I found these eggs

2 of the agamas have made it through the night, but they are in serious condition. They are alert but have difficulty moving, their weight is good as well so they can hopefully go a few days without eating.

2 out of 8 total what a loss.

Still I suppose I should be grateful that 2 will possibly recover.i

I like to consider myself a competent reptile keeper, but circumstances seem to be trying to disprove that notion.
Personally I do not think you could control an invasion of fire ants. This has nothing to do with your or your competency as a reptile keeper. I hope you don't let this situation impact how you see yourself. Things happen. Sometimes horrible things. We learn from them and we make changes to try to ensure it does not happen again.

Many ants have met their end today as promised.

The one agama is still hanging in there, I managed to rescue another agama that fell into a flower pot, so at least he has a companion, as agamas are sociable reptiles, towards each other.

Unexpected update, I found another survivor of had apparently jumped into a large pot I had next to the cage and escaped the notice from the ants. Turns out these guys really suck at climbing smooth surfaces that anoles handle with ease.

He's a bit battered but active, so my total is now 2 agamas out of 5 that survived the ants and one agama rescued from another flower pot for a total of three. The minimal number in my opinion for a social group.

Pictures tomorrow.

What an emotional roller coaster this has been.

My shell shocked survivors.
1031201242a~2.jpg
1031201238a~2.jpg

The longest one was saved from drowning, the other two are the fire ant siblings.

Last edited:
Probably a bad use of money, but I paid a local petsore owner to go out and catch me some agamas.

I desperately needed to rebuild my group. A bonus is I have unrelated blood now, so mating won't be an issue now.

All I need to do is keep the "fire nation" away for a few more days.
1103201602a~2.jpg
1103201601a.jpg

I have 4 total, and I want to keep it that way.

Last edited:
Well my move was a shit show, I lost two of the agamas during the move.

The originals are doing ok, but given the nature of the delays ive had to set up less than ideal caging to keep them alive.

My main lighting system is lost in the mail somewhere.

They will have to share with some curly tails that I caught, but since they are similar size im hoping they won't fight, especially since I find them together in the wild as well....

By the way those bearded dragon kits suck, just an FYI, id never use anything but the tank, hide and heat bulbs from them.

1117201910d~2.jpg
1117201745a.jpg
1117201619.jpg

This set up is temporary until I can get them stabilized, then I will fix it once the proper substrate and lights arrive. Then they can get their plants and such.

I guess the only good thing is they are all eating, and I've seen them drink from puddles in the wild so I'm sure they will figure out the water dish in time.

I can't seem to shake my streak of bad luck. :/

Please continue to bear with me, I do actually know how to properly care for these animals but im just getting nailed with crap beyond my control. :(

Last edited:
Well let's have some uplifting news, I guess i will introduce the curly tail crew,(3 total) I caught them in several parking lots, they seem to love that "habitat"

They are settling in very well despite their negative experience with people.

Fun fact, many Floridians actually buy bugs to feed the wild ones.

1117202143a~2.jpg

I presume this guy is a male, he's a big chonker(I caught him in that state) Very cocky.

1118201935a~2.jpg

I'm unsure of the gender on this one, these guys dont have femoral pores so sexing is trickier, females tend to be smaller and slimmer.(Agama photobomb)
1118201937a.jpg

Mr/MS sleepy head. It likes this hide, despite another hide directly under the basking lamp.

And the following picture(s) shoes why they are called curly tails, funny thing is when they trip on something they REALLY curl that tail, as if to say they meant to do that.
1118201259a~2.jpg

1118201956b~2.jpg

(Again a proper setup is on the way for them all, but they have to rough it for a few more days)

Well let's have some uplifting news, I guess i will introduce the curly tail crew,(3 total) I caught them in several parking lots, they seem to love that "habitat"

They are settling in very well despite their negative experience with people.

Fun fact, many Floridians actually buy bugs to feed the wild ones.

View attachment 282839
I presume this guy is a male, he's a big chonker(I caught him in that state) Very cocky.

View attachment 282840
I'm unsure of the gender on this one, these guys dont have femoral pores so sexing is trickier, females tend to be smaller and slimmer.(Agama photobomb)View attachment 282841
Mr/MS sleepy head. It likes this hide, despite another hide directly under the basking lamp.

And the following picture(s) shoes why they are called curly tails, funny thing is when they trip on something they REALLY curl that tail, as if to say they meant to do that.
View attachment 282842
View attachment 282848
(Again a proper setup is on the way for them all, but they have to rough it for a few more days)
There are so MANY crickets on the side of that rock in photo 2! I'm glad things are starting to look up! Hope they stay that way! Good luck!

There are so MANY crickets on the side of that rock in photo 2! I'm glad things are starting to look up! Hope they stay that way! Good luck!

Cricket gang represent.
1120201425c.jpg
1120201425d.jpg

I've since moved the rock a few inches away from the glass, the numbers dropped immediately :D

The curly tails are all regularly drinking from the water dish.

I haven't seen the agamas do so but they are eating and appear healthy. I mist the back of the enclosure as well, dirt should arrive tomorrow, hopefully. I think a well planted enclosure will settle the agamas down.

Back
Top Bottom