Incubator failure--HELP!

jajeanpierre

Chameleon Enthusiast
My incubator is failing and it is full of quadricornis and gracilior eggs, some due to start hatching any day.

It is about 9 months old, the newest ExoTerra that heated and cooled. It worked perfectly until recently when the temperatures were starting to rise in the day as the chameleon room got warm. I moved it out of the closet in the chameleon room to a bathroom. I haven't turned on the heat in my house, so temps in the house will drop to low 60s at night and maybe high 60s in the day. The bathroom I put the incubator in is in the cold part of the house and it will have a more constant temperature. I've been incubating around 68F/69F. All eggs are quads and graciliors. I have 18 big beautiful gracilior eggs that will hit the 5-month mark in a few days.

I have two different ways of measuring the temperature other than the unit's display: a thermometer in the incubator plus a remote thermometer so I can read the temps at my desk. Right now, the temps are 64F, so they dropped quite a bit overnight. The highest I have noticed was around 71F, maybe 72F, during the day, so I think I am probably okay. Probably, but I am a bit beside myself.

I am currently checking temps on my floor in my bedroom closet with a remote thermometer under a blanket, hoping I can put the eggs there. My bedroom stays fairly constant.

I've ordered another incubator, same model simply because I need one that can both heat and cool right NOW. I would love to buy one of the incubators that the labs use but I just can't justify spending $1000. No, I am not handy and making one is really beyond me.

I am so worried about these gracilior eggs, that hit the 5-month mark January 27th.

Any advice or hand-holding would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear that you are having incubator problems. I know how much you are dedicated to your chameleons.
Wish I could say or do something more than wish you the best. Please keep us posted. I have 3 panther eggs that are hatching today.
A month after we expected them.

Kelly is selling some on the cheap ReptiPro Incubators | Chameleon Forums hope this helps
Thanks. Yesterday I ordered a new incubator, even though it is the same one I have. Better to go with the devil I know.... But there is also that rather apt saying that goes something like, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result....

I'm just hoping another quad breeder can give me some suggestions, especially of what temps I should be aiming for given the history of constant 68F/69F temps until very recently when temps increased to 71F/72F during the day (oh, I hope it was only 72F!!!!) for eggs that are expected to hatch any day.

Fingers crossed everything turns out alright. It would be a shame to lose those eggs. I know you've mentioned how rare gracilior are in the US.

Back
Top Bottom