How long did it take for your cham to settle in???

Mlz825

Hi, i have a 3-4 month old ambilobe/panther cham and it has been in my care for just a little over a week now. I was wondering how long did it take your cham to get use to home and become more comfortable with you?????

i got minion at a reputable store, arizona reptile center, he was in a cage where there was a lot of activity so he acclimated very quickly. also they do try to socialize when appropriate.
longwinded i know but my point is it depends on what the animals exposure was b4 you got him. i think?

It should take about a few days before they are comfortable to eat. But most Chana don't like to be hadled, of Rhys what your trying to get to. Unfortunately they are like fish and are only to see lol

As far as eating is concerned, this can take up to a week but they should start eating comfortably at that point. As far as comfort level with you, this depends on quite a few factors. I have had chameleons that would eat out of my hand within a couple days and others who took months to start trusting me like that.

My lad was eating and fairly comfortable on the first day.but seeing him now I'd say he's only just fully settled at 6 weeks

Popeye ate straight away after coming by TNT and being left in recycling bin:D I left him to settle for a week then he wanted to climb on my hand. My two foster kidsLOL nosy bes. Have been in my care for 48hrs. I have stuffed their viv with a plant and leaves and I see them peeping out. It's so cute. I plan to leave them for a week and then see what happens. They are eating but not as much as I would like. Hopefully after a week they will be more comfortable.:)

Really depends on the cham. Every one is different.

With a view to eating, normally within a week I'd say assuming they are left to settle in without too much disturbance.

Handling wise, like I say depends on the cham...some don't mind....others...like mine are just grumpy old farts and would rather die than have anything to do with you!!! LOL

I got a female ambilobe yesterday and she ate as soon as she was given food this morning. I didnt feed her yesterday as she was fed in the shop.

She was in a fairly busy shop in one of their highest cages so she felt secure. She has also eaten a wax work from my fingers today.

I have had chams take a week to eat though. Most however eat in the first day or two. As long as they are drinking ok then they will be fine.

With regards to handling some will never take to it. I only take them out once a week to do a cage clean and in the summer to take them outside.

Penelope wasn't eating straight away, but she liked coming out and spending time with me within a few days. She was a sub-adult female.

Ernie has been with me about 2.5 weeks now.. he was eating and drinking straight away, but is not particularly happy when it comes to any hands coming close. I can get him to hand feed, but at the moment he has a little wound on his mouth (from before I got him) and it needs beta dine twice a day to ensure no infections get in there.. so he hates my guts right now.

Like others have said, it just depends on your little buddy.. if he seems a bit stressed give him a week or two on his own, with minimal 'cage fiddling' and do your best not to pop your head around the corner to check up on him :p

There is a thread posted by another girl here who's panther just decided he loved her overnight after a year in her care.. space and patience.. let him get used to you and take it slowly :)

Back
Top Bottom