I have a question.

Shaboo10

I got my chameleon 4 days ago, and I was wonder if I could pick him up yet?? I've been petting him with a glove on because I don't want to be bitten, so is it okay for me to pick him up now??

Chameleons don't like to be 'petted' or stroked. You should let them climb onto you rather than grab them and 'pick them up'. Generally, chams don't like to be handled too much. I have two - Tommy loves to come out and sit on my shoulder whereas Amy is really not comfortable with being out although she does settle if she can't see her cage.

Chameleons don't like to be 'petted' or stroked. You should let them climb onto you rather than grab them and 'pick them up'. Generally, chams don't like to be handled too much. I have two - Tommy loves to come out and sit on my shoulder whereas Amy is really not comfortable with being out although she does settle if she can't see her cage.

Okay, and when I stick my hand out for him to climb on he stares at me for awhile then puts a paw on my hand, then walks away.

Okay, and when I stick my hand out for him to climb on he stares at me for awhile then puts a paw on my hand, then walks away.

That's a start though! Chams are easily bribed with food. Try hand feeding him to start with. Once he's used to taking food from you, you can then move the food gradually further away from him so he has to climb onto you to get it. You have to be prepared to stand there for long periods to gain their trust as they may not take food from you to start with!

That's a start though! Chams are easily bribed with food. Try hand feeding him to start with. Once he's used to taking food from you, you can then move the food gradually further away from him so he has to climb onto you to get it. You have to be prepared to stand there for long periods to gain their trust as they may not take food from you to start with!
Okay thank you :3 when i first got him the heat bulb it wasn't strong enough, so i got another one that was stronger, and he came closer to me, so yeah. :)

Also when he puts a little foot on your hand try to very gently & slowly lift your hand and lots of times they will then walk onto your hand, or he might take off.

Back
Top Bottom