how to identify different species of jackson chameleons

daveo

Established Member
Just like the title of the thread says. How can you tell C. j. jacksonii, C. j. merumontanus, C. j. xantholophus apart? I think I have a C. j. xantholophus, but he seems small which makes me think it could be the dwarf sub-species C. j. merumontanus, but I am not sure how to tell them apart.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

Daveo

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 422
Just like the title of the thread says. How can you tell C. j. jacksonii, C. j. merumontanus, C. j. xantholophus apart? I think I have a C. j. xantholophus, but he seems small which makes me think it could be the dwarf sub-species C. j. merumontanus, but I am not sure how to tell them apart.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

Daveo

I'm pretty sure that is a xanth, merus are even smaller and quite colorful.

That is a Triceros xantholophus. Merumontanus has a powder blue ground color and eye turret with a yellow area around were the horns project. Jacksonii jacksonii also have a bluish-green overtone and usually a large splash of yellow along the side of the body.

Thanks for all of the help. Does he seem small in the picture? He eats well and seems healthy, I feed him dubias and crickets and the occasional horn worm. I sprinkle with calcium ate every feeding and calcium with d3 once a month. Along with multivitamin once a month. Is there anything I should be doing differently?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

Daveo

If he is feeding well on Dubis and crickets, feed those feeders lots of turnip greens. That is a good source of calcium and is better than dusting. Cut the dusting of calcium back to about once a week and the D-3 every 6 weeks. If you give the crickets a good supply of turnip greens (mustard and collard greens are good too, I just prefer turnips), he will be getting a good natural source of calcium. You can try Phoenix worms as well for calcium. Jacksons and other montane chameleons can be very sensitive to over supplementation. Multivitamin once a month is O.K., just be sure not to dust then until they look like ghosts, a very light coat will work. Good luck.

Thanks everyone. I had a bad experience with a Senegal when I was young so i am always worried. Usually worried for nothing!

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

Daveo

Back
Top Bottom