Identifying Other bugs in cricket shipment

azrael

Hi everyone,

I just unboxed my latest cricket shipment and found a number of two other types of insects that i cant identify.

I have two questions, 1) what are they? 2) are they safe to be fed to my chams or even be in the same bin.

One insect looks like some sort of catapillar or centipede and the other is a beetle looking thing, almost like a firefly without wings.

Any help?

20151009_144652_zpsdtdwelel.jpg

20151009_144657_zpshqbe6xoe.jpg

Blurry picture but they look like mealworm beetles. I can't see the other well enough to google it.

Blurry picture but they look like mealworm beetles. I can't see the other well enough to google it.

Actually they're not.

They're dermestid beetles and larvae. They eat dead things so they're shipped with crickets to eat the dead ones so it doesn't smell like crap. You can feed them to your animals. Universities/museums, etc use them to clean bones because they eat the flesh off.

Chase

Actually they're not.

They're dermestid beetles and larvae. They eat dead things so they're shipped with crickets to eat the dead ones so it doesn't smell like crap. You can feed them to your animals. Universities/museums, etc use them to clean bones because they eat the flesh off.

Chase

Thanks, I've been wondering what they were as well.

Actually they're not.

Chase

Oh awesome. Thanks, that's good to know.

I wouldn't feed Dermestid larvae- they have irritating hairs which could cause your cham discomfort. My cham likes the beetles just fine, though! :p

It's common. For those to be in there. You can call the crik co. And ask them. There may also be micro small ant looking things that are cleaner bugs. They clean after the crickets. I'm talking micro small all sounds normal to me

I don't beleive the hairs are irritating. These are common on beetle larvae and I could be wrong but I've never heard of them bieng that way like tarantulas or caterpillars are.

Back
Top Bottom