I need some plant tips

Hey guys, so I'm not really known for having a green thumb, more of a black thumb unfortuantely. Do you guys have any tips for how to keep your plants alive in your enclosure? I have plant light and I water every time the soil is dry, but a lot of them aren't doing well. Any tips?

What lights are you using ? how many watts of what type. Not all those like to dry out, and will prefer a slightly damp soil. They should be watered on a schedule like twice a week even if soil doesn't look dry. On my site www.caskabove.com We have some plant care basics, and individual care of many plants.

I have several plant lights! two t5, I believe in the 6500k range that run across the top and have reflector so that the light penetrates deeply into the cage. On one of the cages I have though, I use a LED plant light, with red light, that I bought from Lowes https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-1-in-1-Light-White-40-Watt-Single-LED-Grow-Light/1001222420 and it's been working great for my hibiscus especially. Here is the 48" one I bought from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L6GUSHG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My ficus literally has to be trimmed every two weeks.

Hey guys, so I'm not really known for having a green thumb, more of a black thumb unfortuantely. Do you guys have any tips for how to keep your plants alive in your enclosure? I have plant light and I water every time the soil is dry, but a lot of them aren't doing well. Any tips?
I think something often overlooked is that we must become as familiar with individual plant care as we must with individual chameleon species care.

In addition to different watering & lighting requirements (than each other), plants may also have different feeding requirements. Because chameleon enclosures are so tall, plant lights must be able to reach down into the bottom, and plants must be placed at heights/locations where they can get the amount of light they need. Watering should be balanced with misting so plants aren't getting too much or too little water; if they're getting too much and need to dry out between waterings, it may be necessary to cover pots with a water shield.

I have some of the same species as you, and my plants are doing really well—maybe too well in a couple of cases! :oops:

This is what I do... I have pothos, dracaena.
I water dishes that catch the water in the enclosure so that it doesn't go right through the plant. The plant soaks the water up through its roots. Since I started doing this, I have noticed a significant change in my pothos plants' health. The dracaena just needs light now. I am also going to be using the sansai 70W grow light.

Back
Top Bottom