I need to know this for future reference

ColorCham427

Avid Member
my younger sister is totally nuts... long story short she has serious anger problems and can be sick in the head. hasn't done anything crazy... yet.. but does make threats.

anyways, lets just say she goes into my chameleon room and kills all my chameleons.... could i get her to do time behind bars, or possibly a dirty state mental hosptial? she's 17... not sure even if a judge will look at reptiles as something to care much about...:mad:

this is a serious question, please don't give me answers like... "she shouldn't be living in ur house etc"

I'd just like to know what could be done to give her the best consequence!

yes she would, i am sure.

we recently got our youngest golden retriever a new home, he has super hyper active crazy like issues, long story short, he is either chained outside making a huge mess, inside of his cage freaking out, or in the kitchen doing everything he can to eat and make a mess.

we have had him for four years, and did not want to find him a home, he is the sweetest dog, just super adhd'd out to the max!!

we were fortunate enough to get in touch with the actual breeder, very nice lady who is only 45 min drive from our home. my mother took Bailey, back to her. she has a huge backyard with ginormous cages, tons of goldens. Bailey basically went back to his birth mother and siblins, a long with others...

i feel so sorry but i know its the BEST THING FOR HIM, now he can run around all the time!

i feel cruddy, i was saving up for a puppy tredmill too!

emily, my sister, is totally insane... she threatened people in my house. and has always threated to kill my chameleons because of a cricket getting loose...

just want to make sure that i could get her behind locked doors for doing somethign horrific such as what she has threatened...

i know i look at chameleons much MUCH more than just some cold blooded creatures!

is she capable of hurting animals? i believe so, her anger problem is insane. like... mental hosptial status...

I think she needs help before it gets to the point of killing things. If she went in and killed your chams, would it really matter where she ended up after the deed was already done. She needs help. Mental illness is not something to joke about.

Reactions: Syn
I think she needs help before it gets to the point of killing things. If she went in and killed your chams, would it really matter where she ended up after the deed was already done. She needs help. Mental illness is not something to joke about.
Good post... +1

Perhaps you should be having a calm discussion with your parents about your fears and your concerns about the mental health of your sister.

I dont know what legal aid options are available in your state. Where I live there is a toll-free number for getting basic legal information and referals. To actually answer your question, you should consult with the legal / policing / regulators of your municipality/city/county/state. Most places do have laws against Distruction of property - though low the value of the chameleons and equipment (monetary value, not emotional value) and her age may result in little penalty.

A lock on the door would at least slow her down, should she get over-distraught enough to do what you are worried about. Presumably your parental units and yourself would attempt to stop, and you can phone for police assistance should she become unmanagable or if she threatens or in fact does cause you harm.

Another option is to move. You are an adult, maybe its time to get your own place.

Last edited:
I can't help with the legal stuff since it's way beyond my knowledge. However, as far as the anger-impulsivity issue, it's a well known fact that teenagers with obvious mental difficulties tend to have these behaviors disappear as they get older. In fact, over 50% of the personality disorders don't last once they become adults (18-25 years old). In conclusion, this difficulty MAY disappear in a few years, or may not...

To me, if you don't mind to call the police about her, maybe you could do it the next time she threatens (sp?) you or your possessions, and try to have a judge not allow her to be closer to you than 100feet or something like that *shrug*.

Sadly, the mental issues in our society aren't being considered as much as they should be, compared to illegal acts or physical issues, so even if what you are thinking is legitimate (or not), it shouldn't get any attention at all by some authorities...

I wish i could help you, but i honestly think that you need legal help...

word, alright thanks all. yeah, im just gunna hit the 5-0 up when things get crazy, which they do sometimes with this one...

Hopefully your fears wont play out, but it appears it's a possibility from what you're saying. One of my ex's had a son that had the same anger issue. I can understand a little bit what you're going through.

If you're looking for information, the Mental Health Association of NJ is a place to go to. There's information and links that may help with some of the questions you may have, including some of the legal ones. I believe it's mhanj.org.

The official state site is the NJ Dept of Human Services - Division of Mental Health Services. There's a lot of information there to go through too. You can find the legal issues and patient rights information at that site.

Good luck. I hope everything works out for all of you.

Would she go so far as to knocking down doors? If not, just get a good lock..

Yeah, I agree. Get a couple locks and make sure she can't even get in the room. Even if she is family living under the same house you can get destruction of property charges brought down upon her. You just need the proof. If you are the only one with the key and she breaks down the door or lock and your chameleon are dead after numerous threat this can result in criminal charges. It really depends on how far you want to take it.

Keep in mind court hearings and sht like this can be a pain in the arse and more than it's worth. Most likely, if successful, she will just have a misdemeanor and a fine.

Also, I don't know anything about animal cruelty laws. Thats could be possible criminal act. It's really all about proving it. If these exchanges of threats are just between you and her than its your word against her.

On a side note, I'm in the pharmaceutical business and could probably recommend some meds to keep her insanity to a minimum, but I have feeling it's just sibling being siblings and empty threats. Any other symptoms you can describe? Maybe a good therapist is in order in extreme cases.

Has she ever killed anything? 17 year old girls are often hormonally insane. When my she-satan child was 17 I could not stand her, and she would threat and rage, but never actually hurt or killed anything. I hate to tell you-but I booted her ass out at 18, unfortunatley some relatives got to deal with it too, but now she is a completely normal, functional human being at 21.

Julirs could be right, is it possible she's one of those girls severely affected by her hormones? If she is normal 3 weeks out of 4 then that might be the case. For anyone that doesn't know, during adolescence a girl's brain is forming all sorts of new connections. During her period those connections are destroyed (a little bit like, one step forward and two back) and that is what causes girls to go off the deep end sometimes. It's not their fault, it is literally their brain breaking down to rebuild again a week later.

However, if that is the case (that or a more serious imballance) then she should be going for medication anyway. If it's hormones, there is nothing like the birth control pill to settle her hormones and make them stable. If it's something else then a doctor will know what to perscribe. But no one likes being unstable and going into fits of rage, it's something I would really look into for her.

As for the chams, see if you can lock them away. Even if you need to put two or three locks on the door, but it's better to prevent the chams from being injured than fighting for justice later. Many animal abuse sentences are pathetic. The slow neglect and starvation of one dog may only get you a fine and 2 months in jail, if any time at all. The Miami serial cat killer is only getting 6 months per cat tortured and killed, and that's only probably because of the media attention on the case. They couldn't afford to be soft with him.

Install maybe two or three dead bolt locks, it may sound like over kill, but the longer it takes her to get into the room the more time you have to stop her. I don't really know what else you could do besides move out or just install 50 locks onto your door.

wish I could move out, not enough money! I think I'm just going to go against what my parents think, and I will actually call the cops.

I'm the one who would get screwed if I drop her.

And I highly doubt killing reptiles is much of a crime as it would be in our world if we could rearrange the punishments of animal cruelty.

I've known so many girls in their late teens, and unfortunately this is a rare case. She is crazy, I believe she has border line personality disorder, but who knows, she hasn't been evalutated... yet...

She'll be away at a 4 yr school soon! She's EXTREMELY book smart.

Back
Top Bottom