How many generations before you aren't inbreeding?

todd2010

Established Member
So I'd probably like to give breeding a go in the distant future. I'm seeing that quite a few chams come from a few reputable places and then those chams get bred and others purchase them. I'm wanting to make sure I'm not inbreeding mine when the time comes. I hope that makes sense. It seems that many are from the same lineage.

So I'd probably like to give breeding a go in the distant future. I'm seeing that quite a few chams come from a few reputable places and then those chams get bred and others purchase them. I'm wanting to make sure I'm not inbreeding mine when the time comes. I hope that makes sense. It seems that many are from the same lineage.

And now you know my pain :(. That has been my biggest pain for a little bit now in finding more female nosy be not related to what I have already. I've actually put myself on a waiting list for wc nosy be with one of the importers due to it. By the time the fall imports start I should have my own females to pair off a few months after the quarantine of anything I get though hopefully.

If you do some looking around you can find "smaller" scale yet still reputable breeders that have unrelated lines some times like I have but it definitely can take time and perseverance doing it. One thing I've grown to some what hate is having an ad say "no time wasters" with no lineages posted. So what does one have to do with the seller? Waste both of our times asking for the lineage and then saying sorry they are related to mine :ROFLMAO:.

With countries like Cameroon and Tanzania being on and off again exports species from there can only be bred so far before you have to cross back in. Setting up trading partnerships amongst breeders very important. You just have to do your best to get crosses as unrelated as possible. The rarer locales of panthers are going to have the same problem. Any locales not adjacent to the airport are going to be very difficult long term. Finding european sources can help but many may already be related.

It’s always a personal goal to never inbreed, at least to those breeders that care about what there breeding! I can name a few good people! @dshuld definitely cares about his projects I can tell just by talking to him, He definitely does his research and puts in a lot of care! That’s what anyone should do that has any interest in breeding. Get as much information as possible.

It’s always a personal goal to never inbreed, at least to those breeders that care about what there breeding! I can name a few good people! @dshuld definitely cares about his projects I can tell just by talking to him, He definitely does his research and puts in a lot of care! That’s what anyone should do that has any interest in breeding. Get as much information as possible.

Thanks @Darthroastcoffee! The same can be said for many here I believe. I think they'd all agree it is a labor of love too lol. I haven't looked into the euro lines much tbh but after seeing some of what I've read in cad not sure I'd want to go there on some of the locales either.

I haven't looked into the euro lines much tbh but after seeing some of what I've read in cad not sure I'd want to go there on some of the locales either.
It's hard to know who to trust when you are trading long distance. It's possible that they don't even have pure lines of what they think they have. It's not there hasn't been "mix ups" back in the day.
Apologies to the OP that none of this has answered the original question.

Back
Top Bottom