completely useless. Obviously conservation should happen sooner than later, but the rules for imposing restrictions have to balance that need with the need to have the countries participate in the conservation program.

The trade in their chameleons is monitored by CITES, however, and has previously been the subject of CITES reviews of significant trade for certain species, and is the subject of ongoing reviews for others. Reviews for Chamaeleo dilepis, C. gracilis and C. senegalensis were all either dropped early because it became apparent trade levels were not a threat, or determined that trade levels were of least concern. The review of significant trade in Trioceros quadricornis was just completed, and determined that trade in that species from Cameroon was of possible concern and a request for additional data has been made (see https://www.chameleonforums.com/cites-review-significant-trade-129331/ for information). Finally, a review of significant trade for T. montium has just started this year. These reviews are designed to flag trade of concern and curb trade that may be detrimental.

That said, Cameroon does manage the exports of their chameleons, they just don't use the CITES quota system. Cameroon's regulations are through the Ministère des Forêts et de la Faune (MINFOF) and the protection levels are outlined in "La législation faunique camerounaise comme un outil de protection des espèces animales menacées d’extinction au Cameroun".

Chris

Yes, but since CITES is an international agreement that parties (countries) agree to sign on to voluntarily, the requirements of it have to avoid imposing restrictions on the economy of those parties unless there is significant cause to do so. Otherwise, countries would not sign on to the agreement and it would be completely useless. Obviously conservation should happen sooner than later, but the rules for imposing restrictions have to balance that need with the need to have the countries participate in the conservation program.

The trade in their chameleons is monitored by CITES, however, and has previously been the subject of CITES reviews of significant trade for certain species, and is the subject of ongoing reviews for others. Reviews for Chamaeleo dilepis, C. gracilis and C. senegalensis were all either dropped early because it became apparent trade levels were not a threat, or determined that trade levels were of least concern. The review of significant trade in Trioceros quadricornis was just completed, and determined that trade in that species from Cameroon was of possible concern and a request for additional data has been made (see https://www.chameleonforums.com/cites-review-significant-trade-129331/ for information). Finally, a review of significant trade for T. montium has just started this year. These reviews are designed to flag trade of concern and curb trade that may be detrimental.

That said, Cameroon does manage the exports of their chameleons, they just don't use the CITES quota system. Cameroon's regulations are through the Ministère des Forêts et de la Faune (MINFOF) and the protection levels are outlined in "La législation faunique camerounaise comme un outil de protection des espèces animales menacées d’extinction au Cameroun".

Chris

Chris

I recall reading your post about CITES review of Significant Trade and again thanks for posting that material. I concur with you and understand the points about not making a country forcibly join apart of a voluntary CITES program if they don't want too especially if there countries economy is a consideration.

However if there is going to be exports of threatened and prized chameleons that are listed as species of "possible concern" on a review of a significant trade, I think those species would be best managed if they had CITES managed quotas. These countries who may read these posts from a Google search and have stayed away from becoming part of the CITES quota program may be persuaded to become CITES quota members (after all after about 17-19 years there are new quotas for Madagascar).

West African countries or Cameroon may become more advanced conservation biology wise because of reading those posts on these Forums from enthusiasts/buyers/experts in other countries. This as well is proactive towards conserving prized species in the hobby and in their native habitat long term. This is a worthy topic.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

However if there is going to be exports of threatened and prized chameleons that are listed as species of "possible concern" on a review of a significant trade, I think those species would be best managed if they had CITES managed quotas.

One result of the possible concern finding of the CITES Review of Significant Trade in T. quadricornis from Cameroon is that the Cameroon Management Authority has to provide the CITES Secretariat with "a justification for, and details of, the scientific basis by which it has been established that the quantities of Trioceros quadricornis exported are not detrimental to the survival of the species". If their response is not satisfactory, CITES could issue a recommendation to ban import of T. quadricornis exports from Cameroon (like what happened with Madagascar). So, CITES is requiring information on the management procedures of quantities being exported by Cameroon and is still positioned to stop trade if it is not being reasonably managed. True, using the CITES quota system would be one way of doing that, but as long as their management is in compliance with Article IV, paragraphs 2 (a) and 3 of CITES, they are abiding by CITES regulations without it. I personally like the centralized quota system that the CITES quotas provide, but just because a country doesn't use it does not mean their conservation efforts are any worse than if they were.

These countries who may read these posts from a Google search and have stayed away from becoming part of the CITES quota program may be persuaded to become CITES quota members (after all after about 17-19 years there are new quotas for Madagascar).

The 17-19 year ban on exports of most Calumma and Furcifer species from Madagascar really has very little to do with the CITES quota system. That ban was a result of a failure of the Malagasy Management Authority to provide a sufficient response to the requests made by CITES following a Review of Significant Trade. The new quotas are the result of the Malagasy Management Authority finally showing that they were taking proper steps to ensure trade in those species was being properly monitored and was non detrimental to those species. The use of the CITES quota system was not an explicit requirement to do so, however. The suspension of trade could have been similarly retracted if they could show they were using another management system. Obviously the CITES quota system is the most transparent system for satisfying those requests, but is not itself an indicator that they couldn't do just as good managing the trade in another way.

West African countries or Cameroon may become more advanced conservation biology wise because of reading those posts on these Forums from enthusiasts/buyers/experts in other countries. This as well is proactive towards conserving prized species in the hobby and in their native habitat long term. This is a worthy topic.

I don't think I agree with the assumption that the CITES quota system is inherently more advanced than any other system that could potentially be used. These countries have a lot of conservation issues, and I'm not suggesting what they are doing is better either (I don't think they are), I just mean to clarify that the CITES quota system is not necessarily the end-all and be-all of trade management. I like it because it is transparent, centralized, and clearly defined, which I think are all beneficial. I also would encourage management authorities to use this system for those reasons. I do think there are things that could be improved, however, and individual management authorities could conceivably establish a system which would be better.

Chris

One result of the possible concern finding of the CITES Review of Significant Trade in T. quadricornis from Cameroon is that the Cameroon Management Authority has to provide the CITES Secretariat with "a justification for, and details of, the scientific basis by which it has been established that the quantities of Trioceros quadricornis exported are not detrimental to the survival of the species". If their response is not satisfactory, CITES could issue a recommendation to ban import of T. quadricornis exports from Cameroon (like what happened with Madagascar). So, CITES is requiring information on the management procedures of quantities being exported by Cameroon and is still positioned to stop trade if it is not being reasonably managed. True, using the CITES quota system would be one way of doing that, but as long as their management is in compliance with Article IV, paragraphs 2 (a) and 3 of CITES, they are abiding by CITES regulations without it. I personally like the centralized quota system that the CITES quotas provide, but just because a country doesn't use it does not mean their conservation efforts are any worse than if they were.

The quota system is a great system, however it is a system that is similar to technology. If you don not keep pace with the time you get left behind. Cameroon and other West African countries are already struggling as is.

The 17-19 year ban on exports of most Calumma and Furcifer species from Madagascar really has very little to do with the CITES quota system. That ban was a result of a failure of the Malagasy Management Authority to provide a sufficient response to the requests made by CITES following a Review of Significant Trade. The new quotas are the result of the Malagasy Management Authority finally showing that they were taking proper steps to ensure trade in those species was being properly monitored and was non detrimental to those species. The use of the CITES quota system was not an explicit requirement to do so, however. The suspension of trade could have been similarly retracted if they could show they were using another management system. Obviously the CITES quota system is the most transparent system for satisfying those requests, but is not itself an indicator that they couldn't do just as good managing the trade in another way.

I was actually talking about the end of the 17-19 year Madagascar ban. Posts on these Forums energizing and motivating internet readers (from Madagascar?) to change a chameleon ban that was almost 20 years old. That does not happen often/if at all in conservation biology especially for the wildlife hobby (specimens or pets). That is something that could happen for West African countries such as Cameroon in regards to starting a CITES quota system. As you stated it is not the only way, however it is an applicable and proven system that could lead these countries conserving their wildlife and becoming more developed nations.

I don't think I agree with the assumption that the CITES quota system is inherently more advanced than any other system that could potentially be used. These countries have a lot of conservation issues, and I'm not suggesting what they are doing is better either (I don't think they are), I just mean to clarify that the CITES quota system is not necessarily the end-all and be-all of trade management. I like it because it is transparent, centralized, and clearly defined, which I think are all beneficial. I also would encourage management authorities to use this system for those reasons. I do think there are things that could be improved, however, and individual management authorities could conceivably establish a system which would be better.

Chris

It seems to be a system that is applicable and capable of doing the job in non developed countries. When the time comes that another system proves worthy of replacing the CITES quota system that system shall replace this current system. This system is the best on the books system I have seen that monitors exports of chameleon species. It is a strong system for all the reasons you mentioned as transparent, centralized, and is clearly defined that I think are key points not just for CITES officials they are key points that make them applicable for underdeveloped nations. These are all key topics worthy of review on this thread and Forums. Good Review.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom