Hurt claw

elizaann2

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello chamily,

I just went to check on Bilbo and notice it seemed he hurt his claw. It is bleeding. See pics attached. Should I take him to the vet right away? Do I observe him? How do I clean this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0717.jpeg
    IMG_0717.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0716.jpeg
    IMG_0716.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8368.jpeg
    IMG_8368.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8365.jpeg
    IMG_8365.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 33
Yikes! Poor guy. Since I doubt you have any saline handy, you could use just plain tap water. Not sure what you’ll be getting off as it looks that a scab has formed and you don’t want to disturb it. If you have any silver sulfadiazine cream, you could put a small dab of that on the area. If you don’t have that, plain neosporin (without the pain relief) will work. Apply daily and as needed. Keep an eye for needing a vet like excessive swelling, not using that foot, etc. Try to find what he did that on and correct if able.

Yikes! Poor guy. Since I doubt you have any saline handy, you could use just plain tap water. Not sure what you’ll be getting off as it looks that a scab has formed and you don’t want to disturb it. If you have any silver sulfadiazine cream, you could put a small dab of that on the area. If you don’t have that, plain neosporin (without the pain relief) will work. Apply daily and as needed. Keep an eye for needing a vet like excessive swelling, not using that foot, etc. Try to find what he did that on and correct if able.
I know I’m so sad for his little foot. I’m going to get all of those things at the store tonight so I can do whatever he needs. My poor baby 😞😞😞

Ouch that looks pretty nasty and could be both claws. I too would be worried about disturbing a scab with that amount of blood... Personally I would be going to the vet in case he starts actively bleeding. @JacksJill what do you think?

Just got off the phone with my vet who, unfortunately for my wallet, knows me very well. She said to keep monitoring him, watch for pain, favoring his foot, swelling and discharge and if any of that comes up to call her back and she will squeeze him in.

I think it looks a little better now than it’s seem to have dried. I’ll keep a super close eye on it and get the things @MissSkittles suggested in case I need to use them at any time.
Silver sulfadiazine is by prescription only. Neosporin or manuka honey for wound care are both great, although the manuka honey is a bit runny.

Got the Neosporin and put it on the wound. I’ll do more in the morning once he wakes up. Where do I find Manuka honey?

I am worried about him reopening the wound climbing on the screen. Should I have in a hospital type bin or something while it heals?

Unless you notice him.falling, i wouldnt change cage as it will cause him.more stress. btw you can make saline by adding a little salt. Make just you dont grab him off a branch because holding onto it while you are taking him off can reopen that wound. Put your hand under his belly and let him reposition his feet onto your hand if he wont climb onto you. also if you have any macrame or woven hammocks, cord, this can the culprit ss their nails commonly get stuck in the cordage. And they panick trying to free themselves causing nails to be pulled out. Also rub your hands over everything in the cage to see what could cause injury if he clamped down on it.

Unless you notice him.falling, i wouldnt change cage as it will cause him.more stress. btw you can make saline by adding a little salt. Make just you dont grab him off a branch because holding onto it while you are taking him off can reopen that wound. Put your hand under his belly and let him reposition his feet onto your hand if he wont climb onto you. also if you have any macrame or woven hammocks, cord, this can the culprit ss their nails commonly get stuck in the cordage. And they panick trying to free themselves causing nails to be pulled out. Also rub your hands over everything in the cage to see what could cause injury if he clamped down on it.
Thank you will do. I don’t have any hammocks or anything that would be an obvious culprit. I am thinking it’s from him climbing his screen. He still goes to the top occasionally and he did this yesterday. Either that or he got his little toe stuck on a zip tie? Some of them have a little space between them and the branch.

Got some fresh photos this morning. Ugh his poor toe.

I should add I think it looks worse from the neosporin being fooled on it. I did the best I could to apply it but he wasn’t having it.

Attachments

• IMG_8386.jpeg
    IMG_8386.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8378.jpeg
    IMG_8378.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 25
Got some fresh photos this morning. Ugh his poor toe.

I should add I think it looks worse from the neosporin being fooled on it. I did the best I could to apply it but he wasn’t having it.
Just really watch it. I can not tell if it is black from blood or if that toe is going black.

Back
Top Bottom