Identify unknown larvae

GrimCamel

Established Member
So I was cleaning away a dead loctus from a dead loctus and found some form of parasite on it. I looked closer into the bin I am keeping the hoppers in and found multiple individuals of this weird looking insect. I am guessing it is a nymph of some kind but what?

DSC_0002.JPG

Weird looking fellas with moving heads and no legs

DSC_0002_1.JPG

Beside it is a common pincette. These fellas are about 5mm long. I want to know if these are considered a pest in common households or to the luctuses

My best guess is it is a Dermestid beetle larva. If that is the case they are good to have in your colony because they are considered cleaners, and will clean up your dead bugs.

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think that's the bug. I've googled pictures and it does not seem to quite match. This creature does not have a distinct head, the only moving part is the thinner one which it seems to be using to move around as I cannot spot any legs in this. I have also been googling among common pests in Sweden but it does not look like anything I can find.
A friend of mine suggests I keep them to see what they turn out to be when they grow up. I am just a little bit worried that they might turn out to be something that can fly haha!

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think that's the bug. I've googled pictures and it does not seem to quite match. This creature does not have a distinct head, the only moving part is the thinner one which it seems to be using to move around as I cannot spot any legs in this. I have also been googling among common pests in Sweden but it does not look like anything I can find.
A friend of mine suggests I keep them to see what they turn out to be when they grow up. I am just a little bit worried that they might turn out to be something that can fly haha!
Let us know what you find out, especially if we are being invaded LOL.

Update: my entomologist friend from the University of Manitoba says they are most likely a larvae of a fly in the genus Fannia- a type of housefly. They are non-invasive and can't cause much harm besides what your regular housefly can do. My bug-guy would like to pass on this additional information:

"They are cool! They can eat cigarette butts, and even get addicted to nicotine! Man, I love flies. So noble."

...Though, to be honest, I'm not sure he meant for me to quote that last part.

Update: my entomologist friend from the University of Manitoba says they are most likely a larvae of a fly in the genus Fannia- a type of housefly. They are non-invasive and can't cause much harm besides what your regular housefly can do. My bug-guy would like to pass on this additional information:

"They are cool! They can eat cigarette butts, and even get addicted to nicotine! Man, I love flies. So noble."

...Though, to be honest, I'm not sure he meant for me to quote that last part.

Thank you so much for the info! I know for sure then its something I do not want to keep alive haha!

Mine does not seem to care for them much but there was this huge beast fly that got into his enclosure a couple of weeks ago. That one became a tasty snack indeed ;)

Interesting bug. I wonder how it got in your grasshopper bin?
MissLissa: Are you still going to eat your socks since we're not 100% sure? (y)

Back
Top Bottom