How to get Mel to take her meds?

chefbill

How do you get your Cham to take medication? Got a syringe with Panacur and some Flagyl for Parasites and bacteria for my wild caught Melleri. I waited for Mel to settle in and had a fecal done came back with bacteria and parasite eggs. Mel was pretty stressed about the syringe tried while drinking then tried while eating. Mel seems in good health eats like a pig drinks well white urates and solid poops regularly. Cage 3 x 3 x 4 misted twice daily for 5 - 10 minutes then leave a drip 80 degree hot spot had coil uvb switched to 5 repti sun tube with 6700k 2-3 dustings calcium per week d3 once a week gutloaded crickets and superworms Mel is 19 inches long weighs .328 kg has shed twice since I got him/her. Mel is missing a couple of nails on one foot and had a rub on his nose which is clearing up nicely.

Attachments

• DSC01030.jpg
    DSC01030.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 153
How do you get your Cham to take medication?...
Howdy Bill,

Since you are indeed a chef, think of a roach and panacur like loading-up a choclate eclair with filling :). You can inject the Panacur into most any feeder that is large enough not to "pop" when shot-up with a dose of whatever meds you want to deliver.

Just today I was giving Panacur to 6 of my 7 melleri. They ALLLLLLL love to eat... So I just loaded up the Panacur in a syringe and then offered a feeder... be it super worm or some crickets in a cup. Once they shot at the food and started to chew (melleri chew like 3 year olds... mouth wide open smacking their lips) I stuck the syringe into the mouth and quickly squeezed out the Panacur and pull the syringe out. Most don't even realize it lol.

But Dave's advice is perfect for hornworms. I have never done it with a roach but I am sure it works just the same.

Check out the melleri forum on this site. There is also the Melleri Discovery site to take a look at (if you haven't already).

Are you using a auto mist system? If you are hand misting, I would recommend buying or making an automatic mister. Melleri need a lot of water.

Iwas sitting and thinking about injecting a superworm right before I read the post about eclairs if only I had a needle. No real need though they really are pigs about eating. I think mel was just stressed by all the handling in the past couple of days and changes to the routine. I had just switched to a pump sprayer and changed up the lighting. Needed a weight for the vet and Mel is a little klingy when being handled good strong grip. This morning she has settled down and no problem getting the meds in with breakfast. Thanks for responding.

Back
Top Bottom