How Long Can Neonates Stay in Incubator?

jajeanpierre

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have to be out of town for three days around when my eggs could hatch. I'll leave Friday morning and return Sunday night.

What is the longest they could stay in the incubator without food after hatching?

The T. quadricornis gracilior eggs were laid March 15 and I'll be leaving July 31. That puts them about 4.5 months old.

I really think that's too early for them to hatch, but what if they do? My husband will be the only person here and I fear if they are out of the incubator, they won't get enough hydration. It could be a total disaster.

I could really do with some suggestions.

Thanks.

I believe it's normal for them to stay in the incubator for a few days. I could be wrong though.

I have to be out of town for three days around when my eggs could hatch. I'll leave Friday morning and return Sunday night.

What is the longest they could stay in the incubator without food after hatching?

The T. quadricornis gracilior eggs were laid March 15 and I'll be leaving July 31. That puts them about 4.5 months old.

I really think that's too early for them to hatch, but what if they do? My husband will be the only person here and I fear if they are out of the incubator, they won't get enough hydration. It could be a total disaster.

I could really do with some suggestions.

Thanks.

I'm leaving in 9 days. I would really, really appreciate some thoughts/advice from experienced breeders of montane species. Thanks.

I wouldn't recommend you do it every time but three days in the incubator is fine. Plus, if they are not sweating when you leave then you really have nothing to worry about. The process of hatching will take a good day plus so their time being out would be 1-2 days max.

I wouldn't recommend you do it every time but three days in the incubator is fine. Plus, if they are not sweating when you leave then you really have nothing to worry about. The process of hatching will take a good day plus so their time being out would be 1-2 days max.

Thanks so much. It is possible they could hatch about when I leave, but I really think it is a little too early.

It probably is too early Janet, but I've had those same worries from time to time. What are your incubation temps. out of curiosity?

Don't always rely on the sweating rule. I have a clutch I have checking every hour, and the first two didn't sweat at all. Most chams won't eat the first two days out of the egg. They are still absorbing the yolk. Make sure there is a good RH% in the container, so they don't dehydrate. Three days should be alright, but four may be pushing it, if they hatch right after you leave. Good luck.

It probably is too early Janet, but I've had those same worries from time to time. What are your incubation temps. out of curiosity?

The eggs were laid March 15th.

I've got several temperature gauges in the incubator. The temps have ranged from 69F for most of the early part of the incubation to now 70F to 71F. I think they might have gotten up to 72F max for a very brief period of time (hours, if that long).

The eggs have really grown.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

I once went to Europe with 33 veiled eggs in the incubator. I returned 2 weeks later and over half of them had hatched...I'm sure some of them had been there 4-5 days, I had no issues with any of them, they were all healthy and did well...

I once went to Europe with 33 veiled eggs in the incubator. I returned 2 weeks later and over half of them had hatched...I'm sure some of them had been there 4-5 days, I had no issues with any of them, they were all healthy and did well...

Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom