How am I doing? Few general questions...

amfire125

Established Member
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, about 4 months old. Today is day 3 in my care!
  • Handling - I have not tried to handle him at all yet because every time I come into the room he retreats to his favorite hiding spot behind thick vines in the top corner of his enclosure.
  • Feeding - Right now he's only eating small crickets (1/4'' ish) and about 15 a day. The first two days I started with 7ish to see if he'd eat them, he did, so an hour or so later I'd add 7-8 or so more and he'd eat those too. By that time it was early afternoon so I wanted to stop so he'd have proper time to digest. For the first few days I've been using the Flukers orange cubes and water gel, but last night made some home made gut load mixtures from @sandrachameleon 's blogs. LOVE these btw!
  • Supplements - Since it's only been 3 days I've been using calcium only (without D3) and it's the Zoomed brand. The crickets get dusted very well and stay dusted since for now I'm using a cup feeding method. I also have the Zoomed calcium with D3 as well as Reptivite on hand for 2x a month when the time comes.
  • Watering - Right now I'm still hand misting even though my Mistking is pretty much ready. I'm just trying to figure out a good schedule to keep humidity levels and temps at the proper levels. At first I was hand misting with room temp water, and he HATES it, so just this morning switched to hot/warm water in hopes that it would help. He was still hiding and hates it, but hopefully will get used to it. Right now I'm misting about 4 times a day, but the enclosure almost entirely dries out in between mistings. I've also tried setting up a Big Dripper but it doesn't like to work all the time...it's annoying me. I do not see him drink ever...it seems to early for him to let me see him do this (if he will ever! haha).
  • Fecal Description - I'm happy that even in 3 days he has had 2 poos and urates! The first one was very watery and runny, so it worried me, but today I saw a much healthier looking poo with a larger urate. The urates were both bone white (yay!!). In both instances the poo and urates are stuck together...hoping this is normal?
  • History - I got him from FL Chams Friday, July 27th.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - The enclosure is a reptibreeze small (16 x 16 x 30) screen cage.
  • Lighting - Basking bulb is a Zoomed 100 watt bulb that sits in a double dome (other side is empty). UVB is in a 24'' Zoomed linear fixture and the bulb is also a Zoomed, 5.0. Right now the schedule varies a little. I make sure to average 12 hours on and 12 hours off, but roughly 7:30am-8:00am is on time and off time is around 8:00pm. I'm setting up my timer today...I promise.
  • Temperature - The hottest I've seen the basking spot get to is 91, but I can't get it hot enough with a lower wattage bulb. As soon as I see this high temp I simply spray that basking spot to lower the temp in that area, and it will drop to 78-80, but I won't be able to keep this up when my work picks back up. The ambient temperature averages around 72. I use an infrared temperature gun and make sure to aim it at solid objects. The lowest over night temperature is 71 degrees.
  • Humidity - Humidity ranges from 70%-45% mostly. However last night I saw the lowest drop to around 38% and got worried...I'm looking into humidifiers for my room but suggestions on this are definitely welcomed! Right now using the live plants combined with regular mistings keeps the humidity where it should be during the day. I mostly worry about night time humidity. I mostly use an indoor digital thermometer / humidity meter that I have outside the enclosure, but will place inside the enclosure at various spots at different times throughout the day to measure.
  • Plants - The only live plants I have is an umbrella (schefflera) and a pothos. I also have many fake leafy vines around the edges of the enclosure.
  • Placement - The enclosure is in the corner of my bedroom, near a window but not right in front of the window. It sits on top of some storage shelves I got from a home improvement store and the bottom is 38'' from the floor.
  • Location - Richmond, VA.

Current Problem - I'm having a little trouble keeping the temp and humidity levels at a good place. I'm looking into "control" systems that would turn off the basking bulb when it gets too hot, but I worry that would be bad too...? I've read a lot about humidifiers but I'm thinking my best bet is to just use a humidifier for the whole room to keep a minimum humidity level. I like this idea so there isn't anything keeping the enclosure damp, rather the ambient room is simply a little more humid. Does this sound better?

Also, even though I have read a ton of the forums about chams hating their mistings, especially veileds, any advice here? Yesterday when I was misting his cage one time he made a run for it...super speedy quick, to the bottom of the enclosure, got out of the enclosure, and LEAPED out on to the floor! Scared the living heck out of me! He climbed up on to my bed, and was trying to climb high up, but there was nowhere to climb high. I got a stick for him to climb on to. He eventually got on it, and I had to keep rotating it and moving it to keep him on it until I could get him back into his enclosure (so he wouldn't leap off of the stick!). He's obviously still scared of me and getting used to his enclosure, but this whole ordeal was super stressful on him and I felt terrible, but I know he needs the mistings. He seems well hydrated based on his urates but is it too early to be concerned about him cleaning out his eyes and getting the shower effect?

I want to start introducing some worms too, but is it too early to start trying to hand feed? Would it be possible to try to hand feed and if he seems too scared or takes too long then I simply put them in his cup? Maybe when I put the crickets in I should try to stay in the room next time, but at a distance? Right now I leave to make sure he comes out to eat them because he's so afraid of me!

Another thought I had was maybe his enclosure is too small even though he's still very little? I know I'll need to upgrade in the near future, but not exactly sure when, especially with him getting used to me and finding that balance between stressing him out and creating the right environment for him.

Thank you in advance for any and all help! (Pics are when I enter the room and catch him before he runs and hides...I've only done this a few times to avoid stress.)
day 1_1.jpg day 1_3.jpg

Hi, I’m not an expert but you are doing what my kids call amaze-balls ! Researching everything and monitoring everything. I learned everything I know from these forums. Reading answers and asking for advice. I’ll be asking the same questions about enclosures (upgrading size) soon too. Some say full size is okay from day one, however I’ve read a lot of people say it’s great in a smaller enclosure as babies/juveniles as they can free range their food easily. As densely planted as your enclosure is I’m amazed your having any humidity issues...I think the two of us will learn a lot from EACH other...lol. Your doing an awesome job . Breath Cham mama... :)

Hahahaha, I'm trying to relax! I have too much time on my hands because I'm between careers :p Hence perfect time to start a new hobby like getting a chameleon to stress about every second of the day! I also know about "amaze-balls" because in June I quit my job as a high school teacher.

The humidity problems are really from the air conditioning....and I've even closed the vent to my room because I get cold...but I have this roommate/tenant........the AC has been an issue.... we can leave it at that. If I use a ceramic space heater it also zaps out the humidity! Long story short, I found me a free humidifier from a family friend. I just know I'm going to need it for winter anyway.

Thanks for answering. Now I get the trophy called "The Worrywart" right? lolllll :p I'm also just a humongous science nerd so I love learning all of this stuff. I have a background in physics and chemistry, though, so the biology side is new to me. This "soft science" stuff.... :rolleyes: :p

I’m getting my background in all things science all at once. I was a poor high school student, but managed to get a degree in Business Admin. afterwards in college...owning a Cham is a fantastic learning experience. Some of these guys and girls get into these convos. and I’m googling along..lol!!! Now, I’m smart but a lot of this is new to me. I’ll be in the market for a humidifier this winter. I live in NC and it gets dry in our home. I swear it was said that humidity swings were good as we are supposed to let it dry out between mists (which I do) for vieleds...hmmmm. Due to that being part of thier natural environment. Don’t quote me on anything though...I have a lot of time to talk b/c my wife is ill. She still works but has lupus and rheumatoid arthritis (at 36 y/o) and is taking chemo on Friday nights right now to calm down a flare up. No need for the im so sorry, or any of that...life happens. She doing well all things considered and this hobby and my work are keeping me sane...we also have two young teens. So life is busy full and a blur. I’m usually on here in the evening, my wife goes to bed way earlier right now due to her flare up . I’m so glad your guy came and was okay (looking all doo doo Brown, just like mine did) no worries it’ll change quickly. My kids were like “Dad you got screwed with the dooky brown lizard :ROFLMAO:...but it only lasted a maybe a week.

In regards to humidity - have you wrapped any sides of the cage?

Also with misting and general humidity... I like to often mist from outside the cage. I have two sides of my cage wrapped in plastic, so I’ll mist through the unwrapped side and also from the top of the cage. I usually only open the door to mist him if he’s at an angle I can’t really get to from outside of the cage. I like misting from the top especially because water droplets will stay for quite a while on the top of the cage and help with humidity. My Cham will also tilt his head up sometimes and drink the droplets after a mist session.

Also with misting and general humidity... I like to often mist from outside the cage. I have two sides of my cage wrapped in plastic, so I’ll mist through the unwrapped side and also from the top of the cage. I usually only open the door to mist him if he’s at an angle I can’t really get to from outside of the cage. I like misting from the top especially because water droplets will stay for quite a while on the top of the cage and help with humidity. My Cham will also tilt his head up sometimes and drink the droplets after a mist session.
My guy (vieled 5-6mos) doesn’t move when I mist. I heat half the water and it’s sprays barely lukewarm. He sometimes moves out of the way but usually just takes a shower and goes to a perch where he drinks from some plastic leaves (it’s his spot lol) I hope this is ok because his urates are really white and I’ve watched him drinking... he doesn’t seem to mind the barely lukewarm water. It was on one of the “enthusiasts” suggestion I started warming at all. Before I warmed he ran like heck. Now it’s lke he enjoys it. What’s your thoughts?

I haven't wrapped the sides of the cage because initially I wanted to make sure to get enough air flow and whatnot, but maybe wrapping a side or two wouldn't hurt that. I do have shower curtains on my walls and floors behind and under the whole set up. Has anyone had trouble with URI's when wrapping a side or two of the enclosure with shower curtains?

I might try misting from outside the cage! Great idea! I'm afraid to mist from the top with the light fixtures, especially because it seems like the placement of my basking bulb is SO specific and picky to get the temps right and he's just so shy right now. I also hate moving the top fixtures because it rattles the whole enclosure and I'm sure that stresses him out. Maybe as I continue to work on things and plan for his upgrade I can fix everything to the ceiling to make some of this easier.

Thank you so much for the advice!!

Today I tried warmer water and didn't get a different response, but again...day 3 together...so I also didn't expect any different. Tomorrow and for the next few days I'm going to try using mostly the Mistking, and see if he comes out when I'm not around to test to see if it's more of a "I hate mistings" or of a "I'm afraid of my new owner" thing. I love having a corner I can gentle peak around before he really notices me haha, but I have to act fast. They must be able to see pretty far even at a young age!!

I’ve read they like lukewarm mistings, and when I warm up my water it seems like he’s less “squirmy” when I mist. The urates and overall body condition seem to be the best indicators of hydration.

It has also taken him about a month to get used to being misted whatsoever.

I know what you mean about being concerned about the light. I was too, but I avoid misting directly under/at the light and haven’t had any problems. I also have tucked my light’s cords behind the cage so they don’t get wet at all (the back and right side of my cage are wrapped).

I’ll mist from the open side and from the top right hand side (my light sits on the left). It allows me to mist directly downwards, at an angle towards the left, and along the back.

I’ve read they like lukewarm mistings, and when I warm up my water it seems like he’s less “squirmy” when I mist. The urates and overall body condition seem to be the best indicators of hydration.

It has also taken him about a month to get used to being misted whatsoever.

I know what you mean about being concerned about the light. I was too, but I avoid misting directly under/at the light and haven’t had any problems. I also have tucked my light’s cords behind the cage so they don’t get wet at all (the back and right side of my cage are wrapped).

I’ll mist from the open side and from the top right hand side (my light sits on the left). It allows me to mist directly downwards, at an angle towards the left, and along the back.

Ah okay, that helps me visualize how I could try this! Still might be hard with my current small enclosure, but definitely possible! I might try in the morning when he's a little more alert and excited to chow down haha. Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom