How to ship two reptiles together?

kelly_girl199

Avid Member
i know someone on here has had to of shipped two reptiles to one person. Is there a way I can ship two reptiles together? Like make two seperate foam boxes inside of one? Or how I go about shipping? I have a male chameleon and female bearded dragon I need to ship home . Preferably I would rather ship in the same box. Kinda scares me to send both of my babies seperately.

i know someone on here has had to of shipped two reptiles to one person. Is there a way I can ship two reptiles together? Like make two seperate foam boxes inside of one? Or how I go about shipping? I have a male chameleon and female bearded dragon I need to ship home . Preferably I would rather ship in the same box. Kinda scares me to send both of my babies seperately.
This will not be until the end of May and then I am driving back down to Florida.

I got 2 chameleons yesterday, one in each box, taped together one on top of the other, and they got here just fine!

This will not be until the end of May and then I am driving back down to Florida.

Why don't you drive them with you? Where are you shipping from?

I would ship them both in the same box. Most people ship bigger lizards in bags. I hate shipping in bags because I think it really is stressful for the animals. I've seen big boxes of fairly large reptiles packed up for shipment by the importer I buy from. He will lay layers of animals in bags and then pack loosely crumpled newspaper around them to keep the bags from moving and pad the animals on all sides.

Go to Ship Your Reptiles' web site (I think they are a site sponsor) and read their advice on shipping. There is a lot of really good information on their web site. Sometimes it isn't as easy to find it all, but it is there. Look through the "Get Help" button.

I prefer to use separate secure containers inside a proper insulated shipping box. Ship Your Reptiles has the boxes and supplies for shipping. With a bearded dragon or a bigger chameleon, you will have to make your own inside box or use a little plastic tote with holes drilled. I would spend the extra money on the bigger box and higher shipping charges rather than put them in bags.

You have to be aware of the things like horns and dorsal crests that could be rubbed, broken or damaged during shipping. Give them a branch--use a proper-sized natural branch that is easy for them to grip--so they will be securely anchored in place. If they are holding onto a branch, they won't get bounced around and hurt if--I suspect it is when--the box is dropped and handled roughly.

I use deli cups with a little stick for the smaller chameleons. The deli cup is one from Ship Your Reptiles and has pre-drilled holes. I drill two more holes near the bottom and push a small stick through and then tape it at both ends on the outside so it doesn't move. I fold a half of a paper towel and put it under the stick. If the chameleon is too big for a stick in the deli cup(I don't want their backs or horns to get rubbed), I just use the folded paper towel. I give two sprays with a hand mister so the paper towel, the inside and chameleon are damp. With a bigger chameleon, I'll use a plastic tote.

Below are two pictures of shipping containers for chameleons. The second picture is a container that Bill Strand (Dragonstrand) sent with an adult male gracilior that he sent me. I think it is 11" x 7" tall by 6". He drilled holes for the branch and hot glued it in place. He also drilled holes for air circulation and glued an absorbent 3 cubic inch block of something that was soaked with water and used to keep the humidity up inside the container. Unfortunately, the box was so tall, it required a very large shipping box so the costs were high. Since you are also sending a bearded dragon, you need the bigger box anyway. I would use a cheap plastic tote about the size of a shoe box for the beardie.

I tape all my inner containers shut making sure I don't tape over the holes. I want to be sure that if the box gets wet or broken open, the animals inside are safely contained.

I'm also looking into getting different insulated boxes that are molded Styrofoam like a small cooler and fit inside a cardboard box.

Wad up newspaper or use Styrofoam packing peanuts to keep everything from moving around inside the outer shipping box.

I use Phase 22 packs when I ship. These are little gel packs (about $4 each) that regulate temperature by changing their state from solid to liquid or vice versa. Energy (heat) is released as liquids freeze and absorbed as they melt. A Phase 22 pack's freezing point is 22C (72F) so they tend to regulate the temps around there. You can't overheat an animal with a P22 and they are very safe. I've had to ship where my temps were very high but they were going somewhere cold, so I've put in Phase 22 packs that were solid AND liquid to cover both ends of the temperature spectrum. I do not like the standard heat packs. More animals are killed by heat than cold during shipping, that's for sure.

I put a few holes in the sides of the outer shipping container, but I'm not so sure they need much air flow. They have very low oxygen requirements.

I also use a new box. There is something about a fresh white box with no marks on it that helps remind FedEx employees there is something alive inside. The box is pre-printed with "PERISHABLE" and arrows to remind them to keep it upright. I pack the animals as if they are going on a conveyor belt and falling 10 feet. I write in big letters on all sides "LIVE Harmless Reptiles" and on the top, LIVE Harmless Wildlife." The wildlife wording is a requirement of the Lacy Act.

Hope that helps.

20170222_074121.jpg

20170222_074908.jpg

I would ship them both in the same box. Most people ship bigger lizards in bags. I hate shipping in bags because I think it really is stressful for the animals. I've seen big boxes of fairly large reptiles packed up for shipment by the importer I buy from. He will lay layers of animals in bags and then pack loosely crumpled newspaper around them to keep the bags from moving and pad the animals on all sides.

Go to Ship Your Reptiles' web site (I think they are a site sponsor) and read their advice on shipping. There is a lot of really good information on their web site. Sometimes it isn't as easy to find it all, but it is there. Look through the "Get Help" button.

I prefer to use separate secure containers inside a proper insulated shipping box. Ship Your Reptiles has the boxes and supplies for shipping. With a bearded dragon or a bigger chameleon, you will have to make your own inside box or use a little plastic tote with holes drilled. I would spend the extra money on the bigger box and higher shipping charges rather than put them in bags.

You have to be aware of the things like horns and dorsal crests that could be rubbed, broken or damaged during shipping. Give them a branch--use a proper-sized natural branch that is easy for them to grip--so they will be securely anchored in place. If they are holding onto a branch, they won't get bounced around and hurt if--I suspect it is when--the box is dropped and handled roughly.

I use deli cups with a little stick for the smaller chameleons. The deli cup is one from Ship Your Reptiles and has pre-drilled holes. I drill two more holes near the bottom and push a small stick through and then tape it at both ends on the outside so it doesn't move. I fold a half of a paper towel and put it under the stick. If the chameleon is too big for a stick in the deli cup(I don't want their backs or horns to get rubbed), I just use the folded paper towel. I give two sprays with a hand mister so the paper towel, the inside and chameleon are damp. With a bigger chameleon, I'll use a plastic tote.

Below are two pictures of shipping containers for chameleons. The second picture is a container that Bill Strand (Dragonstrand) sent with an adult male gracilior that he sent me. I think it is 11" x 7" tall by 6". He drilled holes for the branch and hot glued it in place. He also drilled holes for air circulation and glued an absorbent 3 cubic inch block of something that was soaked with water and used to keep the humidity up inside the container. Unfortunately, the box was so tall, it required a very large shipping box so the costs were high. Since you are also sending a bearded dragon, you need the bigger box anyway. I would use a cheap plastic tote about the size of a shoe box for the beardie.

I tape all my inner containers shut making sure I don't tape over the holes. I want to be sure that if the box gets wet or broken open, the animals inside are safely contained.

I'm also looking into getting different insulated boxes that are molded Styrofoam like a small cooler and fit inside a cardboard box.
I am flying home from college.Getting married this summer so I will only be home for 2 months. It is just easier to fly home, leave my car on campus and drive back with the future Hubby.We have to move everything down. SO I want to ship my reptiles home. I received Buddy about 4 months ago and he was already a year old. He is about 15 inches in length and weights about 160 grams. Luna is 14 1/2 inches a year old and about 190 grams. Buddy came in a reptile bag and seemed to do just fine. Luna I think would do better in some sort of a snake bag verses a cup.I was just wondering if I got a longer box if I could get away with just putting a foam divider between them, snake bag for both. I guess It just seems to me if they dont have alot of room to move they woulod have less chance of injury.But I really dont know how most breeders or importers would ship adult animals.

Wad up newspaper or use Styrofoam packing peanuts to keep everything from moving around inside the outer shipping box.

I use Phase 22 packs when I ship. These are little gel packs (about $4 each) that regulate temperature by changing their state from solid to liquid or vice versa. Energy (heat) is released as liquids freeze and absorbed as they melt. A Phase 22 pack's freezing point is 22C (72F) so they tend to regulate the temps around there. You can't overheat an animal with a P22 and they are very safe. I've had to ship where my temps were very high but they were going somewhere cold, so I've put in Phase 22 packs that were solid AND liquid to cover both ends of the temperature spectrum. I do not like the standard heat packs. More animals are killed by heat than cold during shipping, that's for sure.

I put a few holes in the sides of the outer shipping container, but I'm not so sure they need much air flow. They have very low oxygen requirements.

I also use a new box. There is something about a fresh white box with no marks on it that helps remind FedEx employees there is something alive inside. The box is pre-printed with "PERISHABLE" and arrows to remind them to keep it upright. I pack the animals as if they are going on a conveyor belt and falling 10 feet. I write in big letters on all sides "LIVE Harmless Reptiles" and on the top, LIVE Harmless Wildlife." The wildlife wording is a requirement of the Lacy Act.

Hope that helps.

View attachment 176996
View attachment 176997

And I am shipping from Florida to Michigan at the end of May. I am going home in a week for a visit so I was going to get temporary enclosures set up for my parents to quickly get them into enclosrues.

Hope that helps.

View attachment 176996
View attachment 176997

Reptile exress has a insulated package box that is about 30" long. Could something like that work? I mean you wouldknow better that I would since you have done alot of shipping.

And I am shipping from Florida to Michigan at the end of May. I am going home in a week for a visit so I was going to get temporary enclosures set up for my parents to quickly get them into enclosrues.

Why don't you just drive them with you? That's what I would do. Shipping is going to cost you about $100 for a big box, plus the cost of the box and probably something like a few P22 packs. Just get a few totes, bigger than you would ship in and furnish the chameleon one with branches and plastic plants. Add a screened lid.

Because I am not driving. I am flying back to Michigan. When I return to Florida for a permanent move, then I am driving. They will be driving back with me then. But I have to ship them back to Michigan first.
Why don't you just drive them with you? That's what I would do. Shipping is going to cost you about $100 for a big box, plus the cost of the box and probably something like a few P22 packs. Just get a few totes, bigger than you would ship in and furnish the chameleon one with branches and plastic plants. Add a screened lid.

Because I am not driving. I am flying back to Michigan. When I return to Florida for a permanent move, then I am driving. They will be driving back with me then. But I have to ship them back to Michigan first.

Send them through Ship Your Reptiles (Fed Ex) and be really careful about the temps coming from or to Florida in May.

What kind of chameleon?

I will get one of those packs you mentioned if Need be. I am going to send on a nice day hopefully right before I come home. I am in the Panhandle so it's much cooler than lower Florida. Alabama is less than an hour from me.

Back
Top Bottom