How to attach vines to a screen cage?

Hey all, the attaching of vines has always been a nemesis for me. I finally came up with this method that I've been using in my 18x18x36 enclosures. This is a pic of a cage that I just tore down to redo everything but this master floating vine which everything else will hang on.
20210816_142106.jpg

Attachments

• 20210816_142112.jpg
    20210816_142112.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 75
i try not to attach anything to my screens. I bought lattice at Lowe’s and managed to cut it in half and trimmed down the sides as well and then stood one piece on each side of the inside of the cage and then zip tied branches between the two going across and at angles, all up and down the height of the cage. I used some wooden dowels from Lowe’s as well and where they criss crossed in places made the perfect spot to hold a potted pothos!

This method doesn't work that well for 24x24 cages. The attached is a very old pic (2015) of some 24x24 cages I did. I'm going to be doing up 6 of them with a hybrid method that uses synthetic perches that are straight and rigid similar to the way these are setup. Then I'll hang the smaller diameter synthetic vines around this base

Attachments

• 20160211_160206.jpg
    20160211_160206.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 87
Hey all, the attaching of vines has always been a nemesis for me. I finally came up with this method that I've been using in my 18x18x36 enclosures. This is a pic of a cage that I just tore down to redo everything but this master floating vine which everything else will hang on.View attachment 307828
This method has been bulletproof. No screen tears. This is the third iteration of this cage with the original floating vine installation which is now over 3 years old

I no longer use any wood in my cages. Synthetic only for perches. Live plants are the only real wood anywhere near my cages.

I use real bamboo sticks. Cut size desired. Drill holes at both ends of the bamboo. I use a pre drill bit very small. Then use floral wire to attach to the mesh. Can even use string that ties well. Actually works pretty good. My nephew has this string he uses with beads. Make necklace an noticed easier to use. It's little time consuming but haven't ran into any issues with this method. Works with any size bamboo.

This is a very old post that you posted to. It’s best to just start your own thread.
I'm curious, why would it matter that it's an old thread? It's still a record of good information. Why not just let it run on. I get that some threads aren't worth keeping alive. This one is.

I'm curious, why would it matter that it's an old thread? It's still a record of good information. Why not just let it run on. I get that some threads aren't worth keeping alive. This one is.
Some people post to an old thread with specific questions to one of the original posters. In the case of this thread, all but one ( jannb ) have not logged on in several to 10 or more years, so are not available to answer.

It's fine that you found worthwhile information in this thread. If you check the archives (or the Similar threads below), you'll likely find many more on the same subject with even more good ideas.

Just be aware that sometimes (depending on the subject) very old threads can contain very old (obsolete/outdated or even wrong) information. 🤓

Back
Top Bottom