Humidifier for terrarium

I’m having a very difficult time keeping the humidity up in my Panther chameleons terrarium. I’ve heard getting a fogger or humidifier is a good solution. Unfortunately Foggers are about $80. I was wondering if a cool mist humidifier would suffice. How would I attach a tube to the coolmist humidifier? Here’s a picture of my current set up. Also I believe that my humidity gauge is bunk, I have a digital one as well but it’s readings fluctuate dramatically.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 157
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 161
You would need a shower sheet wrapped around 3 of the sides, else room humidity will be cage humidity.

As for which humidifier, it just needs to be one with a opening you can attach a vacuum cleaner hose or drainage hose to, and has an internal fan(the cheap ones just sonic the water and hope it goes up).

A humidity drop during the day is fine. At night a cool-mist humidifier can be used to up humidity to 80%+. You can use PVC if you want to get it flowing from top to bottom -- I just put my cool mist humidifier on top of a bucket and direct it into the enclosure with no additional piping.

Thank you guys. I do have a shower sheet and my Mister king comes on at 8am,9am,10am,12pm,2pm,3pm,4pm,6pm, and 8pm for 5 minutes. I have a couple live plants in the bottom. But I think the Humidifier will definitely help. As is he’s definitely not hurting for water. Is it possible for them to get too much water? Is there a point where it becomes bad for their lungs?

A humidity drop during the day is fine. At night a cool-mist humidifier can be used to up humidity to 80%+. You can use PVC if you want to get it flowing from top to bottom -- I just put my cool mist humidifier on top of a bucket and direct it into the enclosure with no additional piping.
Is there a point where too much mist can cause pneumonia?

Is there a point where too much mist can cause pneumonia?

You do want to be careful of a Respiratory Infection. I have found conflicting information on what exactly causes it but the majority of what I have seen is that excessive moisture + heat = bad. I am pretty sparse on my misting during the day time when her UV and basking lights are on I mist one time at about 4 pm and only for a minute or two. Some more experienced keepers will chime in here I'm sure.

Thank you guys. I do have a shower sheet and my Mister king comes on at 8am,9am,10am,12pm,2pm,3pm,4pm,6pm, and 8pm for 5 minutes. I have a couple live plants in the bottom. But I think the Humidifier will definitely help. As is he’s definitely not hurting for water. Is it possible for them to get too much water? Is there a point where it becomes bad for their lungs?
Yeah that is a lot of long misting sessions... Take a listen to this podcast... https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-89-naturalistic-hydration-for-chameleons/

You don't want really high humidity during the day only at night. Day time your looking at about 50ish% for a Panther. At night when the cage is its coolest say 12-5am is when you want to up that humidity level to 100% with a fogger or a cool mist humidifier.

I agree with @Beman that's a lot of misting for a panther. My humidity drops below 40% during the day and I have had zero hydration issues.

Back
Top Bottom