I need help now!!! Wtf is this???

Interesting.

I have had crested geckos brought to me from clients that had discoloration and skin irritation after consuming butter worms. We found no other cause than the butter worms being ruptured before being fully consumed , and with most of the cases I saw with this in, the crested geckos never fully recovered to the skins original state.

As previously mentioned, gecko skin is definitely different from chameleon skin, and I find it odd how the color change appears in your photos.

From the way it has caused the skin to discolor, I would have to agree that something has happened internally. I am not sure about a bite, but a mild irritation from exposing the internal fluids (or perhaps a specific internal fluid) from the butter worms might be the cause. I would not use them personally.

Thanks for sharing, keep us posted with a follow up.

I wonder if it could be an allergic reaction? There's no reason to think that reptiles are immune from allergies.

That would explain why some animals experience and others do not.

Bring wool near me and I will start to have respiratory problems...but most humans can wear wool without a problem. Wax worms might be the "wool" of the chameleon world.

movember1.jpg

Ok now that that can never be unseen.......srsly though I have had this happen in a few of my chams when I had to force feed them. It only ever happened with superworms, and when it was messy.

As long as there is no swelling, I feel there is no significant problem.

Their chromatophores are very advanced yet very delicate. Any scratching, rubbing, bruising, excess temperature, or physical pressure at all can cause this sort of reaction.

I would not discount allergies either, panther chams are being produced in enough numbers that issues like allergies are bound to show up eventually just like with dogs & cats that are allergic to things.

Usually it takes a good 2-3 weeks to fully clear up.

Looks very similar to the bruise my Jackson's had after being poked with a needle. It was about the same size, too. It took about 3 weeks to completely disappear; no inflammation, just the black discoloring, but I was as worried as you!

Hope all clears up soon!

My Stanley had something similar several months ago. I thought it was dirt but couldn't get it to rub off, and it seemed like an odd place for a bruise... Eventually it went away..
ezy3u3y7.jpg

I've never had issues feeding butterworms? They are a house favorite with everyone, and the week or two a tub lasts me everyone eats several with gusto and no ill-effects. And I've had something like a dozen chameleons by now.

But I agree it looks like a bruise. Like when a chameleon goes in for an injection, they get a big black spot like that for a few days but it does go away before you know it.

Thank you for all the replys guys..it really helps when I was wanting to panic:eek: He's looking better already and it's starting to go away. He's still acting like himself and active. He was so happy to be out of his cage today I let him sleep in his free range lol:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom