Identify this spider?

pssh

Avid Member
(S)He's a really cool looking spider. I have a feeling its a jumping spider of some sort, but I took a few pics. (S)he was chilling on the outside of my house and has these really cool looking blue-green mouth parts.

I dont know if it matters, but it can climb glass...

Attachments

• CSC_0187.jpg
    CSC_0187.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 211
  • CSC_0188.JPG
    CSC_0188.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC_0174.jpg
    DSC_0174.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 178
Looks to be Phidippus audax.

59084253.Phidippusaudax.jpg

Daring Jumping Spider, I believe, is its common name.

Kinda sorta.
Well I knew it was a type of jumping spider and the blue/green chelicerae (I think is what they are called..) reminded me of something I had seen before, and then I remembered. :D

By the way, if that pink spot is a spot without the hairs, it looks like he may have flung hairs at you.. but I'm not sure if I remember if jumping spiders are known to do this.... ahh too many different types of arachnids.. *dies*

Nah, it still had the hairs when I let him go. People say that tarantulas do too, but I've never ever seen my Chilean Rose Hair do it... :)

When I had my Grammostola porteri, it never did it either. *shrugs*

Is yours a rosea or a porteri?

I have no idea... She's a petco pet from 8 or so years ago. Is there an obvious way to tell?

I can't recall off the top of my head but it requires looking at their molts after a certain age.. and most of the time you need an experienced person to do it. Mine was a WC from a certain area.. I think. D'oh where are my spider friends when I need them.

I see, well she hasn't molted for a while anyways, so I guess we may never know! Or at least for the time being.

Looks like a nice treat for your cham if you ask me. I have fed quite a few of those off with no ill effects. The little fast boogers are rather fun to watch and even more fun to watch a cham chase one around.

Ugh! (Shudders) If that was running around in my house it would get squished under a shoe pretty quickly! I really don't like spiders! :( I don't think I will ever understand how people can keep spiders as pets and actually hold them! Ugh!

I second Syn. The chelicerae, shape, markings and hair kind of give it away. They are somewhat abundant here. They are voracious predators and house hold friendly.

No, I don't keep spiders as hobby but I do like to know what I share my house with.

Cool beans! Thanks.

Tif: I can't bring myself to hold her... :) I'm too scared of those massive fangs.

Looks like a nice treat for your cham if you ask me. I have fed quite a few of those off with no ill effects. The little fast boogers are rather fun to watch and even more fun to watch a cham chase one around.

really? a cham treat? this is interesting because in the wood pile behind my house there are quite a few of these.... maybe i'll try it. it wont bite the chameleon?

Pssh she won't bite you. Me and my kids catch them all the time and let them crawl and jump on us. Never been bitten by them or any other spiders we catch.

We find the big wolf spiders in my basement and hold them too. Sometimes we throw crickets at them and watch them eat. It's pretty cool. I like them around in the house anyways so they will catch and eat any stray cricket that escapes my reptile cages:) Spiders are cool!

Ahh, I was talking about my tarantula... She scares the crap out of me, but I love her. The jumping spider I wasn't really scared about but I would rather not have touched it before I figured out exactly what it could do.

I've just found this thread and found it facinating... and not to hijack it but..
we found this spider in Sri Lanka on holiday.... very pretty.. and always wondered what it was... am thinking it was a jumping spider of some sort.

Attachments

• 400.JPG
    400.JPG
    215.3 KB · Views: 185
Back
Top Bottom