Bioactive substrate/soil

Ventura

Hi y’all. Been lurking for a while and studying up, finally getting my first panther chameleon this Sunday.

I’m almost completely prepared, but I want to go bioactive because of the many benefits. I have 2 other reptiles that I have in bioactive enclosures, one being a bearded dragon and the other a redfoot tortoise. I used substrate from the bio dude for both of them which has worked out great, but I’ve been seeing a lot of stuff recently, specifically on this forum, about shady practices from him, and while I know his mixture itself is fine, I’d prefer not to support someone that stole his recipe from others.

I’m looking at using Neherps V2 mix instead, but I’d love to hear the opinion of people from here.

Welcome to the forum. And the land of being able to post threads. :hilarious:

With chams it is mostly the main set up of your bioactive layers that matter. Just because of the amount of water that goes through an enclosure. Your layers have to be done correctly not only to filter the water back out to ensure plant growth but also so that you do not have soupy yuck at the bottom that kills off your isopods. Take a look at this https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/

Getting your baby on Sunday does not give you much time to really balance out your bioactive aspects. It can be done just really watch how high your humidity is sitting for ambient daytime levels.

Welcome to the forum. And the land of being able to post threads. :hilarious:

With chams it is mostly the main set up of your bioactive layers that matter. Just because of the amount of water that goes through an enclosure. Your layers have to be done correctly not only to filter the water back out to ensure plant growth but also so that you do not have soupy yuck at the bottom that kills off your isopods. Take a look at this https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/

Getting your baby on Sunday does not give you much time to really balance out your bioactive aspects. It can be done just really watch how high your humidity is sitting for ambient daytime levels.
So basically, as long as I set it up right neherp’s V2 is good? Amazing

Also appreciate the concern. Prob should have made clear, I’m adopting him from someone that doesn’t have the time or resources to properly take care of him. She has him in an adequate sized mesh enclosure with a bare bottom that she’s giving to me when I pick the cham up, but I like to oversize my enclosures to give my animals more than adequate space so I’m going to be getting a larger enclosure and I’ll let it cycle for a bit before I switch him over to it. I know chameleons like change just about as much as tortoises so I don’t want to stress him out too much from the get-go by changing his keeper, the setting outside of his enclosure, and his basic enclosure itself all at the same time lol

So basically, as long as I set it up right neherp’s V2 is good?
I had to look up what exactly that is. All three of their formulas look fine to use, but all are rather pricey. When I set up my first bioactive enclosure (for a leopard gecko) I bought the substrate and stuff from the BioDude. Then I learned I can make my own for much less and followed the blog that you’ve already been given a link to.

I had to look up what exactly that is. All three of their formulas look fine to use, but all are rather pricey. When I set up my first bioactive enclosure (for a leopard gecko) I bought the substrate and stuff from the BioDude. Then I learned I can make my own for much less and followed the blog that you’ve already been given a link to.
I know most people are prob good at it but DIY stuff just always blows up in my face.

With my animals I’ve always gone by safe and spend a little more than make my own and have my luck kick in and something be wrong lmao. Plus always good to support places that make safe plants easy to access for reptile keepers

Edit: as long as they don’t steal recipes and stuff😅

The link is def still useful though. Goes into a lot of good detail

Last edited:
So basically, as long as I set it up right neherp’s V2 is good? Amazing

Also appreciate the concern. Prob should have made clear, I’m adopting him from someone that doesn’t have the time or resources to properly take care of him. She has him in an adequate sized mesh enclosure with a bare bottom that she’s giving to me when I pick the cham up, but I like to oversize my enclosures to give my animals more than adequate space so I’m going to be getting a larger enclosure and I’ll let it cycle for a bit before I switch him over to it. I know chameleons like change just about as much as tortoises so I don’t want to stress him out too much from the get-go by changing his keeper, the setting outside of his enclosure, and his basic enclosure itself all at the same time lol
I can not speak specifically to the brand your looking at. Most of what I see people do here is their own organic mix. I personally do not have bioactive. My Veiled would eat every isopod and piece of dirt he could get his tongue on.

It sounds like you have done not only your research but have a great heart. You will fit right into this hobby. Most do not think of the little things like you have just with bringing your new guy home. Might I offer 1 bit of advice. Since you have the cage the cham is coming in get a fecal done first to ensure there is not a parasite issue before you transfer him to a fully planted out bioactive enclosure. This is just for peace of mind mostly. Not all parasites are the same with cleaning and when you put the money into bioactive the last thing you want is to have to throw it all away due to a parasite.

I can not speak specifically to the brand your looking at. Most of what I see people do here is their own organic mix. I personally do not have bioactive. My Veiled would eat every isopod and piece of dirt he could get his tongue on.

It sounds like you have done not only your research but have a great heart. You will fit right into this hobby. Most do not think of the little things like you have just with bringing your new guy home. Might I offer 1 bit of advice. Since you have the cage the cham is coming in get a fecal done first to ensure there is not a parasite issue before you transfer him to a fully planted out bioactive enclosure. This is just for peace of mind mostly. Not all parasites are the same with cleaning and when you put the money into bioactive the last thing you want is to have to throw it all away due to a parasite.
Vet appointment is already scheduled :)

I appreciate the kind words too they mean a lot

Just picked him up and the person that had him before had really improper husbandry and a very undersized enclosure (they said it was 48” but it wasnt) :(

Gonna grab one of these enclosures (https://tamura-designs.com/collections/arboreal-large-enclosures/products/48x24x48) and get him in right after the vet
Post a few pics of him when you get a chance so we can just look him over... See if there is anything that stands out that you need to bring up to the vet.

And that enclosure is awesome you will love it. But again get a fecal done to ensure he is not carrying a bad parasite load that you have to treat for. If he passes one prior to you going then put it in a plastic bag and go ahead and see if they will let you drop it off.

Post a few pics of him when you get a chance so we can just look him over... See if there is anything that stands out that you need to bring up to the vet.

And that enclosure is awesome you will love it. But again get a fecal done to ensure he is not carrying a bad parasite load that you have to treat for. If he passes one prior to you going then put it in a plastic bag and go ahead and see if they will let you drop it off.
Here’s a couple pics of him. He’s pretty friendly and willingly hops right onto people’s arms even right when we got home so at least there’s some good w the bad.

And I’ll look out for it in case I can get the fecal early
IMG_7286.jpeg

IMG_7274.jpeg

Whatever was happening w his nostrils is gone now, but I think it might’ve just been shed

(Ignore the mess lol had to make some emergency purchases to set up something good temporarily)

Here’s a couple pics of him. He’s pretty friendly and willingly hops right onto people’s arms even right when we got home so at least there’s some good w the bad.

And I’ll look out for it and see!
View attachment 340393
View attachment 340394

Whatever was happening w his nostrils is gone now, but I think it might’ve just been shed
He actually looks pretty dang good for being in bad husbandry. A bit on the thin side but that is easily fixed with proper food. Eyes look nice and clear. Turrets are nice and full. Limbs look nice and straight so no visible sign of MBD. He is going to be a looker with the right husbandry and a bit of love.

He actually looks pretty dang good for being in bad husbandry. A bit on the thin side but that is easily fixed with proper food. Eyes look nice and clear. Turrets are nice and full. Limbs look nice and straight so no visible sign of MBD. He is going to be a looker with the right husbandry and a bit of love.
A little less to worry about before the vet thank ya! That’s good to hear

Hi y’all. Been lurking for a while and studying up, finally getting my first panther chameleon this Sunday.

I’m almost completely prepared, but I want to go bioactive because of the many benefits. I have 2 other reptiles that I have in bioactive enclosures, one being a bearded dragon and the other a redfoot tortoise. I used substrate from the bio dude for both of them which has worked out great, but I’ve been seeing a lot of stuff recently, specifically on this forum, about shady practices from him, and while I know his mixture itself is fine, I’d prefer not to support someone that stole his recipe from others.

I’m looking at using Neherps V2 mix instead, but I’d love to hear the opinion of people from here.
Nice, I wonder which bearded dragon substrate is best?

Back
Top Bottom