How many females are you housing together?

yankfanthom

Established Member
I'm looking to expand my breeding projects and I'm just looking to hear from other breeders on here how many females you are keeping to a cage. Currently I keep 1 female per 18x18x36. I've had 2 in one cage before and had no problems especially being they were young and grew to get used to each other. Any thoughts?

I'm looking to expand my breeding projects and I'm just looking to hear from other breeders on here how many females you are keeping to a cage. Currently I keep 1 female per 18x18x36. I've had 2 in one cage before and had no problems especially being they were young and grew to get used to each other. Any thoughts?

ive only kept females together in huge free ranges, i assume the bigger the better and constant observation would help...

tbh it's not wort the hassle. if you are breeding you want your stock to be healthy! I wouldn't save money or space and let it jeperdise a females health down to lack of space. I would stick to housing singularly!:D

tbh it's not wort the hassle. if you are breeding you want your stock to be healthy! I wouldn't save money or space and let it jeperdise a females health down to lack of space. I would stick to housing singularly!:D

So maybe can I go with some slightly smaller cages than the 18x18x36? My reasoning is more for space at this point I think.

I couldn't house them in anything smaller... it not like females don't move around and need the space too. I always thought it was cruel to keep my girls in anything but a 2x2x4'. But I wouldn't go smaller than the 18x18x36. And if you kept females together you'd need something much larger than that, so I would figure out a way to stack the cages if you have to, but don't downgrade them just because you want more females.

I keep females together in my large outdoor enclosure... It is 7 foot long and 7 foot high and 3 foot deep. The females I keep there are sibling sisters that have grown up together ... Not my breeding females.

All my breeding females are kept single in an 18x18x36 cage.

I have attempted to keep two girls in a 24x24x48 in the past and found that it is just not big enough. One female would always start showing signs of sickness . I think it is just too stressful for them unless they have a large area .

I couldn't house them in anything smaller... it not like females don't move around and need the space too. I always thought it was cruel to keep my girls in anything but a 2x2x4'. But I wouldn't go smaller than the 18x18x36. And if you kept females together you'd need something much larger than that, so I would figure out a way to stack the cages if you have to, but don't downgrade them just because you want more females.

I have also only housed females in 2x2x4' cages as it allows for a good size laying area. I also find they sometimes use more space than my males.

Once you put them together in something like a 18 x18 x 36 you'll see they aren't so happy! Every chams different- I tried it and knew right away that I needed more cages!

Now the next million dollar question... Who has the best deal on cages? I've gone through LLL for multiple purchases but they never have any coupons or specials for online customers. Anyone have a better source?

I have looked high and low, but I have never found better cage prices than LLL, if you do let me know.:D

I agree completely with keeping females in single cages and would not go below a 18x18x36.

I have looked high and low, but I have never found better cage prices than LLL, if you do let me know.:D

I agree completely with keeping females in single cages and would not go below a 18x18x36.

I think DIY prices are better because the shipping is included. I've been calling them for 4 months now and they are completely out of everything. Frankly, its amazing they can still operate. I don't get it.

Honestly I would not start a breeding project, or seek to expand it, if I did not have the room necessary to house every chameleon properly. 18x18x36 and 24x24x48 are only MINIMAL requirements for females and males respectively, therefore I offer them more jmo

Honestly I would not start a breeding project, or seek to expand it, if I did not have the room necessary to house every chameleon properly. 18x18x36 and 24x24x48 are only MINIMAL requirements for females and males respectively, therefore I offer them more jmo

I have a full finished basement that sits half empty. I have the room to expand. And as far as minimal requirements where have you found cages for sale that were larger? (other than a home made job of course that takes up the space of an entire room)

I have the females in a 24x24x48 and the males on a 4x4x5, I have to mention that I only have 2.2 chameleons though.

I have the females in a 24x24x48 and the males on a 4x4x5, I have to mention that I only have 2.2 chameleons though.

I'm working with a stock of roughly 3.4 ambanja and ambilobe right now adding 1.1 Nosy Faly with another 53 eggs incubating and 3 gravid females bred and hopefully digging soon. Expansion is imminent....

I have a full finished basement that sits half empty. I have the room to expand. And as far as minimal requirements where have you found cages for sale that were larger? (other than a home made job of course that takes up the space of an entire room)

You should turn your entire basement into a free range vivarium.. How cool would that be- Ohh, that's my fantasy. All my cages are in my "Office" but it would be so much better if my office was a rainforest

You should turn your entire basement into a free range vivarium.. How cool would that be- Ohh, that's my fantasy. All my cages are in my "Office" but it would be so much better if my office was a rainforest

If I did I would be a bachelor again... LOL

LLL is not the cheapest after you pay for their freight shipping addition. They email you a day later to confirm .So they actually tack on another $10 - $15 to your charge depending on location. Ive since went with Pangea reptiles. Which the more you buy from pangea you collect points. After a while you can use your points as cash toward items. I just got a repti sun 5.0 4ft for $5 shipped since I used my points towards it. I like it also since Im in OHIO it actually takes only 1 single day to get my order on regular shipping. LLL takes like forever and I pay more and its at least a full week since they don't even process your order for like a day.

LLL- 2x2x4 = $89 + 12.95 + another Freight shipping charge of anywhere from $10 more to $15
LLL Reptibreeze 2x2x4 $99 + 12.95 + Freight shipping charge of anywhere from $10 more to $15

Pangea Reptibreeze 2x2x4 $84.99 plus one low shipping charge of 9.99 = 94.98 shipped that day.

DIY = 2x2x4 $95 shipped
never used them But I might give a try since I really don't care for the flimsily repti breezes much .

LLL is the most expensive actually out of most places these days.

Back
Top Bottom