How often should I check for eggs?

Xenylla

My first time with a gravies panther female. Twice in the past ten days she dug partial holes, but didn't lay eggs. I checked her laying bin then replaced it with her previous excavations filled in. Two days ago she laid four eggs on the surface. My question is, do you check for eggs every time they've dug? If not, how long can eggs sit in the substrate and still be moved safely?

Don't fill the holes in and don't check the bin unless necessary. You should be able to see that she is thinner after she has laid the eggs.

When she's digging don't let her see you watching her. It's not good that she is laying the eggs on the surface. If it's because you are bothering her you could be pushing her towards eggbinding.

Leave her alone except to feed and water her until she lays the eggs.

This is how it should go...the female will/may dig several test holes and should then settle on one and dig it until she is satisfied with it. It can take a couple of days to dig the hole once she settles on one. She should then turn around butt down and lay the eggs. Usually this happens at night. She may even sleep in the hole overnight. She should lay the eggs and then fill in the hole and tamp it down and return to the branches hungry and thirsty.

Definitely is noT normal to lay eggs on the surface. Try covering the cage with a sheet so she has privacy with a strategically placed peep hole so you can see what's going on without her seeing you. She'll be drastically thinner and normally have excess skin for the first few days after she lays. Have PLENTY of water and food dusted with calcium ready for her when she's finished laying. Hope this helps, good luck!

Beginner or old females can lay their eggs on the surface. I have seen plenty of females lay their first eggs on the surface, only to get it right next time. It is a learning experience for them, also. Just leave her alone. You will know when it happens, she will be absolutely filthy and look like she hasn't eaten or drank, since you got her. Obviously, important to do this at this time. The eggs will be fine, as long as they covered and you keep cage RH up. I found some eggs a couple weeks ago, that were almost ready to hatch. They were maybe 8" under the soil and in perfect condition. Actually, rather large.

Thanks all, that's helpful. It's my chameleon's and my first time to do this. The cage was covered up, but i guess I was too anxious. So, how long after they've been laid is it still OK to move the eggs into an incubator?

once your sure the eggs have all been laid, you can remove them within the first 24-48 hours.

you want to get them in fast so thatthey can settle and you don't rotate the egg yolk inside.

but it doesn't have to be done the second she fills in the hole

Back
Top Bottom