I’m so frustrated with the mist king!

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
It’s 3 in the morning and the mist king has sprung a leak in the top of the enclosure as well as I’ve found water underneath the container that the water sits in! I have no idea where that came from and the carpet in front of the enclosure feels damp so I suspect the mist is not staying inside the enclosure! I’m so frustrated with it. I put it together correctly, I know I did. It was supposed to go off again at 3 am and it’s past 3 now and it never went off. I don’t know what is wrong. Oh well, I had to vent. I’ll fix it in the morning.

Yep, those thing sure can be a handful. And I thought only I had problems with the mist king. It will drive you insane at times. Hope you figure it out. I'm not much help there. Sorry.

You're gonna get mist out the front of the enclosure, Mist king or any other brand.
The mist cools the air and causes a downdraft. Like a thunderstorm, only on a much smaller scale. You could try putting a small throw rug in front of the cage, or a small fan blowing over the area to help it dry up faster. Or both.
If the tubing is cut straight, and fully pushed in, it is almost unheard of for the fittings to leak. Not saying it is impossible. I have had one bad fitting in the hundreds I have used over the years. But in the rare instance I have had a problem, only once was it due to the fitting. All other times it was because of installation error.
As long as you used the tubing cutter supplied with the mist king and not a pair of scissors, and made square cuts, my guess is the is not fully pushed into the fitting. Sometimes it is difficult to get the tubing properly seated, depending on the space you have to work in. The tubing should go into the fitting a good quarter inch.
Once you have it leak free, it should remain that way for, well, forever, unless you disconnect the tubing for some reason.
I have three separate mist kings currently set up, and no leaks.
I couldn't imagine going back to a time when I kept a cham without one. They really do simplify your life, and improve your cham's life.

As long as you used the tubing cutter supplied with the mist king and not a pair of scissors, and made square cuts, my guess is the is not fully pushed into the fitting.
I agree except that they don't supply tubing cutters (anymore?)—at least not with Starter Systems.
Good square cuts can still be made with either a utility knife or Exacto-style hobby knife/scalpel. I found it easier and cleaner to slice than chop.

Vibration is a possible cause of a leak at a fitting; this is where anchoring the tubing down with the supplied anchors can help.
1626796409588.png
Anchoring down the pump can also help with vibration.

Lindasjackson, check your bulkhead connections to the reservoir, and examine both buckets (supply & drain) for small cracks.

A small amount of spray does escape my enclosure, most of which is caught by/in the screen.
Careful aiming and regular monitoring of aim minimize this. (Closing the doors—bumping the mist heads—and my cham climbing on the mist heads periodically disrupt the aim.)

Hope this may help.

Last edited:
If your water level gets too low, you’ll need to ‘bleed’ the pump (or whatever you call it). Disconnect the line that goes from the pump to the spray head and run it for a second. Make sure to have something to collect the water that will come out. Then turn it off, reconnect the tubing and it should work again.
I‘ve been pretty lucky with my Mist King with no leaks…until my dog and then a kitten chewed the tubing. I just set up a second one and am having bulkhead issues now.

Yeah sometimes my nozzels leak probably due to vibration lossesens the fitting you could put plumbing tape round all your fittings

Thanks for all your help everyone. I’m going to tackle it today and see what I can do. The starter sets dont come with the tubing cutter nor the tubing anchors so I’m just going to have to wing it some how but I’ll figure it out.

Ok, I found the anchors. I didn’t know what they were but I kept everything that came with it just in case. I did not get the white thing and I don’t know what that is. I wish that mist king came with a parts list with Pictures and each item named so people like me could figure out what they are for. That would help immensely!! I did work on it again and evidently the vibration from the pump had loosened the bulk head on top of my screened enclosure and it was big time leaking As well as I didn’t have the tubing fully clicked into the bulkhead either So that is where all the water was coming from. I also added a piece of plastic that I cut off the shower curtains around my enclosure and laid that in front of the enclosure on the carpet to protect it. I ran the mist king a couple times so I could see if all systems were go and I’m so happy it’s all fine now! Thanks for everyone’s help! I truly appreciate everyone’s help!

Ok, I found the anchors. I didn’t know what they were but I kept everything that came with it just in case. I did not get the white thing and I don’t know what that is.
It's a filter to keep debris, etc. out of the pump & system, but my Missus has another name for it. :rolleyes:

I wish that mist king came with a parts list with Pictures and each item named so people like me could figure out what they are for. That would help immensely!!
I couldn't agree more. This is why (I suspect) there are so many videos on these systems.

I did work on it again and evidently the vibration from the pump had loosened the bulk head on top of my screened enclosure and it was big time leaking As well as I didn’t have the tubing fully clicked into the bulkhead either So that is where all the water was coming from. I also added a piece of plastic that I cut off the shower curtains around my enclosure and laid that in front of the enclosure on the carpet to protect it. I ran the mist king a couple times so I could see if all systems were go and I’m so happy it’s all fine now! Thanks for everyone’s help! I truly appreciate everyone’s help!
So glad you found the problems and were able to fix them! 😀
I figured you could/would once the panic & frustration subsided. Have a treat for dinner!

Also make sure you push the tubing all the way into the nozzles until you hear/feel a click. This is the tube locking into the nozzle.

Thank you both! Yes I did push the tubing all the way in. It’s hard when it’s the middle of the night and water is going everywhere and you know it’s going to go off again in another couple hours and you can’t turn the lights on to fix it because you’ll disrupt your chams sleep and you can’t see or feel exactly what’s wrong because you can’t climb on a chair to look! Oh well, it’s fixed now by Gods grace! I couldn’t do it alone, He helped me. :)

Back
Top Bottom