Hydrangea Tree Question

Jevin

Chameleon Enthusiast
So while doing some searching for native Madagascar plants and trying to find a tree that I could put into Chandler's new cage, I came across the pink ball tree, more commonly known as a hydrangea tree. It's a very pretty plant and I would assume that since it's from Madagascar, it should be fine to use in his new enclosure, but I want to make sure just in case. So is a Hydrangea Tree chameleon safe?

"The University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture Research and Extension gives ratings to toxic plants. All species of hydrangea are rated as having a toxicity level of 1, which means that there is the possibility of minor or serious complications depending on the level of consumption. Three types of hydrangeas -- Oakleaf, Panicle and Bigleaf -- are rated at level 3, which means that the vast majority of the time, the only symptoms that occur as a result of consumption or skin contact are moderate stomach pains or skin irritation. "

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/hydrangea-dangers-67309.html

all I could really find

So pretty much sounds like it's similar to a pothos possibly, I couldn't find anything saying it was bad for Cham's, hence why I'm asking.

Yeah I get you -- I would feel comfortable using it. My animals don't eat plans and so if it's not a bad external irritant I would feel okay. Especially if it's native to your chams region/local.

"The University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture Research and Extension gives ratings to toxic plants. All species of hydrangea are rated as having a toxicity level of 1, which means that there is the possibility of minor or serious complications depending on the level of consumption. Three types of hydrangeas -- Oakleaf, Panicle and Bigleaf -- are rated at level 3, which means that the vast majority of the time, the only symptoms that occur as a result of consumption or skin contact are moderate stomach pains or skin irritation. "

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/hydrangea-dangers-67309.html

all I could really find

Also, that's for regular hydrangeas, different species than what I'm looking at. Scientific name is Dombeya wallichii, not a Hydrangea sp.

This is what it looks like:
Lisbon,_Jardim_Botânico_da_Ajuda,_Dombeya_wallichii-2.JPG.jpg

If I was a chameleon, that would be like heaven to me lol.

Bonus: flowers are a really good attractor for pollinators

Also, that's for regular hydrangeas, different species than what I'm looking at. Scientific name is Dombeya wallichii, not a Hydrangea sp.

It said all species of hydrangea... just trying to help. Also I'd still feel comfortable using it.

It said all species of hydrangea... just trying to help. Also I'd still feel comfortable using it.
I know, and I appreciate it, but as I know in the plant world, common name and scientific names are different. This tree is called a hydrangea tree as it's flowers are similar in appearance to the hydrangea plant family, although genetically they are unrelated.

I know, and I appreciate it, but as I know in the plant world, common name and scientific names are different. This tree is called a hydrangea tree as it's flowers are similar in appearance to the hydrangea plant family, although genetically they are unrelated.

I get you, I'm just searching what was posted. I'd still use the tree.

I can't find anything on it being harmful and it looks pretty good for a cham, is pretty itself and it's native to Madagascar, like Panther chameleons. I'm curious if it would be safe to use for a veiled cham as well.

Also wondering if it's cham safe as it is a fast growing tree that grows well in containers and provides pretty dense foliage from the looks of it, so if it is indeed safe, could be useful for veiled owners.

Back
Top Bottom