How to Re-Pot

So tonight I was re-potting plants for my chams. I took some pics and wanted to share them. This is just how I did it and by no means the bible of re-potting. I do however suggest that you wash all plants with dish soap thoroughly and then rinse thoroughly.

The first step was filling the pot with stone. I used chipped marble stone. I put enough stone in the bottom so that I couldn't see the bottom of the pot.

IMG_8198.jpg

IMG_8199.jpg

I then poured enough dirt into the pot to cover all of the rock.

IMG_8200.jpg

I then placed the plants (Schefflera) inside the pot on top of the soil.

IMG_8201.jpg

IMG_8202.jpg

Then cover with dirt.

IMG_8203.jpg

Then pack in the dirt around the plant and arrange the plants as you wish them to grow.

IMG_8204.jpg

I didn't take photos of the following steps. I showered the plants to moisten the dirt and then applied more pressure onto the soil to pack it down. If needed I added more soil. I will leave these plants outside so that they can grow some more. I plan to use the plants for Pat's little boy cage. I will post more pics when I have them.

How do you wash the plant roots off so well and get them out of the original dirt? I had a heck of a time doing this, half the root fell off with the soil. Is thier a trick to it?

How do you wash the plant roots off so well and get them out of the original dirt? I had a heck of a time doing this, half the root fell off with the soil. Is thier a trick to it?

Hey Roni,

I use a garden hose nozzle set to 'rain' and I just gently wash the old dirt and fertilizer out. On a Ficus with really dense but fragile roots I just make sure to get as much fertilizer as I can. I then cover the roots with more dirt than if I had washed all the fertilizer out. This keeps the chams from eating something bad. I too have roots coming off in some cases. Just try and be as gentle as you can;). With a Pothos.... I will set the nozzle to 'jet'. The roots on pothos can be very dense... but hearty, so you can be kinda rough with pothos plants.

Back
Top Bottom