I have been wavering....

Andee

Chameleon Enthusiast
The thing is I am so against breeding chameleons, but also so want to. It's hard to choose between my passion and love for the species, and just what I think is right. Does anyone have pros to breeding chameleons?

That's nothing I worry about. Cost is not a worry. They will see vets I have money to spend on them. I will have space once I start breeding. It's just... I don't see any pros in it

Like what good would come of me bringing more chameleons into the pet trade?

Unless it is a rare species, one that is difficult to obtain or breed, there aren’t any real pro’s. You won’t make much money, the initial cost is staggering, you will have to part with those cute babies eventually, and where are they all going? How many posts are about chameleons dying due to poor husbandry? I don’t like the idea of contributing to that. You will get self satisfaction, you will learn a ton in the process, but beyond that, I just don’t see the bright side. I guess if you successfully breed a rare species, and sell to a zoo, or better yet, another experienced breeder, you could be relieving some pressure on wild populations.

Yeah that's what I feel. @Goose502 I actually wouldn't have an issue selling the babies. I get attached to all the animals I raise and sell even if they are just inverts. But I have a reason for doing it. But even getting a good breeder baby I just feel chams aren't meant to be kept in captivity. I had Ryker from amazing breeders. Kammers, and I followed the advice of people on here when I got worried, I researched for 8 months plus before even buying supplies. He still went blind at 3 years old for reasons no one agreed with until I made my massive thread documenting it all.

Yeah that's what I feel. @Goose502 I actually wouldn't have an issue selling the babies. I get attached to all the animals I raise and sell even if they are just inverts. But I have a reason for doing it. But even getting a good breeder baby I just feel chams aren't meant to be kept in captivity. I had Ryker from amazing breeders. Kammers, and I followed the advice of people on here when I got worried, I researched for 8 months plus before even buying supplies. He still went blind at 3 years old for reasons no one agreed with until I made my massive thread documenting it all.
Can you link me? I'd like to read that thread.

I’m the same way ... I’d get attached real easy. My Singapura had 3 kittens. I sold the only female to a nice couple from Oklahoma the man flu in to Detroit to pick her up . I live in Ohio. Now the other two males kittens I kept. Now that’s a total 4 Sings I have . The point is 2 from a litter... verses and how many eggs laid in a clutch? I rest my case LOL

Back
Top Bottom