I think we got the rot

AncientCritters

Established Member
I never had anything medically wrong in with my chams in about 7 years so ive been lucky but I think my luck has ran out. I assume this is mouth rot. Shes a WC ankaramy and I just noticed this yesterday. These pics are from yesterday and today it looks a bit worse. I swabbed her with some diluted betadine. Im gonna take her to the vet on Monday and see what they say. I just know that the vets here arent cham knowledgable. Hopefully this is common enough that they will know what to do. Any advice in the mean time from someone whos had this happen before. Thanks, Robert

PICT3508.jpg

PICT3512.jpg

PICT3511.jpg

Yes that is mouth rot seems pretty advanced. She needs antibiotics as soon as possible I also swab the the mouth out with 50% hydro and 50% water using a Q-tip. I sprinkle powdered antibiotics in the chameleons mouth. But a vet visit is in order.

Get that girl to a herp vet right away! She will be on some antibiotics for a few weeks. In the meantime keep it clean like Dean suggested. Is she eating?
Good pics of the mouth,by the way. Good luck,hope it works out for you.

Thanks guys. She is headed to the vet on Monday for sure. She is eating but not like the fat beast she usually is. I have a look at them at least once a day and a full look over every few days and I didnt notice it until yesterday. For it to be "pretty advanced" how long would it of had to be like that?? Im pretty upset at myself for not noticing it. The first sign of anything wrong was left over silkies in the cage. Lets see what the vet can do.

In the conditions that these chameleons are kept infections occur quickly its hard to say how long shes had it. They say it comes from poor quality feeders (nutritionally deficient) . I have a mitsio who eats nothing but superworms and he got it that's why I treat them as treats now.

The area should be cleaned out, a culture & sensitivity test done and the chameleon put on antibiotics. If its not done properly it will likely return.

Last edited:
I have had her for abut 5 weeks now. Always been a great eater and drinker. She is WC and since she has been with me has had crickets with cricketfood.com gutload every time, dubias and silkies. This last week I got some superworms and she must have had about 10 of those. Maybe she got a pinch by one???

Thats a good looking ankaramy female, without the mouth rot of course. I really like her, where did you purchase her from if you dont mind me asking?

Well I cant see the herp vet until tomorrow. He's not in today. I have been doing my best to keep it clean so lets see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom