How often can i hold my panther chameleon?

sammseals

I am getting a panther chameleon in 2 days. How often can i hold him without him getting temperamental from not being held or being held too much?

Hello there!
Welcome to the wonderful world of chameleon keeping. There are a number of things you should have ready by now. And you should also know that chameleons are not the best choice for you if you want it to be a "play, partner, or very interactive" pet (generaly speaking).
That being said, each chameleon is different. Some tolerate handling more than others. The best way to go about it is, let the chameleon tell you. He or she will show (by color change, and other behaviors) if you are handling / touching it too much. Get to know your chameleon. My advice to you is let him / her be handled on his / her own terms.
One of my chameleons immediately climbs on my hand when i place it about 4-5 inches infront of him, while the other 'fires-up' and gets away from my hands.... Unless i lure him in with goodies (worms), then he climbs on his own terms.

After my chams settled in, I try to handle them for a few minutes each day. My female is super mellow so I can hold her for much longer than my male. He usually lets me know he's had enough. My veiled can be grumpy so it's always on his terms.

I am getting a panther chameleon in 2 days. How often can i hold him without him getting temperamental from not being held or being held too much?
I wouldn't handle him for now. Give him some space, let him adjust to new environment. You can try to take him out after while, but only if his not scared of you any more.
There are many threads describing how to make him like you more, so you can search a little and I'm sure you will find lots of good tips :)

Thank you everyone for the reply. I know chameleons are not the best lizard to handle. I have a bearded dragon that i got as my first lizard for that very reason. I have had my bearded dragon for 4 years now. I have just seen a lot of posts about people being able to hold their chameleons so that is why i asked. I will end up getting him on Tuesday the 13th so I am going to do more research and make sure I am completely ready but other than that i am super excited! Thank you again for all the replies!!

Thank you everyone for the reply. I know chameleons are not the best lizard to handle. I have a bearded dragon that i got as my first lizard for that very reason. I have had my bearded dragon for 4 years now. I have just seen a lot of posts about people being able to hold their chameleons so that is why i asked. I will end up getting him on Tuesday the 13th so I am going to do more research and make sure I am completely ready but other than that i am super excited! Thank you again for all the replies!!
Many of them turn out to be very friendly (well, as much as a chameleon can be friendly ;)), but you never know how a youngster will turn out. I believe it's best to let them settle for at least few weeks, and then you can try to make him like you a little more. Just don't try to hurry things or you might end up with scared and agressive cham.
Best of luck!

I try to handle as much as possible for very short durations when i first get them. Mainly just hand rides to various sections of the cage. I seem to get more customers when after they wake up i walk them to the basking spot and they can run off my hand.

That being said i never touch a cham that wont at least eat in front of me. An better if they will tong or hand feed. Hey many you will get lucky and get one that will run on your hand when they see you!

yes i have seen stories of chams that run to their owners hands. i would love to have one that will do that with me. I know what i am suppose to feed them but what are treats I can hand feed him to make him want to come to me for that specific treat?

Something thats not a staple, aka a treat. Meal worms are great for this. Or just something extra wiggly. Mine wont come for a meal worm, but will for a giant cricket that im holding by the back legs. Before it became a cricket vacuum Flys worked great due to them buzzing around.

Many of them turn out to be very friendly (well, as much as a chameleon can be friendly ;)), but you never know how a youngster will turn out. I believe it's best to let them settle for at least few weeks, and then you can try to make him like you a little more. Just don't try to hurry things or you might end up with scared and agressive cham.
Best of luck!

I agree with the above. Let them settle in first as they'll be more willing to let you handle them if they're comfortable with their surrounding. I let my new Sambava free range the first time he let me handle him and how he runs to the cage door and waits for me to open the cage so he can run up my arm lol it's funny how some are extremely friendly like my Niro and some just want nothing to do with you..

If he is a young panther I would recommend holding little to none.

Panthers do much better being handled when they are older and a little more chilled out.

It sounds like you are getting a youngster so until they are about 7-8 months I wouldn't handle at all. That is just my opinion.

I think it all depends on getting him to trust you and positively associating yourself with good things like food, treats, and free range time. From what I've observed they become a lot friendlier when they are allowed to free range. I let my male Faly free range when he was 5 months, but its ultimately up to you. He'll let you know when he's okay with you holding him. I never handle them over 5 minutes at a time to avoid any stress.

I think it all depends on getting him to trust you and positively associating yourself with good things like food, treats, and free range time. From what I've observed they become a lot friendlier when they are allowed to free range. I let my male Faly free range when he was 5 months, but its ultimately up to you. He'll let you know when he's okay with you holding him. I never handle them over 5 minutes at a time to avoid any stress.

thats awesome. thank you. i hope mine is friendly lol. ill try some mealworms after he is in his cage for a few weeks.

thats awesome. thank you. i hope mine is friendly lol. ill try some mealworms after he is in his cage for a few weeks.

You should use super worms and try not to feed mealworms. Superworms have less of a shell to innards ratio, mealworms tend to have less meat and more shell. Ultimately, they both can lead to an impaction of the bowel and have alot of carbs, so they should only be fed in moderation like treats. Plus, chameleons tends to become addicted to them and can go on a hunger strike for days or even weeks if given to often. I suggest mixing it up and ordering a hornworm or silkworm cup from one of our fine sponsors:D

I have two boys that are close in age, both under 6 months old.

One readily races towards me and the other is still a tad hesitant. I take them out almost on a daily basis (photo ops) and have been doing so shortly after getting them. I may have waited one to two weeks before I started in on them hardcore.

I definitely got lucky with these two guys. They don't fire up, hiss, bite, etc.

I had a verrucosus that was really pissy and didn't appreciate me much. :eek:

Patience is key and just observe their signals. You'll learn soon enough if you have a display companion or one that will accept handling...Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom