Humidity Help!

pwbedford

Looking for help and hints on how to keep the humidity up in my cage. I mist 4 to 5 times a day and the humidty goes up to 50 to 70%. But alot of times it drops down to 30%. I have three live plants in the cage thinking it would help, but it hasnt. I cant afford a misting system or fogger so any help would be great. Thank you.

Some if you have a all screen cage using like a shower curtain material or hand towels and putting them on the sides of the cage will help keep the humidty up.

Depending no the size of your cage, but I use kitchen flourescent light covers... The plastic white covers. You use them to cover a couple sides of the cage. They have them perfect for the 2x2x48 cages but if yours is smaller you cane scratch with a razor blade and snap at the measurement you need. This helped me a lot with keeping the humidity up in my cages.

I use velcro tape to attach... works great.

First your room's (or ambient) humidity is probably low due to you running your AC at this time of year....
As a result, it will be quite hard to get the humidity in the cage far higher.

To combat this you can buy a cool mist room humidifier to raise the ambient humidity a little.
Next, try to cover the sides and back of the cage with terry cloth towels and mist them from the inside of the cage to get the screen and towels wet.
This will get the humidity a lot higher then just plain misting the plants.
Once you see the screen is wet then move on and spray a different spot and you will get the humidity a lot higher.

Also when misting, do it for at least 5 mins each time. More is better.

Now, ill bet your new readings will be closer to 80% or 90% after you are done.

Harry

I bought a walgreens brand cool mist humidifier for 15$ It alone keeps my enclosures at 50%. I also have three plants in each of my cages.

Hmm. I wonder why. My humidifier isn't an ultrasonic that piezo effects the water into a vapor or a steam driven one. Mine is the fan based one that kinda whisks it into the air. I think they all get the job done. The heated kind can raise temps initially and the non heated can lower temps. I DEFINITELY would not use a humidifier as a sole means of hydration because thats not what its for. Too much humidity can cause eye and respiratory problems and mold issues but all that can be monitored with timing and heating an lighting. Plus a good hygrometer.

Kay well like I bolded I was just told that :p
I forget where but they said something about warm mist is better :confused:
I was asking about it to some one when fuego was really sick with her URI

Thanks for clearing that up harry :p

A cool mist one just helps prevent mold growth in your house a little better then the warm ones.
Any humidifier should be used wisely no matter what kind.

They all work well at what they do. Trying to save a few bucks and not have one in case of some dry spell is asking for trouble.
Trying to save 50 bucks for when you really need it is only going to send you to the vet and I'll bet the bill will be higher.

Harry

If your chams urates look good and is not shedding go and spend the money to get the clean covers and with plants and mists you should be fine. In the mean time if you want to increase the humidity tonight then place the damp towels on the sides and you should be fine.

I have the Sunbeam Ultrasonic humidifier. It's awesome and I love it. I wish I would've bought one for myself years ago. Oh ya it keeps my chams happy too :p

If you don't need something dramatic I have a suggestion. I hang a small terracotta pot in my cage that is covered with nylon net. It's about 10 inches from the top. Inside it are hydrated water crystals (I take it out and put it in water to rehydrate it every so often depending on the weather). I really filled it up. When hydrated, it looks like an ice cream cone.

I get a significant (~5%) jump in humidity by just hanging one small pot in the cage, but my cage is tiny. If you have a big cage, then maybe put a bigger pot on the bottom and hang a smaller pot closer to the top.

If you don't need something dramatic I have a suggestion. I hang a small terracotta pot in my cage that is covered with nylon net. It's about 10 inches from the top. Inside it are hydrated water crystals (I take it out and put it in water to rehydrate it every so often depending on the weather). I really filled it up. When hydrated, it looks like an ice cream cone.

I get a significant (~5%) jump in humidity by just hanging one small pot in the cage, but my cage is tiny. If you have a big cage, then maybe put a bigger pot on the bottom and hang a smaller pot closer to the top.

This is radical.

How about a misting system or humidifier?

Back
Top Bottom