I moved my Cham into a bigger cage!

Nylah712

So on Sunday I moved him from a medium reptibreeze to a large dragon stand keeper cage. He was fine until Monday and that’s when I noticed he was handing out in the bottom branches. He fell once off a branch so I don’t know what to do? I’m leaving on vacation soon and I thought I might just put him back in his old cage till I get back. These are some pics of him...

Attachments

• 33C6DB1E-BA75-4294-BEE8-BC6BE6B7C61A.jpeg
    33C6DB1E-BA75-4294-BEE8-BC6BE6B7C61A.jpeg
    336.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 958CD8BC-6640-471D-8210-0F4075893C60.jpeg
    958CD8BC-6640-471D-8210-0F4075893C60.jpeg
    412.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 2C9498F5-D8F1-4B5A-9B0B-5E247DDDE411.jpeg
    2C9498F5-D8F1-4B5A-9B0B-5E247DDDE411.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 124
the Cage was a used cage that I washed but it might still have some things from it’s previous owner. Do you think that might be effecting him?

I mean, a used cage should always be properly sterilized, but nothing in it would cause problems that soon. If your cham is falling there is something wrong. Your husbandry might need some adjusting, can you fill out the help form stickied at the top that says "how to ask for help" in the health clinic section.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 7month old male Ambanja panther chameleon. Had him since January
  • Handling - Every other day
  • Feeding -I feed him 10 crickets daily and I gut load them with repashy bug burger
  • Supplements - I dust the crickets with Repashy calcium plus
  • Watering - I have a mist king and it mists him several times a day for 2minutes and I do see him drink
  • Fecal Description - Dark brown with white at the end

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage and it is a large keeper cage from dragon strand
  • Lighting - Basking light: Exo Terra 60watt bulb and UVB: Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 UVB Fluorescent Bulb
  • Temperature - Basking is at 85-75 and ambient is 70-64 I have a temp gun
  • humidity- 60-70% and I have a humidifier
  • Plants - Live ficus tree
  • Placement - The cage is located in the living room and has a little bit of traffic but he is also housed near dogs
  • Location - Southern California

Current Problem - He has been hanging out in the middle of the cage often and he might be stressed out because of the dogs and the new surroundings.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 7month old male Ambanja panther chameleon. Had him since January
  • Handling - Every other day
  • Feeding -I feed him 10 crickets daily and I gut load them with repashy bug burger
  • Supplements - I dust the crickets with Repashy calcium plus
  • Watering - I have a mist king and it mists him several times a day for 2minutes and I do see him drink
  • Fecal Description - Dark brown with white at the end

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage and it is a large keeper cage from dragon strand
  • Lighting - Basking light: Exo Terra 60watt bulb and UVB: Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 UVB Fluorescent Bulb
  • Temperature - Basking is at 85-75 and ambient is 70-64 I have a temp gun
  • humidity- 60-70% and I have a humidifier
  • Plants - Live ficus tree
  • Placement - The cage is located in the living room and has a little bit of traffic but he is also housed near dogs
  • Location - Southern California

Current Problem - He has been hanging out in the middle of the cage often and he might be stressed out because of the dogs and the new surroundings.
I'd try to vary the diet a bit and also use some fresh gutload as well.
When are you running the humidifier? Is this in his cage or piped into it? These generally run for a few hours during the night when temps are low. Hot, wet air can cause RI's.
How does he look to react to the dogs? If he shows signs of stress when they are around, you likely need to re think placement.

I have been using it everyday since it’s an all in one supplement the breeder I got him from said they used it everyday and had no problem. I tried giving a variety of feeders but he doesn’t seem to want to eat from it. I run the humidifier sometimes during the night when his humidity drops. And the humidifier is on the outside of the cage. As for gut load I give the crickets carrots if that counts as fresh.

I just care home and he was sitting under the UVB light at the top of the cage. I am going to move his cage into a quieter area for now until I have a better area for him

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 74
So I would get a calcium without D3 for the other feedings and supplement with the one that has the D3 2 times per month so every other week. I don't specifically use these products. But I am attaching a graphic below.
I would give him some time to adjust as well. Since you just moved him it is overwhelming already. Where ever he does end up you do want to make sure he is getting 12 hours with lights on and 12 hour total darkness.
Due to his age you will want to start curbing his feeders back every other day to get him on an every other day feeding schedule.
No, carrots are not a good gutload. See pic below. You really need not only a variety but to switch up what you use each week. Or use something like repashy bug burger or cricket crack.

See this care sheet for additional info. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/
Supplements pic.jpeg
Gutloading 101.jpeg
Basic Feeder pic.jpeg

Do you think I should keep him where he is now? Which is in the living room and the cage is on the floor or like I was doing was to move him back into a smaller cage inside a quieter room where he was originally

Do you think I should keep him where he is now? Which is in the living room and the cage is on the floor or like I was doing was to move him back into a smaller cage inside a quieter room where he was originally
What other pets do you have in the house. If the cage is on the floor this is not helping. It needs to be up on a table, cabinet, stand. Something to get it higher. They prefer and find safety in higher ground. How long are you going to be on vacation? Who is taking care of him?
Is it possible to just put the new cage in the quieter room where he was?

I do have a cat but he doesn’t seem to mind her when he was in his smaller cage which was in a bedroom. I have a table/cabinet for the cage to sit on for the smaller cage. I will be on vacation for a week, my brother will be taking care of him for the time being and I will leave instructions for him so he doesn’t mess everything up! I moved him into his original cage in my bedroom so that there is little to no foot traffic.

I do have a cat but he doesn’t seem to mind her when he was in his smaller cage which was in a bedroom. I have a table/cabinet for the cage to sit on for the smaller cage. I will be on vacation for a week, my brother will be taking care of him for the time being and I will leave instructions for him so he doesn’t mess everything up! I moved him into his original cage in my bedroom so that there is little to no foot traffic.
Well I think that is probably the best for now while you are out of town. Once you get back you can make the changes. Maybe have the new cage in your room where there is less traffic. I would recommend the cage be up on a table though. The cat is a predator to the Cham. That is the only way the cham will view him. And since cats can shock us out of nowhere I would not trust the cham cage on the floor. Even if the cham is acting like he is not effected it will stress him.

I put him about 3-4 feet off the ground (on a cabinet )so i think he will be okay for now. Thank you for your input!

Back
Top Bottom