How Much Would You Pay For An Enclosure?

Zen Reptiles

Avid Member
Just curious. I spend between $150-$300 per enclosure including lighting and furnishings. It really depends on the deal I get on the enclosure or if I build it myself! lol

However I know some people build enclosures for under $50 and I have seen custom vivs (namely for dart frogs) go for $8,000-$12,000 which includes all the bells and whistles you could ever need. I meet a lot of keepers who spend $1000+ getting setup for their first chameleon.

What's your ideal price point/starting budget when ALL is said and done? For an all-inclusive, all the bells & whistles, everything. Lights, misting system, plants, timers, the cage itself, everything.

don't n e one take this wrong i am by no means wealthy
(my friends say i spend it like i got it tho):)

if i thought about cost i would get a goldfish
(and no offence meant to goldfish lovers)

i saw that Custom vivarium it was amazing but the price was extremely steep besides that it had plumbing and the full deal of lights. The person who posted it on dendro also said that price was an estimate.
As far as making your own you should know what you want when you build it or buy it, think things through look up prices. I just recently spent around 50$ making a 2x2x4 cage with a nice canopy to hide the lighting. For your pricing you have to take into consideration if you want glass or mesh or a combination, along with ventilation or misting or a rain system. for an extremely nice cage you could probably build it yourself for 400-600$ with all your bells and whistles.

I just bought a whole new "system" about a month ago for my male Panther. If I include the vanity base that my cage sits on; for cage, lighting, furnishings (including thermo's, hygro's etc.) base and my AquaZamp I would say I spent about $700. I can't imagine what else I would need for it so for me and my panthers needs I would say I've got all the bells and whistles we need. He seems to be a happy little dude. hope that helps

I just bought a whole new "system" about a month ago for my male Panther. If I include the vanity base that my cage sits on; for cage, lighting, furnishings (including thermo's, hygro's etc.) base and my AquaZamp I would say I spent about $700. I can't imagine what else I would need for it so for me and my panthers needs I would say I've got all the bells and whistles we need. He seems to be a happy little dude. hope that helps

:eek: I hate when we add up the costs! I'm sure I'm in for $1,000's once I add up chams, enclosures, supps, lighting, AZ, trees, bushes, plants, vines, feeders, colonies, feeding colonies, gutloads, etc...jeebus, this is depressing. :( Thanks for nothing! ;)

don't n e one take this wrong i am by no means wealthy
(my friends say i spend it like i got it tho):)

if i thought about cost i would get a goldfish
(and no offence meant to goldfish lovers)

Me either lol. I'm making minimum wage right now. I tried to start with a goldfish...I killed 9 before I gave up and the pet store guy felt bad for me, so when he saw me with the cham and how much I liked him he gave me 30% off the entire purchase:) being cute and sad works sometimes haha;)

Me either lol. I'm making minimum wage right now. I tried to start with a goldfish...I killed 9 before I gave up and the pet store guy felt bad for me, so when he saw me with the cham and how much I liked him he gave me 30% off the entire purchase:) being cute and sad works sometimes haha;)
Hahaha that's hilarious. I've been a university student for 6 months and part time in between so I've been in the drain money wise for so long. Every sale I hear about I take advantage of. I just can't help spending the little money I have on my reptiles. It's a crucially expensive hobby for those who put the little scaly's before themselves.
I'd say including all supplies I have spent near $600, not including cost of the chameleon.

I think I probably end up at something around $130 per NEW chameleon in up-front cost. Without counting supplements and such, which I've gotten in bulk at wholesale. I do have a Mistking but the timers are like $10 at any store.

- Cage ($80)
- Heat light & fixture (~$8)
- UVB & fixture (~$30)
- Large Pothos ($8)
- Branches from outside

But the amount of money I have in the room, as it were, is much more than that. Like the cage stands, drainage, buckets for mistking, containers for supplements, tweezers, tongs, gram scale, etc..... It would be impossible to tally up 6 years of reptile supplies.

I didn't inlcude the RO system that at first was going to be just for my cham water but I love it myself so I didn't add that in. Don't get me started on feeder $$$. haha, but from here I don't anticipate having to purchase anything else but feeders and feeder food.

That's one thing I laughed to myself about yesterday. I started my research on Chameleon Husbandry about 6 months ago and jumped in and bought one at the end of November. I'm becoming a raiser of many other things (feeders) including my Cham. My friends come over and see me cutting fruit, sprinkling weird powder on the fruit etc and they say, "oh, that's what Chameleons eat?" and I have to say no, it's what my insects eat! They look at me like I'm crazy! Having fun with it though.

Hahaha that's hilarious. I've been a university student for 6 months and part time in between so I've been in the drain money wise for so long. Every sale I hear about I take advantage of. I just can't help spending the little money I have on my reptiles. It's a crucially expensive hobby for those who put the little scaly's before themselves.
I'd say including all supplies I have spent near $600, not including cost of the chameleon.

I feel ya. I'm in my 2nd year of college, and I have no cash ever anymore. I don't want to think how much I've spent on them in 3 years. Lol

Honestly, i dont ever want to know how much ive put into what i have.. I know its well into the thousands!

For the sake of the thread.... If i were looking to build a simple set up i would expect around $200 for everything. Going all out I could easily drop $1500 in a s,ingle enclosure(EXTRA LARGE terrarium, loaded with plants, Vivarium controllers, misting system etc etc)

Good thread!

:eek: I hate when we add up the costs! I'm sure I'm in for $1,000's once I add up chams, enclosures, supps, lighting, AZ, trees, bushes, plants, vines, feeders, colonies, feeding colonies, gutloads, etc...jeebus, this is depressing. :( Thanks for nothing! ;)

And vet bills Max, don't forget the vet bills!! :(

In total for my cage, vitamins, food, plants, branches, vines, lights, and chameleon, I've spent almost $500 and this is my first chameleon. Now when I get my new one, I'm looking at another $500 since I already have most of the things here. I'm deciding on a panther chameleon :)

I'd estimate I've spent close to $700 including EVERYTHING even feeders and the cham. Most of the things in his setup I picked up on sale or had laying dormant around the house and Frankenstein'd it all together.

If you want to save money and still have a very visually pleasing set up and a happy healthy chameleon. it can be done for cheap. Just know that you will have to make most of the things yourself (I've always been a DIY guy myself. But it you want the name brand things get ready to empty your pockets!!!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/socrates-his-f-r-101469/

I got an amazing set up for $200. He easily spent over a grand on everything. I just added things here and there. So wasn't too bad.

I have 2 set ups and between the 2 I have spent easily over 1000$

It's ok though. They deserve the best! :D

between £2000 and £3000 on all 4 of my animals. Don't want to know for sure.. and don't want my boyfriend to know either teehee
That's my holiday, new 42" TV and driving lessons by the way :D

I keep trying to tell people i have a disease but they wont listen...... Basically if i can buy something for £50.00 but the best one is say£200.00 my brain tells me the £50 is a waste and should be put to the £200 as it is only really then going to cost me £150.00. This has led to sheds and cupboards filled with some pretty high quality barely used man toys.

So i have two prices the official one (what the mrs hears) and he real one, it's just that kind of hobby because we all want what's best for our chams we go that little bit further I thought I was all finished around the £1000.00 mark until you lovely people recommended a RO water system..........And on and on them all in one controllers are smiling at me now!!!

the thing is, the enrichment of my life by these creatures is priceless.
i just hope i can at least "tap the brakes" for a little while
and not add any more chams for a while.

my sis is def "cat lady" 7 or 8 cats currently,
so i guess it runs in the family:rolleyes:

Caging: 350

Lighting: 225

Heating: 125

Misting: 150

Fogging: 100

Automation: 450

Incubation: 500

Total: 1950