How is the last Bradypodion shipment doing?

ChamMan7

Established Member
Havent heard anything for a while, so figured I would ask how everyone who had gotten some Bradys from the last Bradypodion shipment was doing with them.. Any success?

I lost a few from the first one(beginners mistakes). However my remaining 3.3 is doing well and one female is gravid. She is due any day now. :) Mine are b.thamnobates

a8y4ujy9.jpg

I lost a few from the first one(beginners mistakes). However my remaining 3.3 is doing well and one female is gravid. She is due any day now. :) Mine are b.thamnobates

a8y4ujy9.jpg

That is awesome... Well done! It is good to hear that at least a couple of people are having success. What was it that got to your first couple of thamnobates? It would be good to get a little more discussion going on these guys.

Congrats on the gravid female! Fingers definitely crossed !

There has been 4 imports of Bradypodion species since I started importing them in 2009 I think. Would have to look that up. 2 from me and 2 from Paul from the same source. I think there might still be 2 out of 19 from the first shipment still alive, a few of 20 from the second shipment still alive (one woman bred the transvaalense and has offspring at the moment), as for the 2 Paul brought in, I am not sure on that.

These guys arent for everyone but there are people who have great luck with them. I guess you dont really know until you try. Its crazy how even slightly different husbandry can make or break the success. I never did any good with them the two times I tried to keep them and I have had some pretty rare chams with specific care last a long time. Its just the name of the game I guess. I would like to hear from everyone who is having success with them also!

It is definitely interesting to see how the tiniest details of their care can influence the outcome. I wonder what the Europeans are doing to have such great success with them. It definitely is a shame to hear that so many of them passed, but again, good to hear a few people are having success.

Honestly I just wanted to try my hand at them, and had the opportunity. I'm glad I did.

As for the Europeans success, there are a few(maybe more) that are actually breeding them multiple generations with success. Many of the others, well, they rely on the "black market" to keep up with their collections....

The biggest downfall with bradypodion(mainly b. Thamnobates and b. Pumilum) is there is very limited blood available. Since SA does not allow export of any of its bradypodion(with the exception of b. transvaalense, from one northern province.) It makes it highly likely we here in the US will fail long term with bradypodion. Unless RSA magically opens for export of their precious resources, its pretty much inevitable....

I have pair each of Pumilum and Transvaalense from Paul Dec 2012. They are coloring up nicely. Both are very healthy, active and I am hoping amorous! I feed mainly 1/8" crix and Hydei w rotating supplements dusted. I also add in Blue Bottle flies and baby superworms 1-2 times a week.I have found they need large amnts of outddor sun and become very reclusive if kept in artificial lighting too long (ie more than a week) w/o sun.

Honestly I just wanted to try my hand at them, and had the opportunity. I'm glad I did.

As for the Europeans success, there are a few(maybe more) that are actually breeding them multiple generations with success. Many of the others, well, they rely on the "black market" to keep up with their collections....

The biggest downfall with bradypodion(mainly b. Thamnobates and b. Pumilum) is there is very limited blood available. Since SA does not allow export of any of its bradypodion(with the exception of b. transvaalense, from one northern province.) It makes it highly likely we here in the US will fail long term with bradypodion. Unless RSA magically opens for export of their precious resources, its pretty much inevitable....

That is quite sad, seeing as this also keeps Bradys from being legally exported in the long run. And I think you are quite right. I seriously doubt there is much chance of long term success with these guys if things keep continuing the way they are with the amount of blood available in the US. It really seems that you could count the number of people keeping bradys on two or three hands.

I have pair each of Pumilum and Transvaalense from Paul Dec 2012. They are colring up nicely. Both are very healthy, active and I am hoping amorous!<3 I have noticed an appreciable difference with large amounts of outdoor sun. They become very reclusive under artificial lighting for too long. I feed Blue bottle flys, baby superworms, 1/8" crix (dusted w supplements) and Hydei (also dusted). I have also found like others they like it dry w 2 short misting sessions per day no more.

That is extremely interesting, and a very good observation. I believe That is the kind of thing keepers should start looking for if there is to be any chance of long term success with them.

Al, is that the picture of your gravid female? Just curious how old she is and how much she weighs. Ruth

I am not positive on her age, I put it somewhere around 14-16 months. She weighs around 19g

Females should be around 10-12 g before considering breeding.

Last edited:
I have pair each of Pumilum and Transvaalense from Paul Dec 2012. They are coloring up nicely. Both are very healthy, active and I am hoping amorous! I feed mainly 1/8" crix and Hydei w rotating supplements dusted. I also add in Blue Bottle flies and baby superworms 1-2 times a week.I have found they need large amnts of outddor sun and become very reclusive if kept in artificial lighting too long (ie more than a week) w/o sun.

You may have the reason I lost both of mine. I live in Montana, so very little outside time for my chams. Guess it will just be me and my quads.

That is quite sad, seeing as this also keeps Bradys from being legally exported in the long run. And I think you are quite right. I seriously doubt there is much chance of long term success with these guys if things keep continuing the way they are with the amount of blood available in the US. It really seems that you could count the number of people keeping bradys on two or three hands.

I was actually amazed at seeing any Bradypodions in the USA ever (after Berts captive breds). There are some countries such as South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand that never allow their wildlife to be exported and even though Europe occasionally receives some Bradypodions that arrive from South Africa to have those actually make it to the USA was a big surprise. When you say the long run I do not think that applies here as they are not that available and are not imported that consistently to the USA. However if they did show up again and the timing was OK for me I would probably go for breeding groups of one species before working with multiple Bradypodion species. I think with more experience keepers in the USA are capable of long term accomplished breeding of many Bradypodion species.

I still have all of my Bradypodion except for 2 that I have lost, one to a RI, and the other was for unknown reasons. I still have a group of 10 that are doing great, and have been outside 24/7 for the last month or so and should be able to stay out until just about December.
I know a handful of breeders in Europe/Scandinavia that have amazing success with them, and breed multiple generations of them. The main difference with the way they keep theirs over there, and the way we do here is that when they have theirs housed indoors, they provide them with high intensity lighting, such as HID or metal halides. I have been told that they may need this very intense lighting to thrive, but it hasnt been proven. Another reason why it could be that without allowing them to spend much of the year outdoors they may not do as well. It doesnt get any better than natural sunlight, that even beats HID or halides:)
As far as bloodlines are concerned, there are many species, not just Bradypodion that have always been illegally brought into Europe, and other parts of the world, and this is one way that unfortunately or fortunately, there will probably always be new bloodlines of Bradypodion. I know of at least 6 different bloodlines off the top of my head for people in Europe breeding Bradypodion. That doesnt mean I have access to all to send them all in the same shipment, but the possibility is there.
I plan on importing more cb Bradypodion later this year or early next with new bloodlines from any that I have previously imported, along with some other goodies;)

I did receive a couple PMs from Kylerenz who got two thamnobates from the first ever shipment. He said his friend is keeping them and they are still alive to this day so Ill ask him a bit about the husbandry they have received. Its definitely nice to know that some people are having success with at least keeping them alive! Hopefully this continues and others who want to work with them will have an even better idea how to keep them.

I still have all of my Bradypodion except for 2 that I have lost, one to a RI, and the other was for unknown reasons. I still have a group of 10 that are doing great, and have been outside 24/7 for the last month or so and should be able to stay out until just about December.
I know a handful of breeders in Europe/Scandinavia that have amazing success with them, and breed multiple generations of them. The main difference with the way they keep theirs over there, and the way we do here is that when they have theirs housed indoors, they provide them with high intensity lighting, such as HID or metal halides. I have been told that they may need this very intense lighting to thrive, but it hasnt been proven. Another reason why it could be that without allowing them to spend much of the year outdoors they may not do as well. It doesnt get any better than natural sunlight, that even beats HID or halides:)
As far as bloodlines are concerned, there are many species, not just Bradypodion that have always been illegally brought into Europe, and other parts of the world, and this is one way that unfortunately or fortunately, there will probably always be new bloodlines of Bradypodion. I know of at least 6 different bloodlines off the top of my head for people in Europe breeding Bradypodion. That doesnt mean I have access to all to send them all in the same shipment, but the possibility is there.
I plan on importing more cb Bradypodion later this year or early next with new bloodlines from any that I have previously imported, along with some other goodies;)

That is awesome news! also, it definitely does seem that success with these guys is consistent with very, very intense artificial lighting or natural sun at all times. Reading through the thread it seems that that is what most people who are having success with them are noticing. I was seriously considering purchasing a few from your last import, but i had also read a lot about their lighting requirements and living in Northern Va, it really just does not work out having them outside most of the year.

That is fantastic news that you still have a large group. Good luck with them!

Well, being that most of all Bradypodion breeders live in northern Europe, Virginia cant be any worse than that. If you can provide the lighting I think theyd do fine, if keeping them outside for a good part of the year isnt an option, which I dont see why it wouldnt be.

Well, being that most of all Bradypodion breeders live in northern Europe, Virginia cant be any worse than that. If you can provide the lighting I think theyd do fine, if keeping them outside for a good part of the year isnt an option, which I dont see why it wouldnt be.

Very true, didnt think about that. Northern Va is just very inconsistent with its weather patterns to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom