Humidity control switching plug

MATT2504

Established Member
I was sitting here looking at all the different types of switches you can get to control your chameleons enviournment! and i was wondering if you can get one that can control the humidity that can be linked to your Mistking, so when the humidity drops below a set level it will operate the pump to bring the humidity back to a satisfactory level? (to operate in the daytime obviously) i've had a quick look on the web, but can't seem to find anything upto the job!

I would appreciate any feedback on this subject, Thanks :D

It is possible, but you would have to know a bit about electronics and microchips.
But Ive seen an Iguana Cage where they had rigged a sensor onto the humidity gauge.
When humidity went above or below a specified point, it would either trigger a fan, or a mister.
Not sure if they sell them commercially though.

It is possible, but you would have to know a bit about electronics and microchips.
But Ive seen an Iguana Cage where they had rigged a sensor onto the humidity gauge.
When humidity went above or below a specified point, it would either trigger a fan, or a mister.
Not sure if they sell them commercially though.

Would'nt happen to have a link by anychance would you? :D

Unfortunately I do not...Ive actually been trying to find it for myself as well.
All I know is that it was on some European site and I think the guy was from Germany or Belgium..one of the two. This was about a year ago.
The hard part would be doing the sensors though..then some computer fans..

Last edited:
Well i have searched high and low for an idea! looks like iam gunna have to foot the bill for a Ecozone :mad:

I was sitting here looking at all the different types of switches you can get to control your chameleons enviournment! and i was wondering if you can get one that can control the humidity that can be linked to your Mistking, so when the humidity drops below a set level it will operate the pump to bring the humidity back to a satisfactory level? (to operate in the daytime obviously) i've had a quick look on the web, but can't seem to find anything upto the job!

I would appreciate any feedback on this subject, Thanks :D

Just my opinion, but unless you are working with a species that is extremely sensitive to humidity fluctuations or are not home for days at a time, I don't think you need to go to this extreme. If you have something fragile that needs constant higher humidity like dart frogs maybe. Humidity fluctuates in the wild too, and given a good cage setup a healthy cham can certainly deal with it. In fact, its better to have cycles of drier and wetter anyway. But, if the gadget value appeals to you that's fine of course.

You can work out a way to even out extremes in humidity change fairly simply with a multiple setting lamp timer and a room humidifier or a fogger. I've lived in very very dry areas and kept montane cham species successfully by doing this.

Here's what I do:

Get a good quality humidity gauge, a multiple setting or programmable plug in lamp timer, and an ultrasonic room humidifier.
Give your cage a normal good hand spraying and record when the cage reaches the high humidity level you want.
Let the cage dry out until it gets TOO dry, and note the level and how long it took to get there.
Start the humidifier and record how long it takes for the cage to reach a moderate humidity level you want.
Let the cage dry out again.
Start testing your humidity, spraying, and drying cycles until you get the balance you want.

This trial and error lets you determine how wet the cage can get with hand spraying, how long it takes to dry out again and what humidity level it actually drops down to. Then this also tells you how often to cycle the humidifier and how long it needs to run.

Just my opinion, but unless you are working with a species that is extremely sensitive to humidity fluctuations or are not home for days at a time, I don't think you need to go to this extreme. If you have something fragile that needs constant higher humidity like dart frogs maybe. Humidity fluctuates in the wild too, and given a good cage setup a healthy cham can certainly deal with it. In fact, its better to have cycles of drier and wetter anyway. But, if the gadget value appeals to you that's fine of course.

You can work out a way to even out extremes in humidity change fairly simply with a multiple setting lamp timer and a room humidifier or a fogger. I've lived in very very dry areas and kept montane cham species successfully by doing this.

Here's what I do:

Get a good quality humidity gauge, a multiple setting or programmable plug in lamp timer, and an ultrasonic room humidifier.
Give your cage a normal good hand spraying and record when the cage reaches the high humidity level you want.
Let the cage dry out until it gets TOO dry, and note the level and how long it took to get there.
Start the humidifier and record how long it takes for the cage to reach a moderate humidity level you want.
Let the cage dry out again.
Start testing your humidity, spraying, and drying cycles until you get the balance you want.

This trial and error lets you determine how wet the cage can get with hand spraying, how long it takes to dry out again and what humidity level it actually drops down to. Then this also tells you how often to cycle the humidifier and how long it needs to run.

Thanks Carlton,

Having O.C.D is a real pain in the arse! and spending alot of time away is to also. Your comments about trial and error, with spraying the cage etc etc, was top of my list! However with the amount of time i spend away :mad: i can only expect my wife to do the basics tasks for me. Therefor a fully automated system must also be a priority for me.
As it will not be long before my circumstances change iam trying to make the transition as managable as possible in the mean time. Once in place my automated system will fully mimic the Chameleons natural enviournment as close as possible (hopefully just as well as hand misting and drying out times do) as i will spend just as much time with the electronics as i would do with a hand mister and a light switch!

Back
Top Bottom